Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Internet 50mb 99c a day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    So is that good for me?

if you're going over the 99c it makes no difference to you

just sent this to meteor, which i hope they got because i got a 404 on the next page:

edit: i realised i don't really want my user name associated with my real name at meteor. nvm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I think i might just send my email to cc.

Are you submitting that throught the supid feedback yoke? Asking all the questions before you are allowed to submit anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

JMC, we used this.

Hmmm, I got a 404 also. Hopefully it went through, might be an idea to post up my comments here also (as I'm pretty sure there's a lot of Meteor staff that read the forum).

EDIT: Here's what I wrote (not quite as eloquent as Sam Vimes).
    To whom it concerns,

I'm writing to you regarding the new mobile internet offer of 99c a day for up to 50mb of data.

I have to say that I'm quite disappointed by the offering. Certainly it's a lot better than the previous offering of merely 2c per kb, but having been on the 3g trial for the past two months (and gotten quite used to browsing on the go), I was hoping that a data add-on of sorts (as per the current offerings on Bill Pay) would be launched to feed heavy usage users instead of just a per day offer.

Even with only light browsing, most users will easily reach the 50kb cap and spend the minimum 99c, however in order to get full value from the 99c and use up to their 50mb, most users will probably browse pages with large images, listen to internet audio and browse youtube, If people are browsing such heavy content when getting close to the 99c cap, it could easily happen that they will run over, thus getting charged 2c per kb for anything over. One youtube video too many and people could spend tens of euros of credit!

Even if I were to keep below the 50mb cap per day (which would be fine most days, but not always), I'd still spend the 99c as I will easily reach 50kb over the course of a day. This will add up to almost €30 per month, just on data. Add this to the usual €30euro or so per month that I spend on calls and texts and I'll end up spending at least €60 per month.

I've been a meteor customer for many years now, and have always been loyal and a fan of their offers. Call charges have always been reasonable and I had hoped that once the 3g network was being rolled out that competitive data charges would also arise, but this isn't the case and the current offering is a massive disappointment.

I had been considering switching to Bill Pay for quite some time, and think I may do so following this disaster of an offer that I was hoping would be far more appealing than it turned out.
    Whether I'll move to Meteor Billpay or to another network is still a dilemma I'll need to consider strongly. At the moment I'd be inclined to move away as even the data add-ons on meteor Billpay are laughable when compared to your competitors.

I mise le meas...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

People getting 404s from this site?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    People getting 404s from this site?
    Only after you press submit. It goes to here

• Advertisement

EDIT: Here's what I wrote (not quite as eloquent as smccarrick).
    Ehhh... where did smccarrick post his letter of compaint? :confused:

Lads I've found the solution to this issue. One of us needs to go for this job :pac:

Ehhh... where did smccarrick post his letter of compaint? :confused:
    Oops. That what you get when people's usernames start with the same letter. :confused:

Duly edited.
    Lads I've found the solution to this issue. One of us needs to go for this job :pac:
    Pfffh, they want me to have a 3rd level degree. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Here's my bit
    Re your new PAYG data rates.
    I am a loyal Meteor customer, currently on the PAYG 3G trial.
    I've been looking forward to Meteor bringing out a competitive pricing structure for regular data users.
    I'm afraid I can't be paying over 29 euros a month for my bit of browsing as I commute.
    I would urge you to consider a flat monthly fee. 99c a day doesn't work for Vodafone, it won't work for you guys.

Has anybody got any feedback yet? They around all be 404ing and posting the form to a dead link for all we know.

Has anybody got an email address for then that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Are you sure that the charge for Data/ISP APNs has been upped to 2c, somone who should know told be the per kB price should remain the same (up to 99c)?

• Advertisement

dubber wrote: »
    Are you sure that the charge for Data/ISP APNs has been upped to 2c, somone who should know told be the per kB price should remain the same (up to 99c)?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57063259&postcount=84

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Sam Vimes wrote: »

so much for my reliable sources :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

or log on to mymeteor and fill in comment / feedback, bottom left. some charity gets benefit i think for each comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I would glady pay for a good data plan per day. I have an iPhone so its always handy to have EDGE out and about. But at 99c a day, no thanks. And I don't have the ability for go to Pay Monthly.

Come on Meteor. Be the first ones to offer a Data Plan Add On. Even a monthly opt in.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I would glady pay for a good data plan per day. I have an iPhone so its always handy to have EDGE out and about. But at 99c a day, no thanks. And I don't have the ability for go to Pay Monthly.

Come on Meteor. Be the first ones to offer a Data Plan Add On. Even a monthly opt in.

technically they'd be the second but the other one is 3 so they don't count :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

SSorry now but after reading all these posts i am confused, Can i use isp access on my iphone for 99c a day?

The iPhone will cost you data even before you browse. The EDGE capability constantly updates Stocks, Weather etc, so you could go through a fair bit of credit before even browsing. Plus, YouTube needs huge data plans. Small videos can be 30+ Mb

To recap, Meteor allow 50 mb per day. You are charged for all data @ 2c a Kilobyte until you get to 99c. Then if you use more than 50mb you get charged per kb again.

ironclaw wrote: »
    YouTube needs huge data plans. Small videos can be 30+ Mb

Flv files are not that big.
    More like 10MB for 4-5min video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Just got off the phone right now to some fella from Meteor. He was responding to the feedback I sent (which means despite the 404 message the e-mails were going through).

Basically Meteor are going to do nothing. After about five minutes I got him to agree that the rates were ridiculous, and he said he'd pass it along to his boss. Nothing fruitfull came from the conversation - except now I know I have "a good business mind" and that I "know where I'm going in life". Lovely. :rolleyes:

[edit]Btw, he stated that the minute you log on you are charged 99c. Not 2c a KB until you reach 99c. I asked him to confirm what he said and he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Just got my meter bill yesterday.
    I agree that i went on the net alot but just added it up and for approx. 40mb of data during the month I paid 182 euro excl. vat.
    I just bought a 250mb bundle for 10 euro.
    There seems to be a huge difference between the bundle and without the bundle.
    When did this 99c thing come in.
    Also when talking to meteor they said that if I changed my internet phone settings to data instead of isp it is faster.

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Also when talking to meteor they said that if I changed my internet phone settings to data instead of isp it is faster.
    Not true. They are both the same speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Just got my meter bill yesterday.
    I agree that i went on the net alot but just added it up and for approx. 40mb of data during the month I paid 182 euro excl. vat.
    I just bought a 250mb bundle for 10 euro.
    There seems to be a huge difference between the bundle and without the bundle.
    When did this 99c thing come in.

Why not just get an iPhone. 1GB plus 175 mins and 100 (and your webtexts directly from your iPhone on top of that) texts for €45 pm.

At least you'll have no fear of going over in data allowance.

possibly because the iphone is more ridiculously overpriced than the internet used to be and the tariff that caused him to pay that much no longer exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    possibly because the iphone is more ridiculously overpriced than the internet used to be and the tariff that caused him to pay that much no longer exists

Im actually spending much less now than i did with 3.

I never go over the €45 and the web capabilities and wi-fi are well worth a look.

As a heavy user of mobile data i havent found a package that compares. Though i have to say i hate apple with a passion, the iPhone isnt half bad at all though. Its just the data bundle really that does it for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

hah won't be using that waffle for a few years then

If you buy an 02 iPhone... No way. Its cheaper to fly to the US, unlock one and bring it back than it is to own one on O2.

iPhone 3G (Basic Tarrif)

€229 - One Off
    €45 - Per Month for 18 months minimum

Total: €1039

I'm sure you could fly to the US and buy an iPhone on the dollar exchange for for that.

Then just go to Vodafone and get a nice big 3G Data plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Has anybody got any feedback yet? They around all be 404ing and posting the form to a dead link for all we know.

Has anybody got an email address for then that works?

Just got an email re feedback on rhe data plan.
    Basically "sorry you're not happy, comments will be forwarded on to the relevant department".
    Maybe with a few more people making their feelings known they might bring in a decent plan pre 3G go live ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

quick question when meteor say per day

do they mean from midnight to midnight or 24 hour period from your first download

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

cdebru wrote: »
    quick question when meteor say per day

do they mean from midnight to midnight or 24 hour period from your first download
    They mean from midnight to midnight.

It's a pretty safe bet to assume that if you use data on your phone you will be paying 99c each day you use it.

The only way you will benefit from the 2c/KB up to 99c is if you hit the internet button by mistake :(

In all seriousness though - I'm probaby going to be using it. Why? Because it's better than what was there and I sorta used it beforehand too. So yes, things are better but no, they're not ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement