Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Internet 50mb 99c a day

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I wont be using it. I used to only use my phone for checking mail and using bart/cabbage. This was ideal with the isp charge as it was the cheapest price of the big 3 for unbundled data.

They have now increased the price of access by 400%

My 20c per day internet cost has now jumped to 80c, nearly at the 99c limit.

I better hurry up with this message. Its getting near twelve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this morning i absent mindedly took my phone out and loaded boards and then said to myself "crap, that's after costing me a euro"

so i got my moneys worth by watching tv the whole way to work on the train. (everyone should get a slingbox btw)

now i have the problem that i'm very likely to go over the 50 mb. I used it for an hour yesterday and it used over 30mb. This tariff is f*cking useless :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

*#105#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

zuroph wrote: »
    *#105#

why did you post that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Random wrote: »
    why did you post that?
    +1

I was thinking that myself.

Get those linestats yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

OK - the *#105# is giving me "you have 50MB left today". Thing is, I haven't used any Meteor data today. There's no data calls in MyMeteor either.
    So, is this just a bug or are ex-trial people getting free access ?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    t
    now i have the problem that i'm very likely to go over the 50 mb. I used it for an hour yesterday and it used over 30mb. This tariff is f*cking useless :mad:
    *#105#

thats why.
    long_b wrote: »
    OK - the *#105# is giving me "you have 50MB left today". Thing is, I haven't used any Meteor data today. There's no data calls in MyMeteor either.
    So, is this just a bug or are ex-trial people getting free access ?
    it'll say u have 50mb left when u havent used it at all. as in, u still have the full 50mb of a 99c package to use before u go above 99c.

thats why.

streaming on the phone uses an awful lot of data. as i posted earlier, an hour used over 30mb. on that day i actually used about 60 mb, the 30 mb was one session. *#105# is pretty much useless to me because i'll have to cut out of the tv every 2 or 3 minutes to make sure i haven't gone over the limit

and of course if i miss the window by a minute or two i'll know i've gone over as it'll cut out because my credit is gone. what's needed is an automatic text when you're getting close but meteor told me they don't do that

edit: or it should cut you off at 50 mb. unless you have a few hundred euro credit you're going to get cut off very shortly afterwards anyway

streaming on the phone uses an awful lot of data. as i posted earlier, an hour used over 30mb. on that day i actually used about 60 mb, the 30 mb was one session. *#105# is pretty much useless to me because i'll have to cut out of the tv every 2 or 3 minutes to make sure i haven't gone over the limit

and of course if i miss the window by a minute or two i'll know i've gone over as it'll cut out because my credit is gone. what's needed is an automatic text when you're getting close but meteor told me they don't do that

edit: or it should cut you off at 50 mb. unless you have a few hundred euro credit you're going to get cut off very shortly afterwards anyway
    ah i mis-read u, i thought u were saying ur in danger of going over the 50mb LATER in the day. i didnt know u meant u might already have gone over.
    i totally agree that there should be some warning at the 50mb mark

if you haven't used anything it says you have 50meg left. This makes sense. Maybe a little misleading because you think it should say 50meg not relevant yet?

Meteor call history doesn't update for an hour or so anyway, so going out to check your usage every two mins might not make any difference, but i could be wrong.

I do think a way to cut off after 50meg would be nice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Just seen this now - can you use an unlocked iphone with this or is it only the 3g network? Be handy if it was edge as well but I can't see that in the FAQ's?

thanks

bindybandy wrote: »
    Just seen this now - can you use an unlocked iphone with this or is it only the 3g network? Be handy if it was edge as well but I can't see that in the FAQ's?

thanks
    Edge as well.

Random wrote: »
    Meteor call history doesn't update for an hour or so anyway, so going out to check your usage every two mins might not make any difference, but i could be wrong.

Just to clarify this now that I've used it. I checked I had 46meg or whatever, I watched singbox for 3 or 4 mins. I then had 43meg left.

It seems to update as good as live.

Now all we need is a cut off valve so it doesn't keep charging when you hit 50meg so that you can stop it to curtail costs.

is there a way of making a cut off valve through java perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Was going to reply to this thread about the meteor plan, but I Googled "slingbox" after reading it there, is this what you're talking about? OMFG!? Does that actually work? If so it looks amazing!

Back on topic. To be fair to Meteor (which I don't usually like doing!), it's a simpler pricing structure for the majority of customers who don't have a clue what a kb is, i.e. most of them. €1 = 1 day. Does make you wonder, however, if many people who don't understand their data download usage would be using mobile internet yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Edge as well.

Sweet might just well swap for that. I'm on vodaphone pay as you go. I know they do something similar but I think it's oonly 3G - anyone know if I have that right? I tried edge once on iphone and spent about 3 euros in about 2 mins so it seemed very expensive!

failsafe wrote: »
    Was going to reply to this thread about the meteor plan, but I Googled "slingbox" after reading it there, is this what you're talking about? OMFG!? Does that actually work? If so it looks amazing!
    yes it works. It can be a bit jumpy on the phone if you don't have proper coverage but it works alright. To get the full benefit from it you'd want to be using it on a laptop over wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bindybandy wrote: »
    Sweet might just well swap for that. I'm on vodaphone pay as you go. I know they do something similar but I think it's oonly 3G - anyone know if I have that right?

Vodafone live is a better offer and you'll have more 3G coverage....you can use up to 50mb (the same as meteor) per day for between 15c and 99c..

Meteor and 02' pay as you go data prices are by far the worst of the 4 networks...there is no monthly add on you could buy for maybe 1gb of data, what this means is if you want to use a Gig of data on Meteor and 02 is will cost you €20,971.52(meteor) per month or €10,485.76(02).:(

the only networks to consider for data are Vodafone who give you 500mb for €9.99pm or Three give you 1Gb for €9.99pm...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

failsafe wrote: »

Don't bother with a slingbox - buy a cheap PC tv card for your PC and download ORb for free. Not only can you watch live TV but you'll be able to watch recorded TV and view your photos / stream your music library. Even better if you have Windows media centre too.

Vodafone live is a better offer and you'll have more 3G coverage....you can use up to 50mb (the same as meteor) per day for between 15c and 99c..
    it's not so much a better offer as exactly the same offer and on vodafone it's only on the proxied live access point so java apps don't work properly. They do have more 3g coverage but the folks who make opera mini say that extensive tests showed their browser worked at exactly the same speed with 2g and 3g
    Meteor and 02' pay as you go data prices are by far the worst of the 4 networks...there is no monthly add on you could buy for maybe 1gb of data
    vodafone don't have an add on either, only 3 do
    , what this means is if you want to use a Gig of data on Meteor and 02 is will cost you 20,971.52(meteor)
    that is not true and you know it's not. That tariff no longer exists on pre pay and i know you know it no longer exists because you're posting in the thread about their new tariff and you even mentioned it in the previous paragraph!
    per month or 10,485.76(02).:(
    this is true
    the only networks to consider for data are Vodafone who give you 500mb for 9.99pm or Three give you 1Gb for 9.99pm...;)
    vodafone only give you that on bill pay. On bill pay, meteor give you either 250mb for e9.99 or 10gb for e30 and o2 give you 250mb for 7.50 or a 10 gb add on for a price i can't remember

and again, vodafone's add on is only on the live access point which is great as long as you don't want something crazy like email or opera mini, neither of which work on it

• Advertisement

it's not so much a better offer as exactly the same offer and on vodafone it's only on the proxied live access point so java apps don't work properly. They do have more 3g coverage but the folks who make opera mini say that extensive tests showed their browser worked at exactly the same speed with 2g and 3g

vodafone don't have an add on either, only 3 do

that is not true and you know it's not. That tariff no longer exists on pre pay and i know you know it no longer exists because you're posting in the thread about their new tariff and you even mentioned it in the previous paragraph!

this is true

vodafone only give you that on bill pay. On bill pay, meteor give you either 250mb for e7.50 or 10gb for e30 and o2 give you 250mb for 7.50 or a 10 gb add on for a price i can't remember

and again, vodafone's add on is only on the live access point which is great as long as you don't want something crazy like email or opera mini, neither of which work on it
    very impressive quoting there sam for someone on a mobile :P

very impressive quoting there sam for someone on a mobile :P
    why thank you :D
    Don't bother with a slingbox - buy a cheap PC tv card for your PC and download ORb for free. Not only can you watch live TV but you'll be able to watch recorded TV and view your photos / stream your music library. Even better if you have Windows media centre too.
    with orb i wouldn't be able to change the channels on my sky box would i? It's only good for analogue tv right?

also, i'm working on the following:
    1. a script running on an apache server on my pc that lists my media directories and when i select a file it puts the file name in a text file in a temp directory
    2. a vb program that polls the directory and if it finds a file in it, it reads the file to get the specified media file and uses command line switches to load vlc in full screen mode and play the video
    3. All this is of course passed through my gfx card with tv out to the sling box

et voila :)

with orb i wouldn't be able to change the channels on my sky box would i? It's only good for analogue tv right?

also, i'm working on the following:
    1. a script running on an apache server on my pc that lists my media directories and when i select a file it puts the file name in a text file in a temp directory
    2. a vb program that polls the directory and if it finds a file in it, it reads the file to get the specified media file and uses command line switches to load vlc in full screen mode and play the video
    3. All this is of course passed through my gfx card with tv out to the sling box

et voila

Would you not just be better bypassing the slingbox altogether and let vlc stream it as rstp or rtp? :confused:

can vlc do that? I know it can make an rtsp request to a server and receive the stream but can it receive an rtsp request from an external device and send the stream to it? I think that to do that i'd have to install a streaming server on the pc. Would i not?

can vlc do that? I know it can make an rtsp request to a server and receive the stream but can it receive an rtsp request from an external device and send the stream to it? I think that to do that i'd have to install a streaming server on the pc. Would i not?
    I am F5ing like mad here.....

I believe so.

Let your apache server send the command to vlc via http or telnet and then connect to your ip at the relevant port.

http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch05.html

I am F5ing like mad here.....
    :D

i think i might just save myself the hassle of all that and just use orb for content on my pc. While it is interesting to make these things myself, it looks like orb will do everything i want except change the channels on my sky box, which the slingbox will do. I didn't know it existed up til now. Thanks for that jimmy

I believe so.

Let your apache server send the command to vlc via http or telnet and then connect to your ip at the relevant port.

http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch05.html

ah i see. Vlc essentially sets itself up as a streaming server by generating the rtsp stream and then listening for requests from a client. Of course i'd still have to write the script to read the directory and set up vlc and orb seems to do all this for me so i think i'll just give that a shot first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yeah, I was at one of them focus groups also. Wasn't happy about the 99c a day business and said as much.

The price plan basically looks like this:

1kb - 50kb = 2c per kb Very few people will fall into this category and be charged less than 99c. Maybe if you send just a few texts on Cabbage and browse one or two mobile/text based sites.

50kb - 50mb = 99c This is the category where most people will fall into, any normal web-page browsing, a small image or two and you're in the 99c bracket already. Remember, this works out as the guts of 30quid per month if you browse daily.

50mb+ = (99c + 2c per kb) Unlikely most normal users will ever go over this, unless they are constantly on Youtube or using their phone as a modem. You'd want to browse normally for 40 minutes to an hour a day to get anywhere near to passing the 50mb.

This has most likely been said but I can't read through 120+ posts so:

Under the old rate, the first caegory there, 50c/kb IS A EURO PER DAY ANYWAY - surely most people (who fall into 2nd category) are GAINING by this?

• Advertisement

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    This has most likely been said but I can't read through 120+ posts so:

Under the old rate, the first caegory there, 50c/kb IS A EURO PER DAY ANYWAY - surely most people (who fall into 2nd category) are GAINING by this?

the new tariff is better than the old one but the old one would bankrupt someone if they watched a single youtube video. It couldn't but get better (although the per kb price increased on the data apn). It's better but nowhere near good enough to make daily mobile browsing a viable option. Would you be ok with paying e30 a month for 1 single google search a day?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement