Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Internet 50mb 99c a day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

long_b wrote: »
    I knew that if I kept reading this thread there'd be some real info at some stage :)

you think ;) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jjpm

OK, first off I think I should say that I work for Meteor (as I think I’m meant to say?). That said there are a few comments I’d like to make having read what you’ve all said so far.

As we know, prepay customers using the mobile internet (on Meteor via any of the APN’s) will be charged 2c per kB for the first 50kB of usage, 99c for any usage between 50kB and 50MB and 2c per kB thereafter. Now, I know some of you don’t like that but it is my understanding this is based upon a quite detailed analysis of the company’s general customer profile.

Anyway, picking up some of the points you’ve all raised, whilst it is true that one could be charged €30 a month for 1.5MB of data (using 50kB per day for 30 days), it is also the case that one could be charged €30 a month for 1,500MB of data (that is, using 50MB per day for 30 days). Going to either extreme is a bit silly I think.

Separately, I’d like to repeat what a few others have said that, really, the up to 99c per day offer isn’t intended for some of the heavy usage that most of you have been talking about as one of the problems with this offer – that’s what Bill Pay is for. And, looking at the prepay market as a whole, Meteor offers pretty good value all told. If you take a fairly decent value of 15MB per user you’d pay up to 99c per day with Meteor through any APN, up to 99c per day with Vodafone (only through the Vodafone live! APN), €153.60 with O2 or with a €5 with a Three add-on (that is, using the 3Pay Broadband 10GB add-on which allows browsing for €5 per day).

So we won’t all agree about the merits of this offer but, with Meteor launching 3G soon and expecting most customers to up their usage a little in line with the new services on offer, I think this offer is pretty good value for all of them. And, honestly, this isn’t me being a Meteor gremlin!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

jjpm wrote: »
    OK, first off I think I should say that I work for Meteor (as I think I’m meant to say?). That said there are a few comments I’d like to make having read what you’ve all said so far.

As we know, prepay customers using the mobile internet (on Meteor via any of the APN’s) will be charged 2c per kB for the first 50kB of usage, 99c for any usage between 50kB and 50MB and 2c per kB thereafter. Now, I know some of you don’t like that but it is my understanding this is based upon a quite detailed analysis of the company’s general customer profile.

Anyway, picking up some of the points you’ve all raised, whilst it is true that one could be charged €30 a month for 1.5MB of data (using 50kB per day for 30 days), it is also the case that one could be charged €30 a month for 1,500MB of data (that is, using 50MB per day for 30 days). Going to either extreme is a bit silly I think.

Separately, I’d like to repeat what a few others have said that, really, the up to 99c per day offer isn’t intended for some of the heavy usage that most of you have been talking about as one of the problems with this offer – that’s what Bill Pay is for. And, looking at the prepay market as a whole, Meteor offers pretty good value all told. If you take a fairly decent value of 15MB per user you’d pay up to 99c per day with Meteor through any APN, up to 99c per day with Vodafone (only through the Vodafone live! APN), €153.60 with O2 or with a €5 with a Three add-on (that is, using the 3Pay Broadband 10GB add-on which allows browsing for €5 per day).

So we won’t all agree about the merits of this offer but, with Meteor launching 3G soon and expecting most customers to up their usage a little in line with the new services on offer, I think this offer is pretty good value for all of them. And, honestly, this isn’t me being a Meteor gremlin!
    I would have no problem with this offer if meteor left the long standing 0.5c/kb isp apn in place.

They have gotten rid of this and hence increased my internet costs by 400% as I do not go over the 99c threshold.

Last time I checked we weren't living in Zimbabwe with hyperinflation. Inflation is only running at about 5%.

Do you think this is fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Think I'll probably move to bill pay. I miss the internet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I miss boards mobile :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Meteor launching 3G soon

I'm getting really tired of this hype about a forthcoming Meteor 3G network, it looks like your just strining along customers in the hope they won't jump ship to a real 3G netwrok...

When do you expect it to be launched and how long before your 3G network is as big as 3, 02 or Vodafones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i was told in store recently full roll out by january, is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they had a 3g trial for the last 3 months, the network is up and running. They're hardly stringing people along. And i've been watching live tv over an edge connection for about a week now and it's been fine. 3g does not a good network make

to the guy from meteor, bill pay is for people who want less hassle buying paying a bill rather than topping up, among other things. I want one thing, a data add on. Signing up to bill pay would give me an awful lot of things i don't want and would result in me paying 5 to 6 times more a month than i currently do. I want data, but not that much

edit:the 3pay add on is 10 euro for 1gb for a month, the add on you're talking about is different

zuroph wrote: »
    i was told in store recently full roll out by january, is this true?

I don't believe they have a hope of National 3G coverage by January.....Maybe January 2012 but not this year.....I could be wrong but I doubt it.....

I don't believe they have a hope of National 3G coverage by January.....Maybe January 2012 but not this year.....I could be wrong but I doubt it.....

since no networks in ireland have national 3g coverage, you're probably right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

€30 for 1.5MB would be crazy, but you say €30 for 1.5GB is silly? I still think that's a bit overpriced. Three offer 1GB for €9.99 for 30 days.

Also, when you say "with a €5 with a Three add-on (that is, using the 3Pay Broadband 10GB add-on which allows browsing for €5 per day).", I'm not sure what you mean. You seem to be referring to the prepay Broadband rather than the mobile internet (granted you can use the broadband on your phone) but the 10GB add on is €25 for 30 days. They have a €5 add on that is 500MB for one day.
    These limits are very high for a phone and are there for people using it with their laptop, that is why they have prepay broadband and a seperate 1GB mobile surfing add on.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    since no networks in ireland have national 3g coverage, you're probably right

what ever happend to the National Broadband strategy, I thought the Government were going to help one of the Networks cover the last 10% of the population......is it going through the courts at the moment.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Jmc .. stop going on about ISP going back to KB charging. The 99c should be opt in and that's it. WAP at 99c is worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm getting really tired of this hype about a forthcoming Meteor 3G network, it looks like your just strining along customers in the hope they won't jump ship to a real 3G netwrok...

When do you expect it to be launched and how long before your 3G network is as big as 3, 02 or Vodafones?

What's forthcoming? As was said, the network is up and running in Dublin (and I believe Cork too, just no trial down there) and many people from here have tried it, and been fairly happy with the speeds, though obviously, they're probably experiencing the benefits of a network built for hundreds of thousands with less than 1000 people on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

the up to 99c per day offer isn’t intended for some of the heavy usage
    Or regular usage even

with Meteor launching 3G soon and expecting most customers to up their usage a little in line with the new services on offer!

Hey jjpm, can you tell if the new BillPay tariffs will have any data included ? Or even free Meteor to Meteor calls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

The first phase of the 3G network has already been rolled out. Many customers took part in the 3G trial over the last few months with great success.

The first phase will see most of Dublin and Cork covered with some sites going up in Waterford. The first phase will go live to all customers towards the end of September. There are strict COMREG regulations regarding the 3G license so the second and third phase roll out will cover a good percentage of the country.

No network is likely to roll out 3G to the whole country. It's not feasible in area's with low population due to the cost of the technology.

Where Meteor has an advantage over the other networks is that they already have an EDGE network covering the majority of the country so where customers cant pick up 3G signal they will be able to roll back to 2.75G.

Random wrote: »
    Jmc .. stop going on about ISP going back to KB charging. The 99c should be opt in and that's it. WAP at 99c is worthless.
    All im saying is that I am now worse off than before.

If they do of course bring out a data plan I'll happily make use of it. :)

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    Where Meteor has an advantage over the other networks is that they already have an EDGE network covering the majority of the country so where customers cant pick up 3G signal they will be able to roll back to 2.75G.

and i'd say JMC is going to agree with me here..:D

Where 3 has and advantage over the other networks is that they already have a 3G Video network covering the country so where customers can't pick up a 3G signal they will be able to roll back to 2.75G..

I can jack my nokia into any tv and I get portable sky sports for €1.99 a week and free calls and text to 100 million people all with free unlimited data...

lol, it's pretty funny how other network heads will pay for something 3 heads already get for free....and you were saying about the meteor advantage ...?:D

Where 3 has and advantage over the other networks is that they already have a 3G Video network covering the country so where customers can't pick up a 3G signal they will be able to roll back to 2.75G..
    Hang on.. Who's edge network is this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I can jack my nokia into any tv and I get portable sky sports for €1.99 a week and free calls and text to 100 million people all with free unlimited data...

Are you talking about those free calls and texts that you actually have to pay 99c a day for? And what free unlimited data?

• Advertisement

no they don't. Vodafone don't have an edge network and data doesn't work on most of their network anyway. You get an "out of video service area" message that i'm sure you've seen

and the 3g network doesn't cover the country, it covers 85% of the population, which is not to be confused with 85% of the country
    free calls and text to 100 million people
    how's that then? I hope you're not talking about skype and msn, which are not the same thing in any way
    all with free unlimited data...
    who's giving unlimited free data now?
    lol, it's pretty funny how other network heads will pay for something 3 heads already get for free....and you were saying about the meteor advantage ...?:D
    what are network heads getting for free now? And what are meteor paying for?

who's giving unlimited free data now?

Unlimited free data for certain content features for example you can watch as much live TV, play as much live poker, read as much news, preview as much music and use as much skype as you want without using any data...

If you wanted to watch sky sports live on Meteor i'm sure they'd charge you for the data usage....all the other networks charge you the minute you connect to the net....not 3..

I knew there was going to be a backlash.....:D

Don't feed the troll.

Unlimited free data for certain content features for example you can watch as much live TV, play as much live poker, read as much news, preview as much music and use as much skype as you want without using any data...

I knew there was going to be a backlash.....:D

i'm afraid that's more misleading information from yourself drunkmonkey. what you're talking about is the 3 portal, where you pay for each piece of content and they set some content as free (an increasingly small amount). data charges don't apply to this content because it's charged for in other ways.

if the other networks offered a portal like this, they wouldn't charge for data either. all they have currently is a few crappy ring tones. the only things that are comparable to it are vodafone's mobile tv (charged weekly, no data charges) and o2's msn and bebo (both free afaik and definitely no data charges).

when you say "you can watch as much live TV, play as much live poker, read as much news, preview as much music", you can watch the few bits of live tv that 3 provide, read the news that 3 provide, preview the music that 3 provide. to say that "you can use unlimited free data" is blatently misleading because what you really mean is "3 don't charge for data transfer on their portal".

If you wanted to watch sky sports live on Meteor i'm sure they'd charge you for the data usage....all the other networks charge you the minute you connect to the net....not 3..

now you're talking about what they would do if they provided such a service and i can assure you they wouldn't. 3 charge you the minute you connect to the net too. their walled garden is not the net

drunkmonkey, you have said things on this forum that hint that you might work in a 3 store. i honestly hope you don't because you give so much misleading and simply wrong information on this forum i dread to think you're out there filling hundreds of customer's heads with this stuff

i dread to think you're out there filling hundreds of customer's heads with this stuff

Try Thousands:D, but seriously I sell more Meteor than 3, it's just when someone mentions Meteor or 02 and mobile data usage in the same sentance, I can't help but try and show them the future....

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll.

shut up u:P

Try Thousands:D, but seriously I sell more Meteor than 3, it's just when someone mentions Meteor or 02 and mobile data usage in the same sentance, I can't help but try and show them the future....

i'm not joking here drunkmonkey, you need to look some of this stuff up and make sure that what you're saying is right before you jump in and try to convince someone to switch to 3 based on wrong information. i feel like every time you write a post i have to spend ten minutes pointing out everything that's wrong in it. that's fine for the average joe soap but you're supposed to be selling this stuff so you have a responsibility to verify what you're saying before you sign a customer up based on wrong information. what a sales assistant says is legally binding so anyone you've signed up based on wrong information can cancel their contract

i honestly think that if i was working in your store i would have strangled you by now because when i was working in a phone shop i spent an awful lot of my time trying to calm customers down who'd had their head filled with crap by someone else

that's why i'm here Sam, to maybe learn a few things from good guys with plenty of experience like yourself....when ever i'm wrong i'll put my hand up and admit it.....
    I still think the whole data add on / paying for all content thing is a laugable....but that's only my personal opinion and believe it or not people ask for it every day and most are quite happy and return year after year....I find it hard to convert meteor customers and I just can't understand why, voda & 02 customers are so easy to swing in comparison....

that's why i'm here Sam, to maybe learn a few things from good guys with plenty of experience like yourself....when ever i'm wrong i'll put my hand up and admit it.....
    well that's fair enough. but you really should make sure you're right about something before you tell a customer. the way you post, you seem really confident of everything you're saying even though it's wrong.
    I still think the whole data add on / paying for all content thing is a laugable
    what do you mean? three have data add ons and the other networks have content you don't have to pay for. i had the 3 portal for two years and all i ever did was read the news on it, and from the day they allowed proper internet access i never used the portal again. the free content is very limited and the paid content is, well, paid.
    I find it hard to convert meteor customers and I just can't understand why, voda & 02 customers are so easy to swing in comparison....

you find it hard to convert meteor customers because they're different markets. people are on meteor because they're dirt cheap, something which 3 are not, especially on 3pay. there are some people who want snazzy handsets and loads of extras like sky sports but those people aren't on meteor. tell a meteor customer that he can make skype calls and he won't give a crap, but tell him he can text all his friends for free and he's sold

and people on o2 and vodafone generally just wandered into a phone shop years ago and signed up to the first thing they were offered and don't care that much what network they're on. until of course they join 3 and they discover all the little hidden landmines, e.g. not being able to spend more than €160 for the first 3 months and many other silly things

• Advertisement

Planet 3 has got a lot better with a lot more sites and features added, I like having it as a gateway to the mobile net...I've acces to all the networks but 3 remain my first choice for price and content, I'd love to jump to another more established network but there's no real alternative at the moment.....

point taken about the confidence, that's probably all the whiskey running around my veins....:D

p.s
    it's mainly been an 02 morning, haven't tried to swing anyone...., might put on my meteor hat after lunch;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement