Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfy commuter bike with reeally upright ride?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

My current bike, woman's Trek Multitrack 721, is a great yoke and has served me well over the past few years.

But its not perfect.

My main issue with it is it's a bit of a heavy lump and the riding posture is not as upright as I would like. I've adjusted the seat and handlebars as far as they will go to provide as upright a cycle as possible but its not quite upright enough for me (maybe I need a unicycle!)

So my question is, is there anything else I can do to make the cycle more upright? If not, and if I was feeling fahulach, what comfy, lightweight(-ish, I'm going to add on a humungus lock and various bits of luggagae, etc.) commuting bike would you recommend? Budget mainly limited by the fact that whatever bike I have, it can't be too flash to lock on the street when I go into town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ec101

Hey,

I bought a new bike last weekend. Now I bought the FCR 2.5 but I did try out a few bikes. One I did try was the Giant CRS 2.5. The model I tried had the extra large frame (I think) and the one feeling I got from it was that it was nice and big. My riding position was high and comfortable.

Anyway that's my 2 cent.

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Some badass riser handlebars like this would make things more upright:
    frank_modbike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Hee hee! Thanks for that info. I *was* seriously considering some badass hi-rise riser handlebars! Like choppers!

I could probably even lower the current position of my, um, stem (dunno the proper technical term for the vertical bit that holds the handlebar itself) which is currently pretty much vertical.

And that would have another good knock-on effect - my handlebars are adjusted so high that I can't have a decent sized basket on my handlebars (I have a very delapidated wire one at the moment).

Wonder how it would affect steering though?

No doubt about it, it would look pretty damn weird :)

P.S. Where would I get myself a badass hi-rise riser handlebar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

coolaboola wrote: »
    P.S. Where would I get myself a badass hi-rise riser handlebar?

Crazy 4 1/2" risers

Nearly ordered these myself in a late night browse of the crc website the other night. Still trying to visualise them on my hybrid. Might go for a 2" rise though. Just can't picture what a 4 1/2" rise would look like. I'm going into extra comfy mode for my winter commutes. :pac:

reviews of the bar here.......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=15446

It fits a clamp diameter of 25.4mm so just check your clamp before you order anything.

• Advertisement

:) Thanks for the link Clown Bag.

What about *these* .... 10.5" rise!!! .... http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Hi-Rise-Steel-Handlebar-Chrome/dp/B000C14K4E

Advertisement