Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light circuit switch keeps tripping

Options
  • 26-08-2008 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Hi all, the issue has occured on an infrequent basis for the time we have been in the house.

There are five lights running off the circuit two in the hall two in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. This is a new extension to an old house and the extension lights run off a completely separate circuit.

What I have noticed recently is that the circuit trips more frequently and has occurred about 4 times in the last 24 hours. The last time it tripped immediately that I flicked the trip switch.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to resolve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

One of two things. Either the MCB is faulty or there is a wiring fault. As the latter could conceivable cause a fire, get it checked out as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I fully agree with Pete67.
    Get your Electrician back today!
    It needs to be resolved asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Most likely cause of this circuit tripping is your failure to get an electrician to look at it. Either you have a potentialy dangerous fault, a faulty trip switch or an overloaded circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does it matter what lights are on/off when it trips?

Does the lighting circuit go outside? maybe to a PIR light?? Is there any junction boxes where water could get into??

I told this story on here before, but i had a similar situation to yourself a few years back.... lighting circuit triping for no apparent reason, so i reset it... a week later the same thing again, so i was a bit suspicious but still couldn't find anything wrong...

Then about another week went on and it kept constantly tripping after about 5 minutes. When i would reset it i would hear a popping and frying noise in the kitchen. I took the top off a lighting junction box for the outside light and there was a nice juicy slug in it, shorting out the L-N terminals.

The best bit was the fecker was still alive and lived to fight another day.... :eek:

Advertisement