Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema System On The Blink

Options
  • 26-08-2008 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I bought a tv & a dvd cinema system from Currys a few months ago. The TV is absolutely fine, no problems at all, but the DVD player/receiver from the home cinema system is anything but. It started off fine but now it won't play certain dvds (I got Series 1 of Alan Partridge brand new and it kept freezing for instance, but was fine on the other players) it makes a loud whirring noise a lot of the time (louder than my 360, which is bloody loud!) the tray sometimes jams on the way in and it manages to turn itself off from time to time also!
    Anyway, i was on the Currys site and trying to find a number so i could call them about the problem and ask what they can do about it but couldn't find a number (that works!) what are my rights? if i return it can i try and get a replacement product? they may offer to fix the product but as the problems started soon after buying the thing and gradually increased from there i wouldn't feel comfortable with just getting it fixed. What are my rights as far as this is concerned? sorry for the somewhat rambling post but i'm trying to cover all bases here in the one post. :)

Cheers! ML

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi all, I bought a tv & a dvd cinema system from Currys a few months ago. The TV is absolutely fine, no problems at all, but the DVD player/receiver from the home cinema system is anything but. It started off fine but now it won't play certain dvds (I got Series 1 of Alan Partridge brand new and it kept freezing for instance, but was fine on the other players) it makes a loud whirring noise a lot of the time (louder than my 360, which is bloody loud!) the tray sometimes jams on the way in and it manages to turn itself off from time to time also!
    Anyway, i was on the Currys site and trying to find a number so i could call them about the problem and ask what they can do about it but couldn't find a number (that works!) what are my rights? if i return it can i try and get a replacement product? they may offer to fix the product but as the problems started soon after buying the thing and gradually increased from there i wouldn't feel comfortable with just getting it fixed. What are my rights as far as this is concerned? sorry for the somewhat rambling post but i'm trying to cover all bases here in the one post. :)

Cheers! ML

Well ya see that's the problem there. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Oh gee!, thanks, that's really helpful......;)

Oh gee!, thanks, that's really helpful......;)

Aww OK I'll come out with a helpful reply.

You are entitled to a repair/replacement/refund in that order by law. If you have the receipt for the item bring it and the unit back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. Don't speak to one of the normal sales staff. Evrything electronic in ireland has a minimum guarantee of 12 months so this has failed well short of that.

Bring it back and they will either repair or replace it. At this stage you are not entitled to a refund as you have had it for several months.

Bring it back and they will either repair or replace it. At this stage you are not entitled to a refund as you have had it for several months.

Cool, I wouldn't want a refund but could i try and get it replaced? i don't want to have to do without it for whatever time it would take to fix it and as it's never been 100% right since i bought it, I don't think it's too much to ask!

I can't believe you don't like Alan Partridge! :)

Well it depends on the shop and the manager you get. By law they have a right to offer to fix it. Let them do the talking and see what they offer you. If you aren't happy with this then mention that it hasn't always been completely right and that you'd much prefer a replacement as you don't want to be without it. There's no guarantee you'll get what you want but give it a shot.

Ahh I don't mind Alan Partridge, I was attempting to be funny. (I guess I should give that up!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Cool, I wouldn't want a refund but could i try and get it replaced? i don't want to have to do without it for whatever time it would take to fix it and as it's never been 100% right since i bought it, I don't think it's too much to ask!

I can't believe you don't like Alan Partridge! :)

As KH says you are entitled to a repair/replacement/refund but its up to the store which they offer and my guess would be that Curry's will offer a repair

Unfortunately it doesn't matter when the fault started to occur as if you didn't bring it back then they will only act from when it is brought back as this is like saying you accepted it the way it is

With regards the repair it must be permanent and carried out in a reasonable time frame if possible agree a time with the manager and get in writing if possible. If a repair is not possible they should replace the product

Hope this helps

I was on the blower there to Currys and they said I should drop it in for an exchange as they don't do repairs on those or something?! I missed out on the exact term she used but it's looking good anyway!

Cheers for help lads! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Aww OK I'll come out with a helpful reply.

You are entitled to a repair/replacement/refund in that order by law. If you have the receipt for the item bring it and the unit back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. Don't speak to one of the normal sales staff. Evrything electronic in ireland has a minimum guarantee of 12 months so this has failed well short of that.

repair should be permenant and if they can not repair or replace or if the repair process drags on and on you would be within your rights to seek either a replacement or refund!

I took it back for an exchange, they didn't have that particular model anymore so i upgraded to a 1000watt model with better specs across the board for an extra 30 notes! Nice one Currys! :)

Woo Hoo - so it all worked out in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement