Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unaccompanied with Cert of Competency

Options
  • 26-08-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Can you get done by the guards for driving unaccompanied without L plates when you have a copy of your cert and you have just posted away for a full license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

You are considered a fully licensed driver once you have passed the test and have your cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technically you are not licenced (because you don't have the licence yet) but for all intents and purposes, the Gardai won't give you grief for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You are considered a fully licensed driver once you have passed the test and have your cert.
    That is not correct. A person is not considered to be a fully licenced driver until they have a Driving Licence. A Certificate of Competency is not a Driving Licence. It merely proves that the person has passed a driving test and the holder is legally obliged to be accompanied while driving on a public road.

In saying that, I think any Garda will treat a motorist sympathetically if they are unaccompanied but have applied for a Driving Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's covered in the Sticky.
    Q.
    Does the Certificate of competancy entitle you to drive unaccompanied?
    A.

A person driving while they hold a certificate of competency must be accompanied by a qualified driver. When they have this certificate exchanged for a full driving licence they do not need to be accompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

after the test the tester told me to get licence as law doesnt cover the competency cert.

went to garda station to get licence form (rthey didnt have i lol;d)

I asked the guard if i can use a copy of the cert to drive once i applied. he said you would be ok. but you NEED to apply.

I didnt drive alone until i posted in my application and kept a colour copy of my cert and provisional licence in the car in case.

Im not advoating it just saying what i did on the opionion of a member of the garda. i dont doubt a differant gard would ave told me the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes, i believe once you actually apply, and recieve your receipt from your motor tax office you are entitled to drive unaccomp,

Photocopy, Cert and Provisional. - And apply..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

No technical right to drive unaccompanied until your Driving License comes into force.

However there is cause for confusion as prior to the big clampdown recently, you used to be legally entitled to drive unaccompanied, with L Plates and no motorway driving, with a Provisional License plus Certificate of Competency. In simple terms, the Provisional + CoC combination gave you the same rights as the old 2nd Provisional.

But all that is gone now :(

Technically, you can be "done" for driving unaccompanied on anything but a current Driving License, so if you're going to do that, it might be a better idea not to have the L Plates up. That said, you're not likely to have a problem.

Advertisement