Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I will never bank with Bank of Ireland again.

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

in the pub wrote: »
    Stepbar, I have no idea what you are talking about......I see you posted your reply at around half 3 this morning...had a few last night did we? Drunk posts.....so annoying!

As the original poster mentioned to you previously, you need to read the posts properly before you dive in with a sarcastic reply. I mentioned in my post that i tried a few different ATM's and they all denied the prehistoric BOI lasor card.

Try to understand what people are trying to say before you come in with your smart arse replies. You are sounding more and more like a BOI banker everytime you post.

Erm.....he IS a BOI banker??? All the banks in ROI issue Laser cards. The only bank that does a VISA debit card is Halifax, and I wouldn't bank with them if you paid me. Yes, I don't deny that the Cirrus/Maestro system could do with updating and improving, but this isn't a problem exclusive to BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

What's wrong with Halifax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Stepbar, I have no idea what you are talking about......I see you posted your reply at around half 3 this morning...had a few last night did we? Drunk posts.....so annoying!

Glad to see you got an infraction for that. Silly silly boy :rolleyes:
    As the original poster mentioned to you previously, you need to read the posts properly before you dive in with a sarcastic reply. I mentioned in my post that i tried a few different ATM's and they all denied the prehistoric BOI lasor card.

Try to understand what people are trying to say before you come in with your smart arse replies. You are sounding more and more like a BOI banker everytime you post.

Kettle Pot Black.

If you had bothered to check this one out, you would have found out that the BOI provide banking facilities through the Post Office in the UK meaning that you can withdraw money in any Post Office in the UK. Why I should bother explaining this is beyond me TBH.

Seems you have a bit of an attidute problem with banks in general and as such my reply was aimed as such......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

JJ wrote: »
    What's wrong with Halifax?

How long have you got?

As long as your post isn't longer than Kila's OP that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I also am looking to change from BOI. Not because of customer service, just because of inferior products and internet banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

JJ wrote: »
    As long as your post isn't longer than Kila's OP that's fine.

Meow!

I was just trying to be comprehensive. I'm not exactly a newbie to online boards and how they usually operate, and I know full well that if you leave out details, they tend to be the exact details that someone will jump on and then use to label your entire post incredulous.

I figure that, by including all the details, I can tell the story as completely as I can, and then leave it up to anyone who reads it as to what they make of the whole situation. And, in theory, by making sure what I've said is complete and accurate, I not only avoid an onslaught of posts telling me how and why I'm incorrect, how what I've said is untrue, etc, but also sidestep any messy libel issues.

Make sense?

I'm just kidding. It's all good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As someone who applied at my local BOI branch just last friday for an ATM card that works abroad, I'd really like to know what sort of card I've applied for...I understood it was a cirrus one. Nothing was explained on the mandate form that I signed and I don't really want a debit card for various reasons. So am I to believe that I'll now receive a Laser card? If so is this the only way I can draw on my account from the continent?

Oh and just a quick question for the OP: you say you were stuck abroad with little or no money, but in a follow up post you mention that you have at least one credit card...why couldn't you use the CC? (I'm not saying this to take away from BOI's ineptitude, just curious)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

ntlbell wrote: »
    humans are flawed

humans work in every bank

every bank has these flaws

the end.

Right, now let's talk about your post.

Overly-simplistic.

Ignorant.

Very unhelpful.

The End.

With regards Kila's situation, this particular Bank of Ireland story exudes an extreme lack of professionalism on their part. It's pretty off-putting and damages the image of Bank of Ireland I had in my mind anyway. When things go wrong, as the do now and again, excellent customer care can save you from a really ****ty situation. The poor and below-average Bank of Ireland staff who Kila was unfortunate enough to have to encounter have a lot to answer for and are responsible for lowering the company's image, and clearly have a serious lack of customer service skills. Maybe BOI should rethink its employment process!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Wertz wrote: »
    As someone who applied at my local BOI branch just last friday for an ATM card that works abroad, I'd really like to know what sort of card I've applied for...I understood it was a cirrus one. Nothing was explained on the mandate form that I signed and I don't really want a debit card for various reasons. So am I to believe that I'll now receive a Laser card? If so is this the only way I can draw on my account from the continent?

Oh and just a quick question for the OP: you say you were stuck abroad with little or no money, but in a follow up post you mention that you have at least one credit card...why couldn't you use the CC? (I'm not saying this to take away from BOI's ineptitude, just curious)...

You may still get a plain cirrus card, it depends on the branch. They're supposed to be phasing them out, but some branches are still ordering them. If you do receive a laser card, you can either use it or your credit card to withdraw money abroad. Just be aware that if you're using your credit card in an atm and it's not in credit, you'll be charged a cash advance fee. Best bet is give your branch a quick ring on monday morning and see what type of card was ordered for you.

Aye I know about the whole advance fee thing, got caught out before on that which is why I want an ATM card that works in other countries...I'd just prefer it wasn't a debit card. Call my branch tomorrow and see...

Wertz wrote: »

That's a good and valid question. My credit card expired while I was away, and a new one was sent to my house (which, obviously, I wasn't in a position to pick up until I arrived home). I didn't bring my card with me because I knew it was due to expire very shortly after I arrived, and I didn't want to have any problems with regard to payments going through after the card had expired (i.e. I charge something to the card, it takes 5 days to go through, but the card has expired, so it bounces, and I wind up in a difficult situation - and unable to provide a new card, since it was in Ireland!)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Kila wrote: »
    That's a good and valid question. My credit card expired while I was away,

It's after the fact now but you can get your card renewed earlier if it's going to expire whilst away.

That's a good and valid question. My credit card expired while I was away, and a new one was sent to my house (which, obviously, I wasn't in a position to pick up until I arrived home). I didn't bring my card with me because I knew it was due to expire very shortly after I arrived, and I didn't want to have any problems with regard to payments going through after the card had expired (i.e. I charge something to the card, it takes 5 days to go through, but the card has expired, so it bounces, and I wind up in a difficult situation - and unable to provide a new card, since it was in Ireland!)

Never rains but it pours, eh?
    Hate being stuck with no or very little money to do me the last few days of being away...no matter how much cash you bring it's never enough, my cards were maxxed last time and my ATM card (which I stupidly assumed would work in the EU) was useless. Not making that mistake this time around...

Oh yeah and turns out they are doing a cirrus card for me, or so I was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 claude08

Hello,
    I'm a researcher with RTE and would like to speak with you about your customer service experience. Would it be possible to contact you directly? I can forward you an email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

claude08 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm a researcher with RTE and would like to speak with you about your customer service experience. Would it be possible to contact you directly? I can forward you an email address.

Looking to cause more panic on Liveline, are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

I have never heard a positive story from a BOI customer. Ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

aoraki wrote: »
    Again Kila, all I can say is that it looks like a whole series of small mistakes/oversights was made on behalf of the bank which compounded to leave you being very cheesed off. The bank don't purposely set out to piss people off, but unfortunately these things do happen sometime. Like I said previously, I'd say the problem was complicated by the fact that you were primarily dealing with a branch that is not your account holding branch, as well as going through another channel, 365Phone. Sounds like there was multiple breakdowns in communication. To be honest, if I were you, I'd be directing my complaint at your account holding branch (Walkinstown, right?) and let them chase it up. Ballyfermot appear to have been caught in the crossfire here a bit.

At the end of the day (to quote Royston Keane), all the bank can do in this case is to apologise for their mistake and make a gesture with regard to the expense incurred by you because of it. Sounds like they have done some of that already, so I'm not sure what else you're expecting at the end of all this. If you're not happy after all that, then close your account and take your business somewhere else - it's as simple as that. Life is too short to be getting bogged down with piffles like this. As far as big-issues-which-should-be-brought-to-the-attention-of-the-public are concerned, I really don't think this is one IMHO.
    Should be Looking for full refund of costs incured by you, Keep all receipts etc, Take complaint further if not satisfied to bank ombudsman, I have Lost over 2k friday last,from sharetrading which i could not exicute because the wrong acount was opened on recomendation by bank only to not be able to electronicaly transfer funds to my share trading a/c when i needed too, bank simply appologised, wonder if a appology would surfice if i owed them 2k?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This is typical of Bank of Ireland.

I used to bank with them. Had my wages paid into the account. Had one loan taken out with them (which I paid off early). Was constantly bombarded with offers for credit cards.

One day, I try to get one of the Laser cards that they offer. I got refused with no explanation whatsoever.

I promptly took my business to AIB where they were happy to provide a Laser card on creation of my account.

• Advertisement

Looking to cause more panic on Liveline, are we?

I'm quoting this as a general example of the anti-complaint sentiment that seems to be held by some people here.

I'm not condoning calling LiveLine every time something causes a wrinkle in the great scheme of things, but I really feel that I should stick up for a right to complain here.

No one should have to put up with inadequate service. If any company isn't providing a service that they have said they will, then you are perfectly within your rights to complain. And if your complaint isn't dealt with satisfactorily, then you should complain higher up (e.g. a parent branch or external regulatory body).

I firmly believe that part of the reason companies get away with providing poor service is because people don't complain. They might have a bit of a moan to friends and family, and may, at a stretch, post on a boards somewhere about it, but a lot of people won't actually bother to write a letter to the company registering a complaint. If you never complain to a company, then you will never see an improvement in service - after all, why should they change something when they have no indication that it's not working?

I accept that people who work for a company at the centre of a complaint may feel loyal to the company, and may take a complaint personally. I'm sure that I would feel a little sad to see the company I work for torn apart. But this shouldn't mean that anyone feels like they can't complain, simply to avoid upsetting people. If something has genuinely failed to meet expectations, then you should be allowed to say so, without fear of reprimand.

Speaking specifically about this thread, there have been people who have had a negative view towards it throughout, and have ignored any further explanations I gave, seemingly because they didn't fit in with their general view. Again, I'll reiterate that my complaint is hardly a personal insult towards any BOI employees, but rather a complaint at the poor service provided by a specific set of employees at a specific branch.

I have been honest throughout the thread, have answered every question put to me, and have tried to make any information that anyone wanted available (save for the names of the employees in the branch, as I feel that would be unfair). I feel strongly enough about the whole situation that I feel like I can stand my ground firmly when I say that the service provided was woefully inadequate. And yet, I have been decried as some sort of pariah by some people, simply because I dared to speak ill of an institution.

I would encourage people with a problem about any company to make sure that you complain. If you never tell the company that there is something wrong, then it won't be fixed. I would also encourage people to tell others about their complaint, and to not worry about being ridiculed simply because you have complained. And finally, I would encourage people to pursue a complaint you have made, and make sure that you get a response (and a resolution that you are happy with).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Good luck with finding a bank(or any business for that matter) that doesn't **** things up on occasion

Once again, I'll say that I don't expect that every business will function 100% perfectly, 100% of the time.

I do believe that customer service in the aftermath of a mistake is important, though, and that that should be quick and effective.

I also don't believe that one shouldn't complain about poor service simply because poor service exists everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I have to agree with you Kila. You have been more than reasonable in your complaints and observations. While the first mistake was bad enough what made it worse was mistake after mistake piled on top.

I worked for B of I (actually in one of the branches you name) many moons ago and there would have been skin and hair flying if we had screwed up that badly. In the old days-20 odd years ago-there was an emphasis on customer service. Now all the banks can think about is targets and sales figures and to hell with the service. It comes from the top down and is one of the reasons I left B of I to work in another industry. I couldn't stand the way banking was going.

You are dead right to complain and keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I'm quoting this as a general example of the anti-complaint sentiment that seems to be held by some people here.

Fine.

However, it is not my point. There is a difference between making a complaint about a service and causing nationwide hysteria without allowing the side being complained about to air their side.

I'm not condoning calling LiveLine every time something causes a wrinkle in the great scheme of things, but I really feel that I should stick up for a right to complain here.
    Agreed.
    No one should have to put up with inadequate service. If any company isn't providing a service that they have said they will, then you are perfectly within your rights to complain. And if your complaint isn't dealt with satisfactorily, then you should complain higher up (e.g. a parent branch or external regulatory body).
    Also agreed.

I firmly believe that part of the reason companies get away with providing poor service is because people don't complain. They might have a bit of a moan to friends and family, and may, at a stretch, post on a boards somewhere about it, but a lot of people won't actually bother to write a letter to the company registering a complaint. If you never complain to a company, then you will never see an improvement in service - after all, why should they change something when they have no indication that it's not working?
    Once again, I agree.
    I accept that people who work for a company at the centre of a complaint may feel loyal to the company, and may take a complaint personally. I'm sure that I would feel a little sad to see the company I work for torn apart. But this shouldn't mean that anyone feels like they can't complain, simply to avoid upsetting people. If something has genuinely failed to meet expectations, then you should be allowed to say so, without fear of reprimand.
    This is the main reason why people in Ireland don't complain. You are not impugning the person you give the complaint to, it is the institution. It is a big distinction that many people fail to make.

Speaking specifically about this thread, there have been people who have had a negative view towards it throughout, and have ignored any further explanations I gave, seemingly because they didn't fit in with their general view. Again, I'll reiterate that my complaint is hardly a personal insult towards any BOI employees, but rather a complaint at the poor service provided by a specific set of employees at a specific branch.
    I think you took my post, directed towards another poster, as an attack on you.

That is not the case.
    I have been honest throughout the thread, have answered every question put to me, and have tried to make any information that anyone wanted available (save for the names of the employees in the branch, as I feel that would be unfair). I feel strongly enough about the whole situation that I feel like I can stand my ground firmly when I say that the service provided was woefully inadequate. And yet, I have been decried as some sort of pariah by some people, simply because I dared to speak ill of an institution.

I would encourage people with a problem about any company to make sure that you complain. If you never tell the company that there is something wrong, then it won't be fixed. I would also encourage people to tell others about their complaint, and to not worry about being ridiculed simply because you have complained. And finally, I would encourage people to pursue a complaint you have made, and make sure that you get a response (and a resolution that you are happy with).

Irish people don't complain enough; I see it every day in the course of life and work.

It has much to do with historically weak consumer agencies, ombudsman services and the like. Thankfully that is changing.

Advertisement