Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane where to live?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hey all, I'm planning on travelling to oz last wk of Sept and living in Brisbane.. In what area's should we be looking for accommodation? also Is there many jobs in administation or are we better off staying in Sydney as we're flying into there. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Plenty of work hre if you have skills.

I would recommnend coming straight to Brizzy if it was winetr as it is heaven here in winter. Sidders will be good in Sept.

If work is the pimary goal best go to Sydney and then travel to Brizzy as the Summer fades.

Brizzy is an awsome city to live in pop 1mil odd but feels and is as easy to get around as a small town. Its cheap, safe and has an amzing outdoor life.

I spent some time in Sidders and have no regrets about basing here. In fact we are not going home its so good here and Im part of a large group of exiles all making the same decisions.....

Sydney is prob better if its clubing and pubbing you are after and Melbourne better again but just for sheer day to day stress free comfortable living Brizzy is the place.
    Feel free to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 smiles22

c the plan is to hopefully built sum money up between Sept-Xmas den do some travelling.. so basically ur saying to stay in Sydney for work? I'd be looking for admin work r prob waitressing... Lik the idea that bris is little more laid bk n less expensive also... wat part of the city are most of irish located??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You shouldn't go to a particular part of the city where most of the Irish are, otherwise it takes away from the whole experience.

I think the spring hill/Bowen hills area of Brisbane is a good spot. It's within walking distance of town, and it's all very pleasant.

Problem with brisie is that it can be a bit quiet. I was on hols in Sydney a few weeks ago, and I regretted not having gone there in the 1st place. But that's just me. I love big cities like Londona nd New York.

Yeah for me I ove Brizzy cos its NOT a big city in the usual way. Truly is laid back. If you hav no specific trade or profession behind you I would recommend getting to Sydney to work and come here as the days cool there.

Prob with Sydney is you may find it tough to actualy save anyhting, you could get stuck there and drink every night in Bondi woth the Irish and miss the best parts of Oz if you are not careful, so many do this.....

There is not an area in Brizzy where the Irish hang out, plenty of Irish bars where you will find a good mix of nationalities but no area a la Bondi or St Kilda where more irish live. Perhapos in the Valley area, purely as it is city centre and near the night life.

Itll depends what you want out of your trip where you go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

mate of mine from home lives in Toowong (is that right?) . It seemed like a very nice place when I was there, up near the university. Brisbane was a nice city, but I found the heat hard to take (compared to Perth for example). It seemed really clean too.
    Drought still on there?

• Advertisement

Yeah I live near Toowong. Would remind you of some of the leafy suburbs around UCD where students live amongst millionaires.

Nice place out of the city but still very close, yeah dead clean and the only noise is of students on way home from parties etc evryso often.

Yeah the heat gest up to mid 30s for weeks n end in Summer and it can be humid. Im looking forward to it though love summer.

Winter however is paradise, never rains ( yes still close to drought conditions, but restrictions relaxed as of 2 months ago ) mid 20s and sunny by day and cool enough at nioght to wrap up n duvet !

Perth gets the dry heat Id say and as it is closer to the ocean would get more benefit from ocean breezes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

i dont want to hijack the OP thread, so I'll butt out now, only to say that, yes, Brisbane is a lovely city (it was on a BBC show yesterday "wanted down under", the blue skies almost seemed to good to be true..).
    And you have Powderfinger...

Advertisement