Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analytical Hypnotherapy

• 26-08-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Has anyone here ever attended analytical hypnotherapy sesssions?
    I just got started with a course but am already having stubborn resistance to it all. I decided to do it as I feel quite blocked emotionally and creatively at times, a bit stuck where I'm at, and I know I have issues related to past anger and trauma. In general though I am a very "just get on with it" type of person and finding it hard to lie on a hypnotherapist' couch and let go, I am not a very trusting person and find it hard to just lie on a stranger's couch and supposedly unveil my deepest feelings. I was given a CD to help aid with feelings of depression too and listened last night and felt like turning it off, all the "pretend you're enveloped by a fluffy cloud" stuff was just p*ssing me off and not relaxing me at all, I almost felt under pressure to relax and couldn't do it.

Maybe I'm too angry or something I don't know. I really want the changes to happen or obviously I wouldn't have gone. I know hypnotherapy aims at working with the subconscious mind and maybe I am far too rational and right side of the brain type of person.

I just wondered if anyone else had done the ten or so sessions they say are necessary to eliminate the negative things you're holding onto from the past and found it useful before I spend 800 EU on more of just relaxation therapy, which I could just do myself at home with a CD.
    The therapist will begin analytical sessions soon I only had an inital relaxing session to experience hypnosis, but to me it just felt like meditation or relaxation classes. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know a lot about it and I'm a tad skeptical so can anyone shed some light on it for me?

Thanks if you can . B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Hi Mods...don't know if you would have any ideas of another forum to move this query to, as I'm not having any luck in this section and I see another person querying on hypnotherapy didn't either so maybe it's posted in the wrong section? I'm not having a lot of luck finding anyone who can give testimonial to it in Ireland who isn't a therapist trying to sell their services.

Thanks if you can help, B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I've never been to a hypnotherapy session before but I have done some research on hypnosis to satisfy my own curiosity. Basically it works by the same principles as the placebo effect. The hypnotist tells you that your eyes are getting heavy, for example, and you will eventually find after some suggestion and persuasion that you will close your eyes. Then he may tell you that you are in a trance and if, for example, you have a fear of heights, he might get you to imagine standing at the edge of a big cliff and feeling no fear at all, before stating that from now on you will have no fear of heights. Because you believe that he has hynpotised the fear out of you it produces the effect that he has. I don't know what exactly analytical hypnotherapy entails but I presume it is based around the same principle which is basically a placebo.

You say you are suffering from a emotional/creative block? Hypnosis could help you in that area in the way that I have described, but paying 800 euro for what is in essence a mental sugar pill seems like a bit of a rip off. I'd say that if you want to talk to someone you should go see a qualified councellor, but otherwise maybe you just need a break out of your normal routine. Go on a holiday, experience the new things, get away from the old familiar faces and places for a while, if it's at all possible. In my experience these kind of blocks happen when life gets monotonous and boring, it's hard to be creative when it's nothing but the "same sh*t, different day" all the time.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling a bit!

Hope it helps!

Hey Standman

Thanks for that, but I've been at a session already so I kind of know what it entails, (although every therapist is different) Analytical is different from what you've described there, you have described "suggestive" hypnotherapy which focuses on a specific problem and aims at suggesting into your subconscious your desired results (not smoking, losing weight, phobias, etc.) and take from 1 -3 sessions. Analytical is less targeted at a specific and does regress you to former traumas etc. it aims at removing the original source or roots of the blockage /damage /negativity and takes aparrently longer obviously as it is more investigating where all the sh*t came from. I get the general aim of it I just wanted to see if anyone had successfully used the treatment before doing it and could recommend it.

There's lots of people who've tried the no smoking, worked for some, some it didn't. I know it'd be the same with analytical and all therapy does't have measured results and what works for me won't necessarily work for Joe Bloggs but it'd be nice to know a bit more before paying so much out. Information as far as I can see is scant which leads me to believe that it's not used a lot by people.

Thanks for the advice. I've travelled the world and do enjoy life for most part but had a recent family trauma. I've had counseling but I'm constantly open to improvement and was investigating this end of the spectrum as would be interesting to know from anyone who'd been there done that if they found their treatment effective. I wasn't too keen on the "go to your happy place" kind of session though, I end up laughing at it in my head, probably huge amounts of good old Irish cynicism and resistance but anyway, try everything is my motto!

Cheers, B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

Hi heres an odd question , im just wondering could hypnosis help me with my poker?
    i have read thats it can help for poker. about 2 to 3 days ago i was winning
    tournements nearly evrytime i played or 2nd i was in the money 2 out of 3 times, i was so focused. i could tell when people had pocket aces or flushes
    and i could bluff with sheer precision . i look back on them tournements and i cant see how i played the way i did. i just had amazing focus. i made over $100 in 2 days . now i can barely come 2nd if im lucky.i just want to have the same focus and instinct i had. now iat best i make an educated guess and it all does wrong. Would be possible for hypnotherapy to help regain the same instincts and focus i had a few days ago? i know people must be thinking that i had afew lucky days and im just a bad player who luck has run out but i honestly won very consistantly in over 20 tournements over a few days and most of the time it was that i had monstor hands , most of time i was bluffing with nothing.so any way i can regain the focus??
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭sachamama

Hello OP
    You say you are open to trying anything, why not steer away completely from "traditional methods" and go the energetic route. Whatever is blocking you is energetic in its manifestation in your body, whether its an old trauma or a pattern of behaviour, or an affinity for things that do not have a good effect on you.

once you have the blockage cleared, creativity will be able to flow through you. Using thoughts to do this (hypnoses, counselling, etc) takes much longer than working directly with the energy body itself, which can be cleared almost immediately or over several sessions, depending on how deeply ingrained it is in you.

so I'd suggest you go to an energetic healer, particularly someone in the field of shamanism, who will be able to remove whatever physical energy block is preventing you from moving on with your life without you having to do anything other than relax while they work.

PM me if you are interested and I will give you more information or some practitioners details that might be able to help you out.

Sachamama

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Hi Babooshka.

I hope I am not too late in replying to your query!

I have been undertaking analytical therapy for a few months now and despite the cost it is priceless compared to the results I have got from it.

I have suffered from depression for about 14 years. I have been to all different types of private practitioners, I have been through the public mental health system and been a day patient, been unable to work for periods of time and tried every therapy out there but this worked for me within weeks.

I too found it hard to relax into it and sometimes i thought I was going to jump out of the chair to catch my breath again but my therapist eventually managed to guide me through it and control my anxieties blocking my mind from opening up. I can pm you who I go to if you like, or do feel free to pm me with any questions.

It has truly been the most freeing experience of my life, however, everyone is different and one person's cure in this field is one persons torment.

Would be happy to help though and hope you are doing ok :)

Nikki

P.S. - My therapist didnt do any of the fluffy cloud crap. I was very up front with my stubborn mentality and lack of faith, this was repaid with a very up front and honest treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

sachamama wrote: »
    Whatever is blocking you is energetic in its manifestation in your body, whether its an old trauma or a pattern of behaviour, or an affinity for things that do not have a good effect on you.

once you have the blockage cleared, creativity will be able to flow through you. Using thoughts to do this (hypnoses, counselling, etc) takes much longer than working directly with the energy body itself, which can be cleared almost immediately or over several sessions, depending on how deeply ingrained it is in you.

so I'd suggest you go to an energetic healer, particularly someone in the field of shamanism, who will be able to remove whatever physical energy block is preventing you from moving on with your life without you having to do anything other than relax while they work.

Evidence? Research? Please....this is Psychology not Codology.

I don't mean to be offensive but this is surely more suited to an "alternative health" forum, than to Psychology.

Only looked at this again today after so long thanks for replies.
    Yes sachamama, as JC said, I'd have to know more about these energy healers, an aerobics instructor could call themself that if they wanted to...no offence!

Beatnik thanks for your honesty. Glad to hear it's working for you. Yes if you can PM me the details that would be great. Thanks for your well wishes, and I wish you the same and more.

B

EDIT: Julius Caesar if you're asking should this entire thread be more suited to alternative health forum, I already posted (see #2) for it to be moved by mods if it had to be moved...Is there an alternative health forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Babooshka wrote: »
    Hi Mods...don't know if you would have any ideas of another forum to move this query to, as I'm not having any luck in this section and I see another person querying on hypnotherapy didn't either so maybe it's posted in the wrong section? I'm not having a lot of luck finding anyone who can give testimonial to it in Ireland who isn't a therapist trying to sell their services.

Thanks if you can help, B
    I can't think of any I'm afraid.

Don't worry about it. I found some advice from here anyway. Ceers. B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

EDIT: Julius Caesar if you're asking should this entire thread be more suited to alternative health forum, I already posted (see #2) for it to be moved by mods if it had to be moved...Is there an alternative health forum?

Hi, no I meant just that post. I thought there would be an alternative health forum, but amazingly there isn't

.....shamanism.......

maybe off to the Paranormal forum, so? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 alanjfinn

Psychology, scientific? if you call issueing loads of questionnaires to people,putting the results into SPSS so that you can infer your results to the general population and then saying that everyone will do this or react in a certain way or feel in a certain way etc. science or similarly putting a people into a lab and testing them science, then I am afraid you will not make a very good Psychologist.
    The essential cause of how a person will behave in a given situation lies within that person, who is a complex system,although the person will be influenced by past experiences etc. once they reach a crisis no one can say with certainty how they will react.Psychology likes to think it is scientific which was designed to move it away from "codology" like psychoanalysis,it may be slightly more scientific than psychoanalysis but it has a very very very very very long way to go.I am a Psychologist and get publications from all over the world,i pay a lot of money to the Association for Psychologicai Science in the U.S. and get about 36 issues a year each containing about 11/12 articles,and thats just one organisation i subscribe to. Shamanism worked for millions of people once, i am not going to dismiss it completly,Always keep an open mind.
    To anyone who may reply to this post please remember that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

alanjfinn wrote: »
    To anyone who may reply to this post please remember that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Alan I appreciate all replies to my thread but I don't get the overall answer you gave to be very honest. Do you advocate analytical hypnotherapy as a viable option or not? Do you have any examples of successful cases of it which you've come accross?

Beatnik thanks for your PM's I'll discuss further with you when you get mine. I am still looking into this as much as I can before deciding to proceed but I have had some good feedback on it that is encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 alanjfinn

Alan I appreciate all replies to my thread but I don't get the overall answer you gave to be very honest. Do you advocate analytical hypnotherapy as a viable option or not? Do you have any examples of successful cases of it which you've come accross?

Beatnik thanks for your PM's I'll discuss further with you when you get mine. I am still looking into this as much as I can before deciding to proceed but I have had some good feedback on it that is encouraging.

My apologies,I think that most forms of Psychotherapy are very good indeed,I am a little sceptical about Hypnotherapy,but I do know of some people who like it.I have never met anyone who has undergone it,if the particular therapist is putting some time into enabling you to relax then this will be very benificial,relaxation and certain types of meditation work wonders,you could of course learn how to do both of these for a much lesser amount,there are a number of places in the country that teach both meditation and relaxation and just ask for a donation.Try to keep an open mind,the fact that you went to someone is excellent and it may /probably will take ten sessions to get you to relax,I realise it can be difficult to trust a stranger,check their credentials,if they are very qualified it is of course a big help,but also be aware that a persons qualifications are no proof that they can deal with people with empathy.I know of some very qualified people who are great academically but terrible with people,you need to build a relationship with your therapist,this can take a number, 2/3/4 weeks,if you are not comfortable change,I would not be paying 800e up front to anyone if that is what you are going to do,You WILL have to relax and learn to trust and most importantly TALK,TALK, and then even more TALK. You are embarking on a journey and if you persist with it it will bring great rewards,trust your intuition,do not be afraid of it, it is mostly right.The very best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Babooshka I advise going a different route for your issue. You sound like you would benefit from real psychotherapy not analytical hypnotherapy. And if your hypnotherapist tells you that they are a psychotherapist too because they have a diploma from ICHP then you can them that the qualification is a joke as a psychotherapy qualification.

€800 with a good counselor will do you a whole lot more good than with someone doing analytical hypnotherapy. If you want to explore issues in a psychoanalytic framework then find a psychodynamic therapist or psychoanalyst.

Really it's a question of professional competence. Unless your hypnotherapist is also a mental health professional in a cognate area then they have little business dealing with profound difficulties. A diploma from a hypnotherapy association quite simply isn't sufficient.

Thanks Hotspur, one of the people I'm looking at now has a degree in counselling and psychotherapy as well as a diploma in hypnotherapy and a good few years experience in counselling. Their methods combine therapies also, so it might be a better route. I'll keep searching until I'm comfortable enough to go ahead with it. Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement