Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Banning From After Hours

Options
  • 26-08-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Right I've been banned from After Hours by Terry for the goings on in this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364183

As far as I can see it's an unfair banning. God Save The Queen was posted up as a joke whereas the song he posted up was serious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You were banned for personal abuse. Simple as that.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57035957&postcount=30

There will be no action taken for the posting of IRA lyrics, nor will there be any action taken for the posting of the lyrics of god save the queen.

Both are incendiary in their own right.

The thread has been closed anyway because sports threads go in the sports forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

As intelligent as a squirrell?? Are you serious?? How does that warrant a ban. The things he said were worse.What if a British person was reading that would that count as personal abuse?

If that's the case I'll get my Dad to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Personal Abuse = Direct attack on another poster.

There's no argument here. It's a week. Get over it.

That is ridiculous. So then when I get back onto After Hours would it be ok for me to post racist chants? Or is it only ok to post the songs of a group who murdered many innocent people?

Nope, because that's against the charter.

Last I checked, "West Brit" isn't a race.

• Advertisement

Oh but it's still ok to support that group??

So I can't go and post a racist chant but I can post a chant that says that the British should go home??

In the context of the thread, those lyrics were fine.

Had it been a thread started deliberately inflame British (or any other) people, then that other guy would have been banned and for a lot longer than a week.

Some people are of the view that the continued British occupation of part of this country is wrong and that the British should leave that part of the island.
    Others are of the view that the whole mess should not be spoken about.

Both parties are entitled to their own viewpoints and this site was not set up to change those views. It wasn't set up for people to spout those views either, but shít happens.

I won't be lifting your ban and I won't be banning anyone else for what was posted in that thread.

And I'm done.

See y'all in a couple of days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

hunter164 wrote: »
    So I can't go and post a racist chant but I can post a chant that says that the British should go home??

That sounds about right.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That sounds about right.
    Ye I thought it did. If all you can add to this discussion is sarcasm, I'd prefer if you left.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    In the context of the thread, those lyrics were fine.

Had it been a thread started deliberately inflame British (or any other) people, then that other guy would have been banned and for a lot longer than a week.

Some people are of the view that the continued British occupation of part of this country is wrong and that the British should leave that part of the island.
    Others are of the view that the whole mess should not be spoken about.

Both parties are entitled to their own viewpoints and this site was not set up to change those views. It wasn't set up for people to spout those views either, but shít happens.

I won't be lifting your ban and I won't be banning anyone else for what was posted in that thread.

And I'm done.

See y'all in a couple of days.
    I don't find those lyrics fit into any discussion whatsoever.

I believe people can live wherever they want in this world and if the British still want to occupy up North that's fine.

Also my viewpoint was that he has the intelligence of a squirrell and I find that a lot less abusive than what he said.

I still can't get over the fact that a person can post an IRA song and gets away with it but I say he has the intelligence of a squirrell and I'm banned.

I think this charter needs some serious looking at if that's the case.

Also my Father is English so I take these things very seriously as he has been told to go home before,so when things like this are posted it disgusts me.

In an ideal world, the British occupation of the six counties wouldn't be a problem to anyone.
    However, this is not an ideal world and some people do not agree with this.
    Some have chosen to put this into song and some people like these songs.

My own father was shot at by the IRA and two of the soldiers under his command were seriously injured. This was when he was on border patrol with the Irish army in the late 60's.
    He had no time for the IRA (or SinnFein or Gerry Adams in particular), but I'm not going to throw a wobbly every time someone sings a rebel song.

I don't really want to turn this into a 'My daddy is better than your daddy' type thing, so I'll suggest you take up the posting of lyrics to rebel songs in feedback.

This is about as reasonable as I get, so I will not be responding to this thread again unless something important is said.

I still can't get over the fact that a person can post an IRA song and gets away with it but I say he has the intelligence of a squirrell and I'm banned.
    Unless you can give a good reason why posting the lyrics of a Wolftones song should be banned, then you've got no ground to stand on here.

The lyrics as I see them aren't racist. They're asking British soldiers to leave. The political turmoil surrounding the writing of the song is irrelevant. For some people, it's a reality.

If someone posted a Tibetan song which asked the Chinese government to **** off and leave them alone, would you ask that we remove it because it's racist against Chinese people?

seamus wrote: »
    Unless you can give a good reason why posting the lyrics of a Wolftones song should be banned, then you've got no ground to stand on here.

The lyrics as I see them aren't racist. They're asking British soldiers to leave. The political turmoil surrounding the writing of the song is irrelevant. For some people, it's a reality.

If someone posted a Tibetan song which asked the Chinese government to **** off and leave them alone, would you ask that we remove it because it's racist against Chinese people?
    Asking?!?! I believe it said " Go home you British soldiers, ahve you no ****ing home?" Since when is that asking Seamus?

Also West Brits is a derogatory (sp?) word and yes he didn't aim it anyone in particular but he did say it to the group who did not like what he said.

So in other words it would be ok for me to put up a Unionist song? Is that what's being said here??

In an ideal world, the British occupation of the six counties wouldn't be a problem to anyone.
    However, this is not an ideal world and some people do not agree with this.
    Some have chosen to put this into song and some people like these songs.

My own father was shot at by the IRA and two of the soldiers under his command were seriously injured. This was when he was on border patrol with the Irish army in the late 60's.
    He had no time for the IRA (or SinnFein or Gerry Adams in particular), but I'm not going to throw a wobbly every time someone sings a rebel song.

I don't really want to turn this into a 'My daddy is better than your daddy' type thing, so I'll suggest you take up the posting of lyrics to rebel songs in feedback.

This is about as reasonable as I get, so I will not be responding to this thread again unless something important is said.
    And if I did bring this to Feedback Terry would I have your backing? Or would you sit on the fence?

Asking?!?! I believe it said " Go home you British soldiers, ahve you no ****ing home?" Since when is that asking Seamus?
    Whether it's asking or not is irrelevant.
    Also West Brits is a derogatory (sp?) word and yes he didn't aim it anyone in particular but he did say it to the group who did not like what he said.
    "West Brit" is a slag that culchies use for Dublin people. Like "Jackeen" or "Dublin knacker". If you're offended by "West Brit", I suggest you switch off your computer and stop interacting with the rest of the world.
    So in other words it would be ok for me to put up a Unionist song? Is that what's being said here??
    Yep, work away. Better be on topic though.

"West Brit" is a slag that culchies use for Dublin people. Like "Jackeen" or "Dublin knacker". If you're offended by "West Brit", I suggest you switch off your computer and stop interacting with the rest of the world.
    Why don't you tell me people that when all I said was you have the intelligence of a squirrell? Because that is cleary less offensive than that term.

Why don't you tell me people that when all I said was you have the intelligence of a squirrell?
    Can you rephrase that? It makes no sense.
    Offending a large amount of people - OK. Attacking a single person - not OK.

Ye it seems to be ok to slag people when you're pro nationalist but once you slag them you're daffy ducked.

Can you rephrase that? It makes no sense.
    Offending a large amount of people - OK. Attacking a single person - not OK.
    If you say tough to me when I find a term offensive why don't you say it to them when all I say is they have the intelligence of a squirrell?

• Advertisement

You're not getting this. If you can't see the difference between the general and the specific, we could go around in circles. And no, there's no political agenda here. I think nationalists and unionists are all idiots.

So if I said you're all a bunch of ****. Would I be banned for that? Because that's generalisation.

You can say it if you like, but you'll find that we're much less receptive to any complaints you make in future, and we're likely to tell you where to go.

And if I did bring this to Feedback Terry would I have your backing? Or would you sit on the fence?
    No fence sitting.
    I'd be in favour of the posting of nationalist lyrics because it's part of our culture.
    That's not to say I'm a rabid republican though. I generally couldn't give a flying fúck what happens in Northern Ireland.

Like Seamus said though, it's fine as long as it's on topic. Shouldn't be done in an inflamatory manner either.

If someone did post lyrics in an inflamatory manner, then I would ban them.

Before you ask, no I didn't think they were posted in an inflamatory manner in that thread. It was a valid reply to the lyrics of god save the queen.

I'm going to take a huge leap here and conclude that you live in Ireland.
    If that is the case, then I suggest you avoid country pubs at the weekend, where these songs are sung on quite a regular basis.
    If you don't live in Ireland, then I suggest avoiding all Irish pubs in whatever country you do live in.

No fence sitting.
    I'd be in favour of the posting of nationalist lyrics because it's part of our culture.
    That's not to say I'm a rabid republican though. I generally couldn't give a flying fúck what happens in Northern Ireland.

Like Seamus said though, it's fine as long as it's on topic. Shouldn't be done in an inflamatory manner either.

If someone did post lyrics in an inflamatory manner, then I would ban them.

Before you ask, no I didn't think they were posted in an inflamatory manner in that thread. It was a valid reply to the lyrics of god save the queen.

I'm going to take a huge leap here and conclude that you live in Ireland.
    If that is the case, then I suggest you avoid country pubs at the weekend, where these songs are sung on quite a regular basis.
    If you don't live in Ireland, then I suggest avoiding all Irish pubs in whatever country you do live in.
    Sorry I should have said I am Irish. But as you say that it was posted in response to God Save The Queen.What if say the Spanish national anthem was posted would it be received the way GSTQ was?

Also what annoyed me more than the song was being banned for saying he had the intelligence of a squirrell. I mean come on you hear worse in junior infants.

You can say it if you like, but you'll find that we're much less receptive to any complaints you make in future, and we're likely to tell you where to go.
    So I can make any general taunt and get away with it yes??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

So I can make any general taunt and get away with it yes??

Seriously, get a grip.
    If you cannot understand what seamus and Terry are saying, you're not going to last too long in AH once your ban is up.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Seriously, get a grip.
    If you cannot understand what seamus and Terry are saying, you're not going to last too long in AH once your ban is up.
    Come on all I'm saying a ban for saying someone has the intelligence of a squirrell.In my eyes all that warrants is a warning.

On another forum, perhaps. After Hours has a "no tolerance" policy on personal abuse, because of the nature of the forum.

Read it's charter. It's there in black and white.

• Advertisement

On another forum, perhaps. After Hours has a "no tolerance" policy on personal abuse, because of the nature of the forum.

Read it's charter. It's there in black and white.
    After Hours if full of sarcasm and that is all I was doing being sarcastic.

Advertisement