Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Banning From After Hours

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

hunter164 wrote: »
    Sorry I should have said I am Irish. But as you say that it was posted in response to God Save The Queen.What if say the Spanish national anthem was posted would it be received the way GSTQ was?

Also what annoyed me more than the song was being banned for saying he had the intelligence of a squirrell. I mean come on you hear worse in junior infants.
    Firstly, the Spanish never invaded Ireland.
    Poor bastards were screwed by the weather twice.
    Had it not been for that, we would probably be speaking Spanish now as we would undoubtedly have been eventually conquered by them under the guise of them helping us get rid of the British.
    That didn't happen though.
    What did happen was the British invaded this country and there is still a lot of resentment among some people.
    Some of those people chose to put it into song. Someone chose to post the lyrics of that song and you chose to personally attack that person.
    As a result of that personal attack, you were banned.

Now you could argue semantics until you are blue in the face, but I have made my decision and I believe I was right in my actions.

Secondly, regarding playground behaviour, we tend to try and discourage that on this site. Most of us are adults and do not resort to playground type behaviour if something upsets us.

Once again, your ban will not be overturned and nobody else will be banned for anything posted in that thread.

After Hours if full of sarcasm and that is all I was doing being sarcastic.

I don't believe you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Terry wrote: »
    Firstly, the Spanish never invaded Ireland.
    Poor bastards were screwed by the weather twice.
    Had it not been for that, we would probably be speaking Spanish now as we would undoubtedly have been eventually conquered by them under the guise of them helping us get rid of the British.
    That didn't happen though.
    What did happen was the British invaded this country and there is still a lot of resentment among some people.
    Some of those people chose to put it into song. Someone chose to post the lyrics of that song and you chose to personally attack that person.
    As a result of that personal attack, you were banned.

Now you could argue semantics until you are blue in the face, but I have made my decision and I believe I was right in my actions.

Secondly, regarding playground behaviour, we tend to try and discourage that on this site. Most of us are adults and do not resort to playground type behaviour if something upsets us.

Once again, your ban will not be overturned and nobody else will be banned for anything posted in that thread.

I don't believe you were.
    First of all no need for the history lesson.
    Second of all,even though the British invaded us there is no need to post that kind of a retort to ajoke like that.

Also I was being sarcastic and if I was serious I would have called him a c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Either you don't know what sarcasm is or you're just really, really bad at it.

Either way, it wasn't sarcasm.

And how wasn't it? Do you find intelligence of a squirell a serious statement? Because I for one don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Also my viewpoint was that he has the intelligence of a squirrell and I find that a lot less abusive than what he said.
    Less abusive, so you believe you were being abusive.
    Why don't you tell me people that when all I said was you have the intelligence of a squirrell? Because that is cleary less offensive than that term.
    You are agreeing that you are being offensive.
    Ye it seems to be ok to slag people when you're pro nationalist but once you slag them you're daffy ducked.
    You agree that you are slagging someone.
    Come on all I'm saying a ban for saying someone has the intelligence of a squirrell.In my eyes all that warrants is a warning.
    You agree that you should get a warning.
    After Hours if full of sarcasm and that is all I was doing being sarcastic.
    Sarcastic? But you just agreed that you should have been warned for slagging someone by being offensive and abusive. Why are you now saying that you were just being sarcastic?
    Also I was being sarcastic and if I was serious I would have called him a c**t.
    Why would someone that wasn't serious have to be warned for slagging someone by being offensive and abusive?
    And how wasn't it?
    What do you mean exactly?

Sarcasm generally means humour found from the stance of obvious oppositeness while retaining the actual non-oppositeness of the situation, however, the oppositeness stance is obviously wrong and hence will cause some mirth by stating it. I think you should read up on what the word means.

If you truly were being sarcastic by saying "you have the intelligence of a squirrel" then your meaning is actually that the person in question is rather clever. If you want to simplify it think of sarcasm being the opposite of what you say. Therefore you couldn't possibly have been sarcastic because you just told everybody that you were insulting him and deserved to have a moderator apply swift justice to you.
    If all you can add to this discussion is sarcasm, I'd prefer if you left.
    Beruthiel wasn't being sarcastic. Read up on the word. And if you can't listen to someone giving you solid answers, I'd suggest you start squirreling away your thoughts for a rainy day, get those nuggets of wisdom stored for when it matters, nut just any day. The chasm between rainy days and nuggets of wisdom is so vast I'm sore in the head, a sore chasm if I ever saw one. A sore chasm you say? COZ THAT'S POSSIBLE, OF COURSE IT IS. ROLLEYES.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Less abusive, so you believe you were being abusive.

You are agreeing that you are being offensive.

You agree that you are slagging someone.

You agree that you should get a warning.

Sarcastic? But you just agreed that you should have been warned for slagging someone by being offensive and abusive. Why are you now saying that you were just being sarcastic?

Why would someone that wasn't serious have to be warned for slagging someone by being offensive and abusive?

What do you mean exactly?

Sarcasm generally means humour found from the stance of obvious oppositeness while retaining the actual non-oppositeness of the situation, however, the oppositeness stance is obviously wrong and hence will cause some mirth by stating it. I think you should read up on what the word means.

If you truly were being sarcastic by saying "you have the intelligence of a squirrel" then your meaning is actually that the person in question is rather clever. If you want to simplify it think of sarcasm being the opposite of what you say. Therefore you couldn't possibly have been sarcastic because you just told everybody that you were insulting him and deserved to have a moderator apply swift justice to you.

Beruthiel wasn't being sarcastic. Read up on the word. And if you can't listen to someone giving you solid answers, I'd suggest you start squirreling away your thoughts for a rainy day, get those nuggets of wisdom stored for when it matters, nut just any day. The chasm between rainy days and nuggets of wisdom is so vast I'm sore in the head, a sore chasm if I ever saw one. A sore chasm you say? COZ THAT'S POSSIBLE, OF COURSE IT IS. ROLLEYES.
    I would happily accept my ban if Counting Crows was also banned for what he posted as we were both at it. But it seems if you post nationalist songs you're ok.

Advertisement