Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approach ORR with caution

• 26-08-2008 12:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just to give people the heads up, as the Gardai are doing a speed check on the ORR (the roundabout that turns of towards Butlerstown/Waterford Crystal direction) and are pulling over cars on the lane and not on the side verge - so if your switching lanes, or heading out that direction you might want to be a little bit more cautious as its pretty dangerous they way they are stopping traffic. There are 3 guards and the jeep is hidden away. Its a mounted speed check.

Also, a lot of cars are snailing it as a result and you will notice a lot of cars on the other side of the carriage way flashing you and waving you down to give you the heads up.

Obviously im not suggesting people are speeding on this road, im just giving the heads up for those who might want to approach with caution to avoid an accident. They seem to be doing speed checks on that stretch more regularly as they were doing it on the Six Cross Roads Roundabout yesterday evening but just not as successful as today's. Take it easy folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Cheers was just about to head out that way. 60kmph is a joke anyway. As far as I know it's being increased to 80 soon enough....

At 60 I'd say the road is a goldmine for the Gardai though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What an idiotic way to do a speed check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

:Djust seen the garda, talk about bad parking of the vectra they have as well, its arse was hanging into the lane....
    weird thing was they had two speed camera's one mounted on a tripod and the other was being handled by a ban garda...
    (and linking to the other thread about ban garda,not bad ):D

Strange the two camera's where being used...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seem to be all out in force over the last few days.. whatever about doing speed checks, pulling people over on a lane was, in my opinion, very dangerous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

By the sounds of it the pulling in is arse ways but I hope their there this evening as they'll catch the usual muppets who think its ok to do 100km+ while overtaking 10-20 cars at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote: »
    By the sounds of it the pulling in is arse ways but I hope their there this evening as they'll catch the usual muppets who think its ok to do 100km+ while overtaking 10-20 cars at a time.

Overtaking is safe on those roads until they cut in against the traffic on the left hand lane. Its completely different to overtaking a string of cars on the Tramore road, or the road to Dublin etc.

As for speeding, the road probably could be safe enough for 100.. maybe..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    As for speeding, the road probably could be safe enough for 100.. maybe..

I think the road would def be safe for 80km and maybe 100knm, when you think the ORR in Kilkenny is set at 100km yet it has more roundabouts and is a single lane road and is fine at this.

None the less if the road is legally set to 60km and almost everyone follows this then anyone doing 100km+ deserves to be pulled over for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

They are doing speed checks on the Airport Road as well. Now that it is safer :confused: I am tempted go on but I won’t....

They are doing speed checks on the Airport Road as well. Now that it is safer :confused: I am tempted go on but I won’t....

They have a tendency to strike those type of roads because people have a tendency to drive faster on them. Nice big stretch of wide road, newley surfaced vs. old narrow battered road surface road where going to fast will get you killed :p

They were doing another check point on the Tramore Road this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only reason the KK ring road is 100 (which is priolly too fast 80 would be grand) is cos its on a national route, just wait till the new M9 opens KK cc will knock it back to 60 and they'll be all raging about it.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I hope their there this evening as they'll catch the usual muppets who think its ok to do 100km+ while overtaking 10-20 cars at a time.

Not gonna happen.. Its Rose of Tralee night on RTE. Lots of paperwork to be done in Ballybricken.

/Cynicism

Trotter wrote: »
    Not gonna happen.. Its Rose of Tralee night on RTE. Lots of paperwork to be done in Ballybricken.

/Cynicism

No sign of them yesterday after work alright, seems they had to get ready for rose of tralee :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The gardai's 2008 overtime budget has been blown in the last 4 weeks due to the unrest in this area. Someone has to replenish the coffers.......if they want to save lives, theyre on the wrong road

wellbutty wrote: »
    The gardai's 2008 overtime budget has been blown in the last 4 weeks due to the unrest in this area. Someone has to replenish the coffers.......if they want to save lives, theyre on the wrong road

Have you seen some of the idiots driving on that road? Cutting lanes to be at the top of the queue, breaking suddenly at the roundabout (just look at the skidmarks!) etc. The Airport road is probably open to abuse as well since its new and pretty much straight. The Tramore Road has also been stalked over the last few nights with Guards.

Though, it is funny that most of these checks are always at the end of the month. :p Id like to see more back roads being targeted - id say a lot of drunken drivers head this direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Airport road aswell...
    The new section of Airport Road as of last week ws still set officially at 50KPH. Has it being increased since then because if not then 98% of motorists on that road are gonna be in trouble!

Shooting fish in a barrel isen't even as easy as that.
    Sully
    Nice big stretch of wide road, newley surfaced vs. old narrow battered road surface road where going to fast will get you killed

Spot on Sully, in light of last weeks fatality on the old Tramore road, it just go's to show what a folly there speed checks on the Airport,ORR and Tramore road. The Gardai in Tramore and the City certainly have a case to answer for.

By the way after passing a checkpoint on the Tramore road at the weekend I now get who Robocop is.....Robo definetly likes his leathers!!!

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Airport road aswell...
    The new section of Airport Road as of last week ws still set officially at 50KPH. Has it being increased since then because if not then 98% of motorists on that road are gonna be in trouble!

I would imagine they wont keep the road at 50, I think that's just for roadworks? Hope not.. Wasn't the old road much higher then that?
    Spot on Sully, in light of last weeks fatality on the old Tramore road, it just go's to show what a folly there speed checks on the Airport,ORR and Tramore road. The Gardai in Tramore and the City certainly have a case to answer for.

I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding you, but im in support of the speed checks they have been doing recently. My only concern is, I never see them on back roads which accounts for most accidents if im not mistaken? It needs to be balanced and definitely needs to be "upped" - I very very rarely see any speed checks bar the lads in Tramore doing it on the bridge
    By the way after passing a checkpoint on the Tramore road at the weekend I now get who Robocop is.....Robo definetly likes his leathers!!!

Ya I think that's the chap they refer to as "robocop". He is mostly assigned to traffic, and to be fair to him, he does do a good job. I don't see much traffic watch by Guards, but this chap I see a good bit.

The bikers in Waterford are all traffic squad I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I would imagine they wont keep the road at 50, I think that's just for roadworks? Hope not.. Wasn't the old road much higher then that?

The road is to become 80 kph once all the landscaping is done, but outside work hours the current 50 kph limit is a bit silly. Compared to the old road the new Airport road is first class. The old limit was 80 kph also, though you would be mad to try hitting 80kph on that cattle track!

Regarding the speed checks, my point is that while , yes, speed checks should be carried out everywhere at some point, at the moment the most dangerous road in that part of the world goes seemingly unchecked. Certainly does nothing to change the popular opinion that the primary motive of speed checks are revenue generation and hitting targets rather than improving road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I find it ridiculous that they're speed trapping on the airport road. They must be mighty stuck to take in a few bob.

The ORR is a total disaster aswell, thats the biggest revenue income for the gardai. That road is well able to be policed to a safe 80 or 100kph.

This really is one stupid country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

was on the ORR yesterday evening about 7:15 and the were at the Six Cross Roads roundabout catching traffic comming from the Tramore road side of the ORR in a speed trap.

maybe a e-mail to minister for Justice and garda commisionar asking them why they are doing speed traps on Waterford's safest roads while at the same time completely ignoring the dangerous ones, and explaing to them that only last week a motocyclist died on a very dangerous road and no speed trap in sight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I take it someone has pointed out its the end of the month?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

None the less if the road is legally set to 60km and almost everyone follows this then anyone doing 100km+ deserves to be pulled over for it
    Almost everyone drives at 80kph with very few exceptions. Then again, no one sticks to the 50kph limit on the dunmore road either.
    mike65 wrote: »
    ...KK cc will knock it back to 60 and they'll be all raging about it.
    Of course they will, the speed limits in this country are ridiculous. 60kph on the new ORR, 80kph on the Tramore Road... and 100kph on every booreen in the countryside :rolleyes:
    Flyer1 wrote: »
    This really is one stupid country.
    And the idiots that always vote for the same incompetent government, just because Daddy voted for them.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

alpha2zulu wrote: »

Regarding the speed checks, my point is that while , yes, speed checks should be carried out everywhere at some point, at the moment the most dangerous road in that part of the world goes seemingly unchecked. Certainly does nothing to change the popular opinion that the primary motive of speed checks are revenue generation and hitting targets rather than improving road safety.

Two somethings about that.
    First, monies generated by speed checks do not go into the coffers of the Gardai so there is no financial imperative for them to mount them.

Secondly, the almost universal view of why check points are almost always mounted on our safer roads is that these roads are busier and thus the Gardai hit count will be higher. But its important to remember that the Gardai have limited resources. They (or any other police force) cannot deal with every single incident of law breaking so it seems sensible to use the resources they do have efficiently. And its more efficient to setup shop on the busier roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If Robocop catches you will he pull you in there and then on his bike or do you get it in the post?

Advertisement