Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

international transfer funds

Options
  • 26-08-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hello,
    Not sure this is the best place to post this.

My wife and I have moved back to Ireland from the US. We saved some money there and use it whenever we go back for holidays. Thing is we are hoping to get a mortgage in the next few months and could do with moving the money over here. Even if we dont get a mortgage id like to be able to move it over here in the future.

I use xe.com. I found them fine, they charge little commission but there is a limit on how much you can move at a time and how many trasaction you can make. Interbank tranfers are expensive with lots of commission charged.

Am i missing anything? Does anyone know how to easily and cheaply move funds internationally?

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Use your Irish bank, it should be far cheaper. Also if its a lot you can book a rate to make sure you get the best deal. This can be done in your branch too.

As for mortgage purposes you can use it as showing savings. Its in another currency but It would count towards to application. Of course the bank should understand that with the poor $ its worth more to you to leave it there for the time being, but you can get it when you want for a house deposit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I asked at my bank about doing an international money transfer and they said it'd cost €35. Is that cheaper than xe.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Thanks for the reply.

When i went to my any bank including my own there is a wire charge and also there is a foreign currency charge. When i asked about this the first time it was 1.43 dollars for a euro. To move my dollars i had to pay a wire fee and also buy euro at 1.48 instead of 1.43.

When i went to xe.com it was 1.44 with a charge for wiring added.
    Even the xe thing is a bit complicated and limited though thats why i wanted to get a service that has low commission and fees with no limits on amounts.

I will leave my dollar where it is for the time being but i will need to tap into it in the future

To transfer my money, I got a USD bank draft drawn up and just sent it to me rents and had them lodge it into my account. So if you know someone on the other side you can trust, you can get them to lodge a bank draft for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

"to me rents"

???

• Advertisement

Parents

Advertisement