Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Statue of Marcus Aurelius Found

• 26-08-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭

Archaelogists in Turkey have found remnants of an equisite marble statue of the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius at an archaelogical site in Turkey. For somebody who is an archaelogical nerd I find this discovery to be of huge significance. Amazingly the head is fully intact with little or no degradation over the last 1500 years. In fact the site where the statue was found was severly damaged and nearly destroyed by an earthquake somewhere between 540 AD and 620 AD. As well as the head, the right arm and lower legs were found high in the Turkish mountains in the ancient city of Sagalassos. It is an extraordinary find of high magnitude. It was found in a Roman-era bath in Sagalassos. The statue is 4.5 meters high (almost 15 feet).

Marcus Aurelius was considered to have been known as one of the Five Good Emperors during the reign of the Roman Empire. The others being Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian and Antoninus Pius. In addition to his deeds as emperor, Marcus Aurelius is remembered for his writings, and is considered one of the foremost Stoic philosophers. Marcus Aurelius was portrayed by Richard Harris in the Oscar-winning 2000 film Gladiator.

4260492606.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7580745.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was reading about this site when they found Faustina the Elder during the month. Some really nice finds.

You can follow the site at http://www.sagalassos.be/ and http://www.archaeology.org/interactive/sagalassos/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hmmm, the movie did a good likeness of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I had heard something about this over the weekend. Thanks to you and buffalo for the update and links!

Trajan may be considered one of the Five Great but I doubt if the Dacians would have thought that :p!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

boneless wrote: »
    I had heard something about this over the weekend. Thanks to you and buffalo for the update and links!

Trajan may be considered one of the Five Great but I doubt if the Dacians would have thought that :p!

Glad you enjoyed the links. The invasion of the Dacians came 3 years into his reign while he was still a military commander and not as a civilian adminstrator in which he was responsible for very extensive public building programs which re-shaped Rome. Possibly as a result due to outside influences and growing unrest within the senate he decided to invade the kingdom of Dacia for the vast gold mines.

Advertisement