Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynacord p5 amp fried - suggestions backup solution

Options
  • 26-08-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Blew my P5 amp last weekend, in with dynacord repair shop. Need a replacement for this weekend or until I get it back. What options do I have? Will consider hiring but will probably have to put a permanent backup solution in the back of the van in case she goes again.
    Ive got the 2 P5 tops and 4 bins but would get away the tops and 2 of the bins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'd be interested to know the how and why of the amp going down. Prevention is always easier (and cheaper) than the cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

I'd be interested to know the how and why of the amp going down. Prevention is always easier (and cheaper) than the cure.

Agreed, waiting on a fix from the shop first.
    Normally putting the whole band through, sending from an A&H 2200, been working fine for last 4 years. I DJ after the band, depending on the gig I mostly use the DJ mixer through a channel on the A&H however the odd time if I can get away with it I whip out the desk sends and go straight from the DJ mixer into the amp which I did last saturday.
    Normally works fine and Im always careful to keep an eye on the send level but I bought a new mixer 2 weeks ago and that was the first time Id used it straight through the amp. Yes, on the face of it, chances are it was the new mixer that caused it but the levels were fine at the time it went so am not convinced.
    Id be interested in seeing if anyone can recommend a cheapish* amp/cable/Xover solution that i can put in quickly that will suffice for the p5 speakers (the p5 amp is around 2.5ke), Im out of my depth on the tech side. cheers.

* I know and understand the baggage that comes with that word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Assuming the new DJ mixer is 'cheapish' then I'd start there tbh. I don't know a DJ who isn't fond of pushing the red line, but on cheaper mixers they're not an accurate means of measuring your actual output level.

I'd look at getting a dedicated system limiter between the DJ mixer and the amp, absolutely essential tbh. A&H and Dynacord are great stuff, so long as you keep out of clip. Bypassing the A&H, you're relying solely on those pokey little chinese made LED's on your mixer.

Anyway back OT, I don't know what the P5 speaker specs are off hand but if you're serious about amp shopping for a spare then anything that meets the speaker's RMS and Program ratings somewhere in the middle.

Advertisement