Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool vs Liege

• 26-08-2008 1:33pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It would have been nice if Rafa could have rested a few players for this but the woefully display in the first leg means this is not an option.There is some scaremongering going on about this game but I am fully confidant Liverpool will go through and if there is an early goal it may well turn into a 3/4 goal win.

I do not expect to see Mascherano back for this one,its a bit early IMO.He should be back for the Villa game on Sun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is this game tonight or tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Considering how Liverpool have been playing, I think its entirely possible this one will go to the wire. The players Liverpool have are a class apart from Lieges, but if Mascherano is out, I'd imagine the system is going to be like the one employed at Boro, which really didn't work that well.
    Also Liege played to Liverpools defensive weakness in the first leg, by whipping in crosses.
    Still fully expect Gerrard/Torres to score a winner in the 87th minute of course, but Liverpool really should be able to put this tie away early, just depends on if Rafa can find the system to suit his current players. Seems he's just sticking with the old system despite it not really working, taking the scrappy wins in the last 10 minutes, just hoping to get through until Mascherano returns.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des wrote: »
    Is this game tonight or tomorrow?

Tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Masch isnt even registered to play in these first round of games as far as i know.

Babel was the only "olympian" registered.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Tomorrow.

Feck it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The system played against Boro was not great,I am still amazed at how long it took for the ball to go from the defense to the attack.Plus the old lack of with is still a major prob,even when Babel came on he was not used much it must have taken him 10 min to even get a touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Des wrote: »
    Feck it anyway.

Cén fáth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool are gonna tear into this match as they know they havn't been playing well. Champions league match at Anfield will lift their performance.

I do feel though there could be a lot of huffing and puffing and it will take the introduction of a substitute to change the match.

I wouldn't mind seeing ngog come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Either 2-0 or squeaky bum in extra time 1-0 win.

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carra-Hyypia-Dossena
    Kuyt---Gerrard--Alonso--Babel
    Keane-Torres

is pretty much what I expect but not what I'd play.

Mike.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Cén fáth

I wanted to watch it, but Boardeaux have a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It just depends on how Liverpool play. If they're consistant in their performances this season, we'll struggle. But if we can go at them from the start and get an early goal then it should be alright on the night!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Masch isnt even registered to play in these first round of games as far as i know.

Babel was the only "olympian" registered.

I don't know one way or the other whether he is registered or not. But my guess is he is as no media has stated otherwise plus the way Rafa has been talking, it sounds like he could play him, he just doesn't think he's ready and would prefer to save him for the Villa match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

uh-oh :( Des must fancy an upset if he was hoping to watch it :(

Mr Alan wrote: »
    uh-oh :( Des must fancy an upset if he was hoping to watch it :(

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PHB wrote: »
    Considering how Liverpool have been playing, I think its entirely possible this one will go to the wire. The players Liverpool have are a class apart from Lieges, but if Mascherano is out, I'd imagine the system is going to be like the one employed at Boro, which really didn't work that well.
    Also Liege played to Liverpools defensive weakness in the first leg, by whipping in crosses.
    Still fully expect Gerrard/Torres to score a winner in the 87th minute of course, but Liverpool really should be able to put this tie away early, just depends on if Rafa can find the system to suit his current players. Seems he's just sticking with the old system despite it not really working, taking the scrappy wins in the last 10 minutes, just hoping to get through until Mascherano returns.

Doesn't look to me to be the same old system. More like a 4-4-2 tbh and because of this Kuyt and Benayoun have struggled as they don't suit playing wide in a 4 man midfield.
    Can see the old system (4-2-3-1) coming back into play when Mascher is back playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Liverpool will win but it'll either be a comfortable 3 or 4 goal margin or a nervous 1-0 win. Many times last season, especially in Europe, the nerves seemed to disappear and we we seemed to play with a lot more freedom once the first goal went in. See Marseille away(0-4), Besiktas home(8-0) and FC Porto home (4-1) for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote: »

Reina
    Keane-Torres

Mike.

I reckon Aurelio will start. Initially I thought it would be instead of Dossena, but now I think it might be on the left wing.
    I'd like to see Agger play.
    There might be a surprise at right back too given Arbeloa has been below par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

There might be a surprise at right back too given Arbeloa has been below par.

I'd like to see Finnan in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ibh wrote: »
    Doesn't look to me to be the same old system. More like a 4-4-2 tbh and because of this Kuyt and Benayoun have struggled as they don't suit playing wide in a 4 man midfield.
    Can see the old system (4-2-3-1) coming back into play when Mascher is back playing.

It looked to me like a kind of

Alonso
    Gerrrard
    ---Kuyt
    Keane
    Benayoun-
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PHB wrote: »
    It looked to me like a kind of

Alonso
    Gerrrard
    ---Kuyt
    Keane
    Benayoun-
    Torres

Well maybe so, but i don't think so. It was as close to a straight 4-4-2 as i have seen Rafa play. It has been noticable (imo) that Torres and Keane have been up top together rather than Keane being in a 3some(:eek:) behind Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

its a different system,he is playing a 4-4-2 with torres and keane playing up top.
    Also its with Gerrard as an out and out cm not through the middle attacking cm.
    Interesting to see if he sticks with this when Masch is back

ibh wrote: »
    Well maybe so, but i don't think so. It was as close to a straight 4-4-2 as i have seen Rafa play. It has been noticable (imo) that Torres and Keane have been up top together rather than Keane being in a 3some(:eek:) behind Torres.

I think though, once the season is a few games in and the new players settle down, then the players will be interchangable within whatever formation they're playing. The likes of Keane and Gerrard can all play in different positions and i noticed Kuyt and Benayoun switched sides for a while in the Boro game. I think Rafa is ultimately going for that kind of team where they can cover each other. Probably why he went for Barry who can play in different positions himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I'd like to see Finnan in there.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »

Reina
    Keane-Torres

Mike.

Carra and Hyypia ????

Surely its going to be Carra and Agger(most likely) or Carra and Skrtel.

Apart from that I agree that's most likely the team that will play as well as the team I would play.

What team would you play Mike?

Subs: Cavailieri, Hyypia, Aurelio, Plessis, El Zhar, Ngog, Benayoun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

monkey9 wrote: »
    I don't know one way or the other whether he is registered or not. But my guess is he is as no media has stated otherwise plus the way Rafa has been talking, it sounds like he could play him, he just doesn't think he's ready and would prefer to save him for the Villa match.

He's not registered. The squad we registered with UEFA for this round is here:
    http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/club=7889/competition=1/index.html
    No Masch or Lucas.

39 Nathan Gregory Junior Eccleston * :confused:

Thats some name! Never heard of the fella and I usually keep an eye out for the reserve team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm probably going to miss the game, but I predict SG to bail us out again.

Thats some name! Never heard of the fella and I usually keep an eye out for the reserve team

I think he's the bloke we got just after he was released by Utd. He's a striker if i'm not mistaken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

you wouldn't want to be paying per letter to get that on the back of your shirt :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Masch and Alonso are both not eligible.

I can see Liverpool dominating the game TBH.
    Not on the scoresheet unfortunately, but in gameplay.
    I expect an easy enough 2-0.

I'd imagine we'll see something like

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Agger
    Aurelio
    Alonso

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Keane
    Babel

Torres

Hyypia and Skrtel both have slight injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I can see Liverpool dominating the game TBH.

Just like Boro? Reckon Liverpool will stutter along again. 1nil win after ET.

I'm gonna go with a 2-0 win.

It will involve the introduction of a substitute to turn the game though.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just like Boro? Reckon Liverpool will stutter along again. 1nil win after ET.

So Arsenal lost to Fulham, they'll obviously loose to Twente then?!!

Football tends to not work that way.

Liverpool were bellow par against Boro, I'd imagine an improvement.

An improvement on our part, and we'll over-run them.

So Arsenal lost to Fulham, they'll obviously loose to Twente then?!!

Football tends to not work that way.

Liverpool were bellow par against Boro, I'd imagine an improvement.

An improvement on our part, and we'll over-run them.

IMO, they've been below par so far. It hasn't been the best start to the season even though they've won games.

I still think they'll go through, but they will stutter along.

IMO, they've been below par so far. It hasn't been the best start to the season even though they've won games.

I still think they'll go through, but they will stutter along.

They have been dire, but TBH I'm happier with us playing badly and getting six points, than playing well and getting 2.

We do need a serious upturn however, and I think that a European night in Anfield could be just the kickstart needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll take any sort of win tonight. Yes, it would be nice to see us play well - but elimination would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Unfortunately I see this one going Liverpools way. Maybe even a goal for Keane to kickstart his season. I'd be very surprised if Liege scored so for me its 1-0 or 2-0 Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Twice in the last week ive had the same dream which is Liege beating us 1-0 tonight. I hope to christ it doesnt come true. I didnt see the first leg(Was at a gig) so have no idea of how Liege played and how to expect them to line out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just checked PP, Liege to win 1-0 is 25/1

Melion wrote: »
    Twice in the last week ive had the same dream which is Liege beating us 1-0 tonight. I hope to christ it doesnt come true. I didnt see the first leg(Was at a gig) so have no idea of how Liege played and how to expect them to line out.

Liege aren't bad at all - and if we play rubbish they will do us. But if we click in any way whatsoever I think we should be fine. It's our game to lose tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think he's the bloke we got just after he was released by Utd. He's a striker if i'm not mistaken!

Nope. Was signed from Bury. Plays for the U-18's mostly but may make the reserves this year. Very highly thought of.

Stky10 wrote: »
    Nope. Was signed from Bury. Plays for the U-18's mostly but may make the reserves this year. Very highly thought of.

Yeah, he's right up near the top of Liverpools underage rankings AFAIK.
    The coaches have high expectations.
    He's only 17 I think.

He's only in to make the quota for English players though.

England youth international Nathan Eccleston is a fast striker currently learning his trade in the under-18s and reserves.

Big things are expected of the Manchester-born forward, who scored on his second string debut against Bolton in 2007-08.

The campaign also brought memorable strikes against Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Youth Cup and Manchester United in the Lancashire FA Cup final.

"Nathan is an exciting player with a lot of potential," says under-18s boss Hughie McAuley. "He can take defenders on and score goals.

"Physically he needs to get stronger and that's what we are working on with him in training. His ability is not in question. He loves his football and this year could be a really exciting one for Nathan.

"When he plays for the under-18 team he needs to be the best player every week and he knows that. He has still got a lot to learn about the game but he is hungry and he wants to do well. He has a real belief in his own ability."

He'll be 18 in December.

They have been dire, but TBH I'm happier with us playing badly and getting six points, than playing well and getting 2.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. This time last year and the year before yous would draw and lose them games.

I'd be encouraged as a Pool fan by the start you've made. Still think yous are 2 or 3 players off still being around come May though.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. This time last year and the year before yous would draw and lose them games.

I'd be encouraged as a Pool fan by the start you've made. Still think yous are 2 or 3 players off still being around come May though.

True but If players like babel develope, and Riera flourishes, we could surprise a few.
    No saying it will happen, but I can dream!;)

True but If players like babel develope, and Riera flourishes, we could surprise a few.
    No saying it will happen, but I can dream!;)

Good Lord, every January must be a nightmare for you (i.e. when it becomes clear we can't do it) - finished off with a second period of bleak nothingness most years when we bust out of our last cup competition. Though your optimism is admirable all the same! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know whether it was Liverpool or Liege the last night, but Liege looked very good, very disciplined and were in total control for most of the game.
    I thought that Liverpool really failed out wide and as such did not stretch the Liege defense. Whether it was Liverpool's bad performance that made Liege look good I'm not sure.
    They need to be better than that game tonight and better than against Middlesboro the other day or they could very well go out.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good Lord, every January must be a nightmare for you (i.e. when it becomes clear we can't do it) - finished off with a second period of bleak nothingness most years when we bust out of our last cup competition. Though your optimism is admirable all the same! :)

It's all about the positive thinking man.
    But there is logic there too.
    If we're 2-3 players of a league winning team, and Keane and Riera are relevations, while Babel comes to age, there's 3 players right there.

Not saying it will, happen, just saying that it won't deffinately not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Team:

Reina

----Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Dossena

Alonso
    Gerrard

--- Kuyt
    Keane
    Babel

Torres

Ideally, Mascherano would be in where Gerrard is with Gerrard out wide instead of Kuyt.

Riera may replace Babel on the left.

How much more dangerous would Liverpool be though if they had some quality on the flanks??!
    Thrown Robben and Quaresma either side of Keane and perhaps Torres wont feel that burden
    of expectation so much on his shoulders

slingerz wrote: »
    Team:

Reina

----Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Dossena

Alonso
    Gerrard

--- Kuyt
    Keane
    Babel

Torres

Ideally, Mascherano would be in where Gerrard is with Gerrard out wide instead of Kuyt.

Riera may replace Babel on the left.

How much more dangerous would Liverpool be though if they had some quality on the flanks??!
    Thrown Robben and Quaresma either side of Keane and perhaps Torres wont feel that burden
    of expectation so much on his shoulders

Queresma = whiney complainer who won't change his game style, so refused to come to Liverpool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement