Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool vs Liege

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    1: on at least 4-5 occassions Skrtl carried the ball into their half looking for probing passes. I thought he did excellently.

2: were you watching the same game with El Zhar? he went by his marker numerous times, put in a couple of good balls into the box and dribbled round a few of their defenders on a lovely little run into their box, resulting in them taking him out of it for wat should have been a definate penalty. it was his second ever appearance at Anfield afaik.

are you on a wind up here?

so much to slate about last night, and you choose two of the people who came away from the game with any credit?! wtf?

Thought Aurelio looked tidy last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Draupnir wrote: »
    Yeah I watched the game from 27 minutes gone until the end. Perhaps I just remember the bad things more easily than you whilst you let the decent moments push the bad dreams out of your head.

Your left winger put in a "couple of good balls" and you remember a single "lovely little run" and you reckon he did well? I thought he dived for that penalty appeal too.

El Zhar played on the right Draupnir.

You are embarrasing yourself with your clueless **** stirring.

It was about as stone wall a penalty you will ever see too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Clueless. It was about as stone wall a penalty you will ever see too.

I didn't think it was stone wall at all, El Zhar was on the left each time I saw him get dispossessed by their excellent full back Marcos I believe was his name.

What was the story with Torres lashing it into the crowd that time, did he see that bird Rio hit with the ball last year or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I thought Skrtl just fouled his marker every time he got the chance and hoofed the ball around, I think his positioning is highly suspect. El Zarrrr just seems like a headless chicken, he can't dribble, he can't pass and he can't get to the byline based on last nights game.

Are you taking the piss here???
    It was a poor performance but ElZhar was actually a bit of a breath of fresh air when he came on...
    Skrtel was good as well i thought. If he was fouling his man everytime they went for it, i didn't see it. Him and the centre forward were both going at each other. Good to see imo.
    I also though he tried to play the ball from defence pretty much every time he had it. Carra on the other hand.....

I reckon you are trying to stir up shit on here. I've seen a few posts from you in the past day or so that lead me to that opinion. You wouldn't be a utd fan by any chance??? Boggles, is this your alernative account??:D

I don't think any Pool fans will be happy with performances so far this season. I am extremely unhappy with them, but it's early days so not the time to be panicking.

Edit: Just read your above post, and you're right. That was plian nasty of Torres lashing the ball into the crowd. Hope he's dropped for the Villa game. Good spot btw...

copacetic wrote: »
    Chelsea have looked good so far, utd extremely lucky to have any points at all

Did u type that with a straight face? United were unlucky not to beat a robust Newcastle. A draw was probably fair, but we definitely weren't lucky to draw. We were also missing a whole horde of 1st teamers. And we comprehensively oputplayed Pompey with Martin Tyler even suggesting that 2 or 3 nil wouldnt have flattered us.

Get real ffs.

Why did you edit this post Al? Did you post the first time then leave the desk, read a few words on your word of the day calendar and decide to add them onto your post to strengthen your position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

stonewaller is right. Ive seen worse tackles but I think they were on fever pitch dvds. Well done, Pool were below par but deserved victory. Gerrard big loss for upcoming games...

ibh wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss here???
    I reckon you are trying to stir up shit on here. I've seen a few posts from you in the past day or so that lead me to that opinion. You wouldn't be a utd fan by any chance??? Boggles, is this your alernative account??:D

Why do you reckon that I am sh't stirring just because my opinion differs to yours?

I could report you for insinuating that I am using a second account but I wont, I see that you are a newbie and will let it slide.

I agree with your point, Skrtl and his marker, the lad with the mad hair, were as bad as each other in the fouling department.

I didn't think it was stone wall at all, El Zhar was on the left each time I saw him get dispossessed by their excellent full back Marcos I believe was his name.

What was the story with Torres lashing it into the crowd that time, did he see that bird Rio hit with the ball last year or something?

Marcos was the right back operating against Babel.

Self-Pwnage at its best.

El Zhar's penalty claim was stone wall as tv replays showed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mike65 wrote: »
    Have to kill a pope too don't forget.

Here is the full list

Mike.

There was no new pope in 1981! You're thinkign of 78...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

no i just re-read and realised that grammatically it was poor.

and that i was being too light on you for you lame attempts and stirring **** by making things up and generally talking nonsense.

no i just re-read and realised that grammatically it was poor.

and that i was being too light on you for you lame attempts and stirring **** by making things up and generally talking nonsense.

My opinion is my opinion.

My last opinion will be this, do you Liverpool fans think that Benitez will now realise he needs a few decent wingers since the one outstanding ball your side put into the box last night resulted in a well taken goal?

The only time you looked like scoring was when you crossed well, if I remember rightly, Arbeloa, Aurelio and Babel put the crosses in. Surely Benitez will react to this?

dont ****ing hide behind that ****. you are entitled to an opinion, but when you make **** up just to get a rise out of people, its annoying.

your opinion that El Zahr was poor is WRONG

your opinion that he played on the left is WRONG

your opinion that he cant dribble is WRONG

your opinion that there was any doubt in regards to the penalty is WRONG

your opinion that Skrtl just hoofed the ball all game is WRONG.

so many things you think are just so blatantly wrong thats its impossible to think of you as doing anything other than trying to get a reaction.

which unfortunately, i have given you

My last opinion will be this, do you Liverpool fans think that Benitez will now realise he needs a few decent wingers since the one outstanding ball your side put into the box last night resulted in a well taken goal?

The only time you looked like scoring was when you crossed well, if I remember rightly, Arbeloa, Aurelio and Babel put the crosses in. Surely Benitez will react to this?

Check my post above and you'll see just how stupid your opinion is!! cant even get players names right!!

I agree with you about Benitez noticing the need for wingers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

kida wrote: »
    He was disgraceful in suggesting that the reason that pool did not give the ball back to Liege was that the guy had dived when it was obvious he was injured. It was sad to see sportmanship go aout the window.

It is very dificult in today's game in deciphering when someone is injured. How many times have we seen good moves started but then to have to kick the ball out for a player who is not really injured but wasting time? It's a sad situation but there would be a lot more room for sportmanship if there wasn't so much gamesmanship rampant in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

But that wasn't one of these mythical "wingers" crosses, Babel didn't go down the outside of his man and whip the ball in from the end-line with his left foot . He cut back inside as he always does and then delivered it.

Why do you reckon that I am sh't stirring just because my opinion differs to yours?

I could report you for insinuating that I am using a second account but I wont, I see that you are a newbie and will let it slide.

I agree with your point, Skrtl and his marker, the lad with the mad hair, were as bad as each other in the fouling department.

Stop being so anal.. I added a smiley to this comment because it was a joke.. And don't try and be condescending because you've been using Boards for longer than i have. I makes you seem petty.

No i reckoned you were shit stirring cause out of all the bad performances you picked out 2 of the better performers, you argued against what surely was a stone wall peno(maybe i'm wrong on this one, but everyone i taked to about it said peno), and you suggested that El Zhar was playing on the left when he spent his whole time on the right wing.

dont ****ing hide behind that ****. you are entitled to an opinion, but when you make **** up just to get a rise out of people, its annoying.

your opinion that El Zahr was poor is WRONG

your opinion that he played on the left is WRONG

your opinion that he cant dribble is WRONG

your opinion that there was any doubt in regards to the penalty is WRONG

your opinion that Skrtl just hoofed the ball all game is WRONG.

so many things you think are just so blatantly wrong thats its impossible to think of you as doing anything other than trying to get a reaction.

which unfortunately, i have given you

But my opinions are WRONG in your opinion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Only saw end of match and extra time, and Keane had already been taken off. How did he play? Anyone think he might turn into a Bellamy/Crouch no goals for first 8 to 10 games job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    It is very dificult in today's game in deciphering when someone is injured. How many times have we seen good moves started but then to have to kick the ball out for a player who is not really injured but wasting time? It's a sad situation but there would be a lot more room for sportmanship if there wasn't so much gamesmanship rampant in the game.

stop trying to justify it FFS - if a player is injured and the ball is put out by their team you give it back to them end of story.

Stop being so anal.. I added a smiley to this comment because it was a joke.. And don't try and be condescending because you've been using Boards for longer than i have. I makes you seem petty.

What the hell has anal got to do with anything, are you sick in the head?
    No i reckoned you were shit stirring cause out of all the bad performances you picked out 2 of the better performers, you argued against what surely was a stone wall peno(maybe i'm wrong on this one, but everyone i taked to about it said peno), and you suggested that El Zhar was playing on the left when he spent his whole time on the right wing.

I should have recorded the match so I could YouTube a clip of El Zhar getting dispossessed on the halfway line, on the opposite side of the pitch to the camera whilst running with the ball toward the Kop. I assume that's the left hand side of the pitch where yourself and Alan live?

At that moment, I turned to the person I was watching the game with and said "That chap will amount to nothing at Liverpool". That's how I remember, because he is a Liverpool fan and he started whinging about how El Zhar was great too.

Only saw end of match and extra time, and Keane had already been taken off. How did he play? Anyone think he might turn into a Bellamy/Crouch no goals for first 8 to 10 games job?

Keane is always a slow starter, look at his stats for his career. If he is going to do well at Liverpool it's his link up play with Torres that I would expect to blossom first, he usually scores most of his goals from January to May.

But my opinions are WRONG in your opinion :D

No. Thats bollox.

I could say "in my opinion Utd didnt win the league last year"...

i am not entitled to say that without being ridiculed for making **** up.

its a similar situation with the ****e you've spouted

No. Thats bollox.

I could say "in my opinion Utd didnt win the league last year"...

i am not entitled to say that without being ridiculed for making **** up.

its a similar situation with the ****e you've spouted

It's not similar at all, since you would be stating a completely incorrect piece of information in relation to a FACT. You should get out the dictionary and look up the word OPINION.

stop trying to justify it FFS - if a player is injured and the ball is put out by their team you give it back to them end of story.

Oh great! We got the ball back! That will totally make up for the great move that was started but cut short due to someone being "injured". Somehow I think if the shoe was on the other foot you'd be f'ing and blinding.

You cannot dismiss that gamesmanship is rampant in this sport, and I cannot blame some players for being cynical.

• Advertisement

Draupnir, it is a fact that it was a penalty last night.
    also a fact that El Zhar played as a right winger for his time on the pitch.
    also a fact that Skrtel didnt hoof the ball out everytime got it.

these things are as factual as the example i quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I should have recorded the match so I could YouTube a clip of El Zhar getting dispossessed on the halfway line, on the opposite side of the pitch to the camera whilst running with the ball toward the Kop. I assume that's the left hand side of the pitch where yourself and Alan live?

At that moment, I turned to the person I was watching the game with and said "That chap will amount to nothing at Liverpool". That's how I remember, because he is a Liverpool fan and he started whinging about how El Zhar was great too.

He might have been on that side of the pitch for that incident but he played on the right and Babel was on the left.

And it was a definite penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Oh great! We got the ball back! That will totally make up for the great move that was started but cut short due to someone being "injured". Somehow I think if the shoe was on the other foot you'd be f'ing and blinding.

You cannot dismiss that gamesmanship is rampant in this sport, and I cannot blame some players for being cynical.

mute point - it is the understanded norm that if a team puts the ball out of play they are given the ball back. I am not talking about a situation where you put the ball of play for an opoosition player. This has nothing to do with gamesmanship - Liverpool were unporting in their behavior end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Draupnir, it is a fact that it was a penalty last night.

No that would be opinion, particularly the Referees, who didn't think so. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Two match threads in a row that have generated a slew of posts.

Yes we are playing rubbish. Yes the formation at the moment is not ideal. Yes Masch is yet to return. And yes the transfer window has not yet closed.

How people see fit to draw conclusions on how our season will pan out after four competitive matches have been completed is beyond me. We are in the hat for the CL draw tomorrow and have banked the 10m squid - and we somehow have maximum points in the premiership for our first two games. FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER UNDER BENITEZ.

As such, things remain as they were before we kicked a ball in anger. We are still a slightly outside shout for the league and will be a draw no - one really wants in Europe.

As for the match itself, Liege worked their socks off and were extremely organized and robust in defense. They forced a couple of great saves from Reina in the first half and plenty of corners in the 2nd / extra time. They can also claim to have shaded the first leg in Belgium.

HOWEVER, we did have the ball for the majority of the game (by a significant margin) and looked more likely to score from 60 mins on. Liege, like Boro at the weekend, can feel hard done by - but it wasn't as if us getting over the line was a travesty of unimaginable proportions!!

A win is a win is a win is a win.

Excellent post. Nice to see someone with some sense instead of the tabloid type jump to conclusion posts that appear after each Liverpool game. Rafa will be judged after the seasons over not after 4 games

• Advertisement

no boggles. it was definate.

ref just made a mistake is all.

mute point - it is the understanded norm that if a team puts the ball out of play they are given the ball back. I am not talking about a situation where you put the ball of play for an opoosition player. This has nothing to do with gamesmanship - Liverpool were unporting in their behavior end of story.

Mute point because you say so? I don't think so. Listen, getting the ball back is only a consolation for what are at times fantastic chances to create a scoring chance. Liverpool were unsporting? Yes they were but how many teams are unsporting when clearly they dive and feign injury to get the ball put out of play, and are then miracalously up on their feet once the ball is out?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The only fact is that the referee did not give a penalty. The rest is opinion, no matter how vehemently anyone insists otherwise.

Thought El Zhar made a meal of it which probably made the referee not give it.

Oh and Liverpool were fully entitled not to give the ball back. Liege were taking the piss with time wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What the hell is a mute point?

The only fact is that the referee did not give a penalty. The rest is opinion, no matter how vehemently anyone insists otherwise.

Oh and Liverpool were fully entitled not to give the ball back. Liege were taking the piss with time wasting.

Thank you. Sportsmanship is worth nothing if the other team are blatantly taking part in underhand tactics.

Your right. It's all opinion and if you think El Zhar made a meal of it that's your opinion. In my opinion he didnt and it was a stonewall peno. Ref bottled it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thank you. Sportsmanship is worth nothing if the other team are blatantly taking part in underhand tactics.

Boo bleedin' hoo. As if Liverpool have never engaged in such tactics.

Des wrote: »
    Boo bleedin' hoo. As if Liverpool have never engaged in such tactics.

Who says that they haven't? My problem was with kida whinging that Liverpool lacked sportsmanship. My response was that in this day and age where gamesmanship is rampant it is quite difficult to show sportsmanship. It's sad, but it's reality.

El Zahr making a meal of it is irrelevant, the FACT is he was fouled in the box.

therefore-penalty.

Maradonna handled the ball against England, although the ref didnt deem it a foul, doesnt take away from the FACT that he handballed it though!

Prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

zAbbo wrote: »

Its moot points dumb cousin :pac:

Mike.

Heard that the Standard leige manager refused to shake Rafa's hand after the game...What a classy guy. Enjoy the uefa cup lad :)

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Enjoy the uefa cup lad :)

It is said that one should be gracious in defeat. Untrue. It is far more important to be gracious in victory

Prove it.

no problem, replays clearly showed the defenders leg coming in and making contact with Nabils leg long after the ball had gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This ain't the Thunderdome!!

It's not that your opinions differ, as you well know. It's that they are so clueless and ridiculous that you are either thick or you are just sh!tstirring. I'm sure you're an intelligent chap and with your pointless jibes at IBH being a newbie and Mr Alan editing his post, i'll opt for the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It is said that one should be gracious in defeat. Untrue. It is far more important to be gracious in victory
    Wrong. It is easy to be gracious in victory. Being gracious in defeat is much more challenging. Man should always endeavour to take on life's greater challenges.

Thats why Pighead has a grudging respect for the Liverpool supporters. They challenge themselves season after season.

Pighead wrote: »
    Wrong. It is easy to be gracious in victory. Being gracious in defeat is much more challenging. Man should always endeavour to take on life's greater challenges.

Thats why Pighead has a grudging respect for the Liverpool supporters. They challenge themselves season after season.

LZ5by5 thinks your hilarious Pighead.:rolleyes::D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is in no way true, there is 0% chance that Liverpool will win the league this year, unless it's a league for having the most central midfielders playing at once all standing in the opposition box tripping each other up.

That seems wrong to me. By saying that, you are suggesting that if we were to run this EPL season ad infinium with the current rosters, resources and fixture lists Liverpool would NEVER finish in first place. I don't buy that for one second. At some point, we'd get every bounce; avoid all injuries and suspensions - while Chelsea and Utd get wracked by poor luck all year round. I think you can make strong statements like that about the likes of Hull, Sunderland, Blackburn - maybe most teams outside the top four infact. But I firmly believe Arsenal and Liverpool have some non zero percentage chance of winning the league this year (even if they are minute chances).

To put it another way, I think if I could get Liverpool at 20 / 1 for the premiership right now I'd lump a few quid on. Though I wouldn't take them at less.
    zAbbo wrote: »

It's a moo point. Like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That seems wrong to me. By saying that, you are suggesting that if we were to run this EPL season ad infinium with the current rosters, resources and fixture lists Liverpool would NEVER finish in first place. I don't buy that for one second. At some point, we'd get every bounce; avoid all injuries and suspensions - while Chelsea and Utd get wracked by poor luck all year round. I think you can make strong statements like that about the likes of Hull, Sunderland, Blackburn - maybe most teams outside the top four infact. But I firmly believe Arsenal and Liverpool have some non zero percentage chance of winning the league this year (even if they are minute chances).

QUOTE]

Please don't encourage him..:eek:
    I couldn't cope with the rubbish that was being spouted earlier so i ended up just avoiding this thread until now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Please don't encourage him..:eek:

Well he can be encouraged or discouraged - or claim that it is "his opinion". Doesn't bother me when I know some of his posts are fundamentally illogical and incorrect. :)

Advertisement