Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milka bar made me violently sick

Options
  • 26-08-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently coming home from portugal, I stopped into the duty free and bought a milka choclate bar (biscuit variety). I had it 2 days after I came home (it was the large bars so I only ate 1/3 or so). I thought it felt weird as I was breaking the choclate into pieces but thought nothing futher of it.

That night I was up for 8 hours getting violently sick, it was horrible. So the next day I had a close look at the choclate in the biscuit bar, it seemed to have a much darker color than normal (indicating incorrectly made/sealed?) I had bought a normal milka bar too so I compared it, and definatly it was several shades darker and much more thick to break.

The company who owns Milka (Kraft Foods LTD) have a dublin office, I have got the contact information for them, just wondering what my rights are in the matter and if it is Kraft Foods LTD that are accountable? I presume it's them as I could find no other info on the milka bar site but only the kraft logo with a link to their site.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Deaddude wrote: »
    I had it 2 days after I came home ...

That night I was up for 8 hours getting violently sick, it was horrible. So the next day I had a close look at the choclate in the biscuit bar, it seemed to have a much darker color than normal (indicating incorrectly made/sealed?)
    ...incorrectly stored?

I had bought a normal milka bar too so I compared it, and definatly it was several shades darker and much more thick to break.
    I don't know whether the bars are made in the same place. If you bought a bar made in Ireland or England, the chocolate would taste and look different... just something worth checking before you storm their office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I've bought milka bars in portugal before and they have tasted normal and have not had the same consistancy as this one, it was obviously a bad batch, nonetheless I feel their responsible.

Milka bars are imported to Ireland anyway I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

I've bought milka bars in portugal before and they have tasted normal and have not had the same consistancy as this one, it was obviously a bad batch, nonetheless I feel their responsible.

Milka bars are imported to Ireland anyway I think...

Pretty sure your sample size is a little small to assume the bolded part

Whatever the case, I've had milka bars before, I've had them from Portugal before, and I've even bought them from that same duty free shop before and they have never tasted like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

...and they have never tasted like that

And yet you still ate it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

G'sss give the guy a break. From what we know he bought a milka bar and it wasn't 100%. He only ate 1/3 of it. We can't always tell if something is gone off straight away.

Rang the Kraft foods helpline and was reimbursed for the ammount I purchased and given some free, should be coming in the post in the next week apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

make sure to check the colour before digging in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Rang the Kraft foods helpline and was reimbursed for the ammount I purchased and given some free, should be coming in the post in the next week apparently

If I was getting sick for hours id think that offer wasn't worth the effort of the phonecall. Actually I probably wouldn't fancy the thoughts of eating the free bar either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

while it probabally was the chocolate, theres no way to prove that it was food poisoning and not a bug, or in fact that it was the bar and not something else that made the OP sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: if you still have the bar of chocolate then you should contact the health safety authority. I'm sure they can test the bar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This is usually the procedure for food poisoning cases:

Might be a bit late now, but you should go to your GP. Give them a stool sample and make sure they send it to the lab for testing. If there's anything up with the stool sample the case will be reported to the area medical officer and they'll take it from there. Ya sould probably bring the remaining chocolate along too.

I *think*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

axer wrote: »
    OP: if you still have the bar of chocolate then you should contact the health safety authority. I'm sure they can test the bar.

Why would he contact the Health & Safety authority? The bar didnt fall on his head in the workplace or something. The Food Safety Authority are in charge of food safety, hence the name :rolleyes:

Dregin's advice is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well done to Kraft for offering you some compensation. There is no guarantee yet that the chocolate caused your upset stomach (it can take a fair amount of time between ingestion and symptoms) but they still treated you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Why would he contact the Health & Safety authority? The bar didnt fall on his head in the workplace or something. The Food Safety Authority are in charge of food safety, hence the name :rolleyes:
    Sorry I meant the food safety authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

OP...did you keep the packaging?
    If you buy any food stuff..and it doesnt look "right"..keep the packaging. It contains all the information required by the company to find out if there was indeed any issues with the batch. they can re-llok at their production records and determine if there was any non-conforming issues.

Im sure you will find that chocolate destined for Portugal would be slightly different from choc intended for consumption in Ireland,so that may explain the difference in texture.

Yes had the package, he was able to get all the details from it and logged an issue with it.

I have purchased this type of choclate in portugal many times before and not had this issue, will let you know what happens regard the rembursement(sp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

dregin wrote: »
    This is usually the procedure for food poisoning cases:

Might be a bit late now, but you should go to your GP. Give them a stool sample and make sure they send it to the lab for testing. If there's anything up with the stool sample the case will be reported to the area medical officer and they'll take it from there. Ya sould probably bring the remaining chocolate along too.

I *think*.

just don't get the two mixed up! :eek:

Advertisement