Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packed lunch suggestions

• 26-08-2008 1:53pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

In order to economise I’ve decided to start making my own lunch and bringing it into work with me. Trouble is I have zero culinary talent or imagination and I’m going to run out of ideas fast. Ideally I’m looking for tasty suggestions that aren’t too difficult or time consuming to prepare, use versatile ingredients that can be re-used in other stuff, are reasonably healthy (and have plenty of protein), and are suitable for leaving in tupperware in the fridge for a couple of hours (ie sandwiches that won’t go all soggy).

Yesterday morning I made sandwiches with brown bread, ham, chicken breast (cooked the night before), coleslaw, reduced fat cheese and lettuce. Today I re-used most of the same ingredients except I replaced the chicken with boiled eggs (cooked the night before also) and sliced tomato. To avoid getting bored of the same thing (which will happen very quickly without any help!), I think I’ll make a tuna salad for tomorrow (heavy on the tuna, easy on the salad!). After that I’m back into tuna or ham & chicken sandwich territory so recommendations pleeeease!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Boil some pasta shapes until almost soft, rinse in cold water. Stir in a dollop of pesto and a splash of olive oil, then add anything you like - diced peppers, tomates, scallions or onions etc. You can add tuna, chicken or ham when you're about to eat it.
    10 minutes to boil the pasta, cut everyhthing else up in the meantime, and 5 minutes tops to cool pasta and mix :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I had cold mini-meatloafs (cooked in muffin tin - 20 mins) and potato salad for my lunch today. prep, cooked, and into lunch box in 30 mins last night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about some Tabbouleh/couscous ?
    Easy to chop some tomato,cucumber,corn, peas etc and add a little olive oil and some vinegar.
    I would have this with some cold salmon or smoked fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Quiche - I made individual ones over the weekend using a muffin tray, they can be eaten hot or cold and they can be made in bulk and frozen.

Maybe pasta/rice/noodles cooked with the meat or veg of your choice?

Bagels/wraps/pittas instead of sandwiches?

Home-made soup with brown bread or rolls...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I put my sliced pan in the freezer and just use as much as I want every day (otherwise I'd be chucking loads of it out) When it defrosts it's as fresh as the day you put it in :)

And then I put my 'wet' stuff - tomatoes etc in a small tub, so at lunch I construct my sambo with the DRY defrosted bread. I just usually have ham/chicken/turkey with salad. Nothing too adventerous - just to fill the gap really! I leave my mayo in the fridge at work, so I don't have to worry about leaving it in the car or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Pitta bread with lettuce, feta cheese, hummus, cucumber and falafel (you can get them in the fridge section or make your own). Toast the pitta bread and let it cool before putting it in your lunch box, otherwise it'll go soggy.

Or how about a good rice salad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've recently cut back on wheat so have had to get more imaginative with lunches. Here's what I've been having recently. We have a microwave and fridge I can keep food in which makes things easier.

Baked potatoes with sour cream and cheese. Just prick the potatoes and cook in the microwave for 4 minutes for small ones. Then a dollop of sour cream and a sprinklin of cheese. I had a small salad with vinaigrette with it and it was delicious (I put the vinagraitte in a smal tub and put it on the salad just before I ate it)

I roasted potatoes, carrots and kumara (NZ sweet potatoe) in olive oil and herbs and then brought them to work in a lunch box the next day.

Salad with chicken, blue cheese, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and blue cheese dressing (mm, blue cheese!)

Gluten free pitta with a mix of lettuce, cheese, seeds and nuts and mayo.

As mentioned above, falafels in pitta. We have a sandwich toaster at work which is good for cooking the ready made falafel mix.

Hummous and cheese is quite nice too if you wanted to make that in a roll.

Also, if I ever make dinner that can be kept e.g. pasta, shepherd's pie or anything really I make extra for mine and my OH's lunch.

I rarely buy lunch out and it really has saved me a fortune!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off to Tesco!

Advertisement