Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biblical rebuttals

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

robindch wrote: »
    A strange thing to say for somebody who spends his life trying to make other people believe the same things he does :)

Humm... with one word you make it all sound so David Koreshish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

PDN wrote: »
    Aw that's cute - and your board appears to have found a poster to rival JC. Kudos all round. :)

Nah, to reach that level of retardation would take something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Charco wrote: »
    Would 42 children easily fight off a grizzly bear that charges at them?

Wow, this thread sure has flourished in my two day absence. C'mon guys you knew I liked bears.. Way to have all the fun without me!

That Bible passage instantly reminded me of this:

PBF046-Bear_Police.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

with one word you make it all sound so David Koreshish.
    I don't follow you. It's the job of all preachers, to a greater or lesser extent, is to make their audience think the same things as he, or at least, to make them believe they do.

I don't quite see how this gets us to Waco...!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Er, so you think that his belief that it's ok for kids to be killed doesn't influence his outlook?

While I agree that its an abhorrent notion that anyone, even an almighty God, can be justified in slaughtering children, in a technical sense he is just saying that only God is allowed, so for all practical purposes it shouldn't affect his own behaviour, unless some day he finds himself believing he's God.

Of course, he could end up doing things in the name of God, as we've seen with crusaders, conquistadors and inquisitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I don't follow you. It's the job of all preachers, to a greater or lesser extent, is to make their audience think the same things as he, or at least, to make them believe they do.

I don't quite see how this gets us to Waco...!

No, the job of preachers is to illuminate the word of God in order that the listener would be spurred into applying the word into their lives on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No, the job of preachers is to illuminate the word of God in order that the listener would be spurred into applying the word into their lives on a daily basis.

You don't really think this is anything more than a superficially nicer iteration, right?

Zillah wrote: »
    in a technical sense he is just saying that only God is allowed,
    Not so much in a 'technical' sense, but in an 'actual' sense, since that's what he's actually saying :)

But that's exactly my point, since the poster is choosing to support or reject certain behaviors based only upon the who the actor or motivator is, and ignoring the action that's carried out, and the reason for it. That's the kind of sloppy "moral relativism" that many religious people clamour so much about.

I should add that the original post, the poster's greatest concern seems to be for the mental health of the murderers, and not for the murdered kids. I suspect I'm going out on a limb here (or at least a mod-edit), but frankly, that kind of judgment seems non-empathetic to the point of autism.
    Zillah wrote: »
    so for all practical purposes it shouldn't affect his own behaviour, unless some day he finds himself believing he's God. [...] Of course, he could end up doing things in the name of God
    Well, as you say, there's a long history of people doing frightful things either thinking they were god (David Koresh, Jim Jones, etc) or were acting on god's behalf (innumerable). A little bit of "oi, you, stop where you are" from the pulpit might help to damp some of this fanatacism.

the job of preachers is to illuminate the word of God in order that the listener would be spurred into applying the word into their lives on a daily basis.
    As Zillah points out, they do this by getting the listeners to believe what the preachers believe. Simple memetic transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

What about the Midian thing as an example of the bible at its worst

"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." (Numbers 31:16-18)

How can anyone justify it as the actions of a loving God, or a people or book inspired by God

• Advertisement
Advertisement