Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BOD Steps Down As Leinster Captain!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

According to Rugby World .Com, BOD has stepped down as Leinster Captain, with Leo Cullen taking over.

But there has been no mention of him stepping down as Ireland captain...

What you think???

http://www.rugbyworld.com/Story/0,18830,3551_4051713,00.html
    Fair play BOD. It's a very honourable thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think its a clear sign he wont be Ireland Captain

I think its a good move and let him concentrate on playing

I also prefer a forward as captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Could you please edit the thread so its no in all Caps its sore to the eyes =/

Very brave from BOD and i really praise him for doing such a thing it takes alot of guts to do something like this. But you have to say that when he spent most of the season out of form and out injured you have to draw the line somewhere. Lets hope now with this pressure of him he can get back to his old game and lets say good luck to Cullen im sure he'll do a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Abercrombie Dud

Stev_o wrote: »
    Could you please edit the thread so its no in all Caps its sore to the eyes =/

Rit so boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

From breakingnews.ie
    The player himself, however, says he wants to continue on as international captain, but says he is currently focusing on getting back into top form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

A good and timely move on BOD's part...hopefully he can recover some form and concentrate on his own game...no way he'll continue with the Irish Captaincy after this....he'll always be an inspirational player to those around him anyhow, captain's armband or no....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Fantastic news!

Let him concentrate on playing. Hopefully it will add a couple of years to his career because we're going to need him.

Both for Leinster and Ireland.

I wonder how much of this is on his part though. I know he was Irish captain before he was the Leinster captain, but if he wants to remain as the Irish captain, his position must be weakened by not being the Leinster captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Am I missing something here - what's brave or honourable about stepping down from the captains role, I think it's a good thing for the captain to change every so often?
    How many games was he involved in last year for Leinster, Leo was the real captain for Leinster last year and this should have been recognised when Leinster won the ML?
    Was this encouraged by Cheika or was it a decision made by himself, will this be taken into account when Kidney decides on the Irish Captain?

Sorry, should have added hope this helps him get back to the form he is well capable off, good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

This is big news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Delighted - not in a bad way I just think Leinster & Ireland can finally have back the world class centre. Always said too much weight was laid on his shoulders, lets hope this is what he needs to relive moments like these:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone else think this might be a prelude to him leaving Leinster next year? The Aussie teams will be allowed to play NH players then and its well known that BOD would be high up on their list. If he was captain then it would be seen as a bad move letting his teammates down, but if he's just another player its not as "disloyal"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Zzippy wrote: »
    Anyone else think this might be a prelude to him leaving Leinster next year?

Funny, but that was my first thought. Personally I hope BOD does have a successful stint abroad with another club, a Toulouse or a Wasps perhaps..Just hope he hasn't left it too late. Know its complete pie-in-the-sky but always thought he'd have been an absolute revelation in rugby league...I know he's a great fan of the game, particularly NRL...who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Zzippy wrote: »
    Anyone else think this might be a prelude to him leaving Leinster next year? The Aussie teams will be allowed to play NH players then and its well known that BOD would be high up on their list. If he was captain then it would be seen as a bad move letting his teammates down, but if he's just another player its not as "disloyal"?

I don't know where the SH teams would find the money to pay someone like him. His wages are still amongst the highest in the world - and when you consider that the SH players are leaving in their droves to take up big money offers in Europe, I can't see him making the move there.
    Not sure if he'd be too keen on the basketball style rugby they serve up in the S14 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

tax wise he needs to work/play in ireland in his final year as a professional to re-coup tax paid in his 5 highest earning years as a professional..

i'd say the main move he'll be making over the next 2 years is from 2nd to inside centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

Doesn't O'Driscoll's contract with the IRFU run until the next world cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yup. But that's not to say he can't move.

I've a feeling that he's going to have a great season this season for both club and country. When you think about it, he was probably our best player at the 2007 world cup and then he had injury after injury and played less than a handful of games since, and people spout "he's lost it" when he hasn't had a fair run at things since then.

I saw glimpses of his brilliance even when he came back at the end of last season and I think he's gonna do just fine.

I hope he never leaves, but if he does I'd say it would be to France. (He's also a god in southern hempisphere, so if he went there endorsement money alone could more than make up his wages - he's to them what David Beckham is to Asia!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Well regardless of what BOD decides he deserves success whichever decision he makes. To be honest guys, I think O'Sullivan fuvked up bad by not taking the pressure off him during the World Cup and giving the captaincy to someone else. This was pressure he didn't need. The one thing about him that worries me is that friggin hamstring of his, even in the last game against the Aussies!!

If a captain is very adamant he doesn't want to step down, then taking the captaincy off him could be just as detrimental.

Advertisement