Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Bin charge and alternatives

Options
  • 26-08-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in the Fingal area and have received a letter to pay €60 before the end of August and a €110 euro charge for next year. I live on my own and the black bin would only be full every 4-5 weeks. Would anyone hav suggestions as to the most economically advantageous company to use or the council to arrange my waste collection with. I hear Greenstar and a few other private companies (don't know there name) do this.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

i put my bin out on average every 2/3 months.
    There is two of us in the house. I found that Fingal was the best to stay with as the likes of Panda you have to pay €30/40 a month regardless if you put the bin out or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    I live on my own and the black bin would only be full every 4-5 weeks
    There's 3 of us and the bin only goes out every 10 weeks. Are you recycling what you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yes,

But i will still need to pay the charge to have my green bin collected according to the letter

I haven't got that bill yet but perhaps that's because we still have to get the brown bin.

I'd be reluctant to change fron FCC because I think it's unfair that people change but safe in the knowledge that FCC are there should it not work out.

If one were to assume that there is no going back, I don't think people would be so critical of the council and so eager to change. Waht happens if the private operator goes to the wall?

I presume that the private operators will only serve an area if there are enough customers there. They are hardly going to go to a rural Fingal village to pick up a couple of bins so it's a form of cherry picking which the council can't do.

Just my 2c worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Might agree with you if Fingal had played things straight. But as they have gone back on their commitment, given at the time of the introduction of the bin tags, not to introduce a fixed charge I will not be extending them any sympathy.

• Advertisement

SeaSide wrote: »
    they have gone back on their commitment, given at the time of the introduction of the bin tags, not to introduce a fixed charge
    Yes, I totally agree - the tag per bin charge was a huge incentive which they have now eroded to an extent.

I'd still prefer to stick with the council and AFAIK it will work out cheaper anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I did the same. The black bin would only go out once every six weeks.

One other point and I think that its worth a sticky is that Fingal will collect bulky items if you ask (and pay) them to. We replaced our old sofa and chairs and got them collected by Fingal for €40

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

I dont mind paying the extra charge for the new bins, my problem is that they rarely empty grass fully from my brown bin. Sometimes I find it is left half full. I have had to call them back to empty my bin on four occasions since the service started. Anyone else have that problem?

alkev wrote: »
    I dont mind paying the extra charge for the new bins, my problem is that they rarely empty grass fully from my brown bin. Sometimes I find it is left half full. I have had to call them back to empty my bin on four occasions since the service started. Anyone else have that problem?
    Spread oil or grease on the interior of the bin. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Spread oil or grease on the interior of the bin. ;)

Thanks for the tip wishbone ash, I'll try that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

alkev wrote: »
    i had this problem as well,the council told me grass should not be put in the bin unless its in paper bags or newspaper to stop it sweating and sticking in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Don't think that brown bin is such a good idea. Have same problem with it not been fully emptied so left with the smell of 6 month old decomposing meat.
    Hard to go near it unless youve got a gas mask handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

We got a bill for €40 a couple of weeks ago to cover the rest of the year. Some council areas got billed for the full wack and will be billed again in january so we arnt to bad here.
    As for a smelly brown bin, if you rap your food stuff in paper first before sticking it the bin then it shouldnt smell. I half filled mine with grass and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

what,you put the waste in the bin loose,jaysus i wouldnt do that,the smell must be awful.anyway,i dont think meats are allowed in the brown bin,maybe im wrong.

Advertisement