Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy I-VI

Options
  • 26-08-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Most people never knew the Final Fantasy series existed, let alone played the games before Final Fantasy 7. The only threads I've seen here are of Final Fantasy 7 and the the games succeeding it. Ever play the first six FF games? Am I the only one who thought FF7 was slow, broken, and just not that great?

I've played the first 6 games over the years, and I must say, Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6 especially are at the top of the best of the series. Lets get some retro traditional FF discussions going.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retrogamer??? that you???

ah no, i did like the earlier ones, 6 in particular i thought was incredible but i still get that lil buzz of excitment i got from the first time i played 7. thats why it'll always be my favourite.

But yes i can hand on heart say i thought 6 was ten times better and more fun than 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I only played 6...so far. Once i got past the old graphics it was a really enjoyable game. Think if i could see the characters better it would help in getting to know their personalities better. Shadow was my fav of course, glad i didnt lose him at the floating continent!!! Also had him using the 2 weapon glove and something that made you hit 4 times per turn making it 8 hits per turn...was pretty sweet ^^

I got a good 40 or 50hrs out of that game...which was alot for a snes game id think.

Ive heard 1 and 2 aren't that great but 4 and 5 im thinking of giving a go in the next few months...maybe after 13 if it manages to be released this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You won't be seeing 13 this year I'm afraid. I doubt it will reach Japan in 2008 and there will be the 6-9 month wait for a western release.

I've played all the FF games. while I think FFVII is very much overrated it still is a great game. However I'd take FFVI over it any day. Better and more characters, better soundtrack and a stroyline that didn't die on it's arse halfway through and turn into nonsense. Also the materia and battle system were really very simplistic with little in the way of tactics needed beyondusing the right element for more damage. That twist halfway through FFVI was wonderful and the ending was uplifting if very bleak
    watching the characters walk off victorious after defeating Kefka but knowing they would still have to rebuild their ruined world
    . The non-linear second act is probably my favourite bit of FF gameplay.

FF1 is very old school and has aged badly. There's a bit too much grinding involved.

FF2 is a an absolute broken mess. Nigh on unplayable, I've never been able to get too far in it which is a shame since the story doesn't seem too bad.

FF3 is good but very dated. the job system is good but handled much better in FFIV.

FF4, now we are talking. This is when the series became brilliant. Decent if dated story, but loads of fun to play. Really liked this one.

FF5 had a very dated storyline but the job system was amazing. Combining different jobs and exploiting the combination of skills was loads of fun. Up there with FFX for best battle system.

I think my love for the under appreciated FFIX comes from my love for theolder games. It really was alove note to the old style FF games and gets unfairly dismissed by the less mature FF fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Played FFVI recently. Must admit it was great (and would have been amazing if i had actually played it ten years ago!!)

Am thinking of playing 4,5 on the ds when they eventually come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clirion

I've FF1/2 on psp, played em a few months ago.

FF1...you -need- a guide, dont mean to be funny or anything but they dont tell you anything, at all. Your just kinda expected to know things and the storyline is fair bollocks
    At the end of the game..your faced at a loop in history, where Garland brings back the fiends, and the fiends bring garland back to the past and all that bs, but how..ugh just terrible

FF2, leveling system is very bad, and can be highly taken advantage of, easy to level individual skills ya want to. Story line wasnt so terrible although i didnt think the last boss should have been the last boss, wasnt evil enough.

FF3, all i can say is...new mode of transport every 5min lol, twas hailourous, every few min you'd lose an airship, i swear i think i went thru 3 airships by the end of the game. Really annoyed tho, because the game is very easy up until the last boss, where there are no save points between one huge ass dungeon and then another huge dungeon with last boss(never actually beat him cuz game went lost ;;)

FF4-6, havent played them in forever, hoping to get FF4 on DS and FF5 was so so. I'd love to see FF6 redone tho, twas fair brilliant game...Kefka's laugh will live in my memory forever and ever!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

clirion wrote: »
    FF2, leveling system is very bad, and can be highly taken advantage of, easy to level individual skills ya want to. Story line wasnt so terrible although i didnt think the last boss should have been the last boss, wasnt evil enough.

Did they leave in the exploit you could use were you level up by selecting the attack command but don't attack? It was the same with other attacks and you level up HP by hitting yourselves :) I know the PS1 remake left it in because the game was nearly impossible to level up in if you playedit properly. You could even level down in it which was a complete pain in the swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I was playing FF6 for a while, but in my incompetence and impatience a few hours in I quit trying to reach Kefka in one of those three way group battles. :P

I'll probably have a go again once I've finished with the new DS FF games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clirion

Yup thats what i did at parts, spent ages just attacking myself lol, dunno about the leveling down part but yea... twas..."different"

sitting here playing FF10...just dodged 200 bolts('ll see them in my dreams) and i was so suprised with myself, i got the 0:00 time in an hour and a half (last time i played i couldnt beat the particular so and so)

How the hell am i going to get wakka's ultimate weapon tho? ;x i only played one blitzball match this game lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

i hadnt played any of the pre-FF7 before i got FF3 and 6 for my DS.

didnt like FF 3 but FF6 was quite impressive even though the 2D took a bit of getting used to. i made it as far as the floating continent but my characters were'nt at a high enough level and the monsters there kept thrashing me so i had to give up on it. :(

havent re started the game yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

Decided to play them through in order. Finished 1 and 2 on the PSP and am halfway though 3 on the DS......

Still a few months away from getting near VII

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    However I'd take FFVI over it any day. Better and more characters, better soundtrack and a stroyline that didn't die on it's arse halfway through and turn into nonsense.
    Yeah FF6 was brilliant and I too would consider it to be a better game than FF7. Bought the overpriced U.S. snes version from Mr.Calculator back in the day. I think they charged me 80 pounds :eek:
    FF4, now we are talking. This is when the series became brilliant. Decent if dated story, but loads of fun to play. Really liked this one.
    Played this on the emulator and it was fun. I have the new DS remake and the new graphics are fantastic. Can't wait for the ff5 and ff6 remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

I,II and III and all terrible dated but IV is amazing, I nearly cried when I started my new game on the DS remake, the nostalgia! V was alright, was there a bug in the PS1 port though, because I stopped leveling at Lvl.38 for all characters (well, they all stopped at the same time, two were at 37) and I couldn't beat the final boss no matter how I tried!
    VI was the best game so far, simple as, have yet to see a game enchant me as it did (after the "twist") and Celes is still one of my favorite characters ever.
    General Leo RIP
    VIII was MILES better than IX and VII, sure VII was amazing when it came out but that's the only reason, storyline wise it was weak. I admit the Junction system was tricky for FF newbies but it was great once you got into it. Awesome story as well
    Squall went from Emo to Developed awful quick mind!

Have you still got your save game for V? The trick for FFV for the harder enemies and last boss is to use the squire class. It's the class you start as. You will get all the level up stat bonuses from every job you did and also have room for 4 job abilities. It's by far the best job in the game. You can beat the last boss easily on levels around 35. I know I did.

Squall went from emo to emo twat awful quick imo. Thought FFVIII was rather poor. Dreadful story and battle system (Draw: Ugh :P!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have you still got your save game for V? The trick for FFV for the harder enemies and last boss is to use the squire class. It's the class you start as. You will get all the level up stat bonuses from every job you did and also have room for 4 job abilities. It's by far the best job in the game. You can beat the last boss easily on levels around 35. I know I did.

Squall went from emo to emo twat awful quick imo. Thought FFVIII was rather poor. Dreadful story and battle system (Draw: Ugh :P!)
    Reckon it's on the PS1 memory card yeah! Yeah I know that but it's still hard at level 38! It was the whole dying in one hit bit I think that pissed me off. In any case, I have the GBA version which is more up to date so I'll give it another run.

//EDIT: FFVIII has the best soundtrack whatever you say :P

The soundtrack was good but I think FFVII, FFVI, FFIX and FFX edge it for me. It's hard to choose!

Advertisement