Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Questions and Confusions

Options
  • 26-08-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Hello all, seem to be posting a lot here lately, but very confused at the moment!
    So I've got a few questions that I hope you'll be able to answer a couple of my noobly woobly questions!

First off...DDR2/3...
    I'm making my first attempt to build a pc (purely for gaming), and I can't figure out, is the extra money for DDR3 worth it? Or should I just go for stand DDR2

Second question (this one's a little bit more specific) is about a motherboard.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22384&agid=1005
    I was considering getting this motherboard, but I'm curious as to what WIFI @N actually means...is the board ready to use wifi right after assembly, or does it mean that I still have to get a wifi adapter, but that it will perform better?

Final question.....running a Radeon HD4870, Intel E8500, 4GB ram, will 750W be sufficient? Also planning to Crossfire the card when it becomes necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I dont know this ins and outs of it but im going with ddr2 for my new comp the price difference is enough to entice me. Also i was told by someone that most games at the moment cant take advantage of the differences in ddr3 although im not sure how true that is.
    I did a bit of hunting around and that motherboard basically has a wireless card on it and comes with 2 antennas. So yes it is wifi equipped straight out of the box.
    Ive no idea if 750w is enough but this could probably help you there http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

crap double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Not much point in ddr3 atm as its still pretty expensive. As for the board like said above it comes with an antena. And as for the psu 750w is a little overkill 600w would be more then enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Kazuma wrote: »
    First off...DDR2/3...
    I'm making my first attempt to build a pc (purely for gaming), and I can't figure out, is the extra money for DDR3 worth it? Or should I just go for stand DDR2
    No and yes. DDR3 isn't there yet in terms of performance/price.
    Second question (this one's a little bit more specific) is about a motherboard.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22384&agid=1005
    I was considering getting this motherboard, but I'm curious as to what WIFI @N actually means...is the board ready to use wifi right after assembly, or does it mean that I still have to get a wifi adapter, but that it will perform better?
    It means that it has a wifi adapter onboard, so you won't need to buy one separately. The little brass thingie beside the audio out is a radio connector. An antenna (will be included in the box) will connect to this to provide your wifi.
    Final question.....running a Radeon HD4870, Intel E8500, 4GB ram, will 750W be sufficient? Also planning to Crossfire the card when it becomes necessary.
    750 will be quite sufficient unless you plan on running a crazy number of drives, or doing some MAJOR overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Thanks everyone for the very enlightening answers, pretty certain what I'm ordering now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement