Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WANTED Car for Charity Mongol Rally

Options
  • 26-08-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I am taking part in the 2009 London-Mongol Rally in Aid of the Christina Noble Foundation and Mercy Corps Intl.

The Mongol Rally is an annual event in which over 200 cars drive the 10,000miles from London to Mongolia to raise funds for their selected Charities.

www.mongolrally.com

http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/

Our team 'Vagabonds of the Eastern World' require a car. Something small (Micra, Golf, Punto size etc.), with a small engine (1.0l, 1.2l, 1.4l MAX) and hopefully reliable enough to get us there. MOT'd or NCT if possible. Car has to be 2000 or newer.

If anyone out there has something lying around or going cheap or they just want to get rid of it. Please get in contact with me.

Thanks, Colm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

no way i'd let a bunch of mongos have a car race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That looks brilliant, no rappers or media whores in Bentleys on that me's thinks:rolleyes:

You're not looking for another member:pac:

I'd say the kind of car best suited for that would be something like a Corolla or a Civic. In terms of reliability they're hard beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

am I missing something?

From the website:

Any car with more than 1000cc of umph is strictly forbidden as over-powered, and as a risk to your ability to have fun.

So you cannot choose anything over 1.0l

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

you can but you're fined £100 for every 100cc over the 1.0
    3. The 1 Litre Rule:

You can only use a car with an engine of 1 litre or less. If you want to go on a motorbike (ideally a scooter) they are limited to under 125cc. We're an amicable bunch though, so if you're desperate to use something bigger you can be accommodated, but you will be fined £100 for every 0.1 litre above the limit, payable straight to the charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

If I were you, I'd look at getting a Subaru Justy, the AWD system will really help with the lack of roads in Central Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Lauder wrote: »
    I am taking part in the 2009 London-Mongol Rally in Aid of the Christina Noble Foundation and Mercy Corps Intl.

The Mongol Rally is an annual event in which over 200 cars drive the 10,000miles from London to Mongolia to raise funds for their selected Charities.

www.mongolrally.com

http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/

Our team 'Vagabonds of the Eastern World' require a car. Something small (Micra, Golf, Punto size etc.), with a small engine (1.0l, 1.2l, 1.4l MAX) and hopefully reliable enough to get us there. MOT'd or NCT if possible. Car has to be 2000 or newer.

If anyone out there has something lying around or going cheap or they just want to get rid of it. Please get in contact with me.

Thanks, Colm

Colm that's very charitable of you to go on that trip of a lifetime for the benefit of charity! :D:pac:

I assume every penny raised goes straight to charity and not a penny is used for anything superfluous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

One of the lads from Octane is over on this year's run, they're currently resting up in Ulaan Bataar. Last year they took a Nissan Micra K10 over. This year they went in a 1.7l carburetted Lada Niva, as spares and mechanics would be easier to get.
    They've details on the trip at http://www.corkmongolia.com
    Some of the participants:
    2786797204_ce8a3ed85a.jpg

Best of luck sourcing the car, I'd be looking at the most basic car I could get my hands on, the less there is, the less there is to go wrong! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

2 Espressi wrote: »
    One of the lads from Octane is over on this year's run, they're currently resting up in Ulaan Bataar. Last year they took a Nissan Micra K10 over. This year they went in a 1.7l carburetted Lada Niva, as spares and mechanics would be easier to get.
    Some of the participants:
    2786797204_ce8a3ed85a.jpg

Best of luck sourcing the car, I'd be looking at the most basic car I could get my hands on, the less there is, the less there is to go wrong! :D

Few cruisers and a discovery in that pic! So much for one litre:p

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

2 Espressi wrote: »
    ...This year they went in a 1.7l carburetted Lada Niva, as spares and mechanics would be easier to get.
    :D

Grrr.. they've beaten me to it! I was planning on doing it next year with a Lada Niva!

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

superjosh9 wrote: »
    Grrr.. they've beaten me to it! I was planning on doing it next year with a Lada Niva!

+1.

Niva is too old, they're specifiying MY2000 cars or younger due to import restrictions into mongolia. If it were me (and it still might be) i'd think about doing it in a Suzuki Jimny. Lightweight, Jap, 4x4 and only 1.3L.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    Niva is too old, they're specifiying MY2000 cars or younger due to import restrictions into mongolia. If it were me (and it still might be) i'd think about doing it in a Suzuki Jimny. Lightweight, Jap, 4x4 and only 1.3L.

The Niva maybe old, but if it breaks down, there will be plenty of spares for it around (central Asia is filled with Lada's). A Jimny on the other hand would be harder to get parts for, not to mention vehicles that are too new have alot of complicated electronics in them, making it more of a nightmare to fix should something go wrong.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The Niva maybe old, but if it breaks down, there will be plenty of spares for it around (central Asia is filled with Lada's). A Jimny on the other hand would be harder to get parts for, not to mention vehicles that are too new have alot of complicated electronics in them, making it more of a nightmare to fix should something go wrong.

I agree but the simple fact is that they are not allowing cars over 10 years old take part. What you say is partially correct about the Jimny but it is also true of any car built since '99 - '00.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

except that the Jimny won't break down :D ...very reliable little yoke and a choice that I would recommend for this venture (especially as there are quite a few used ones to choose from)

peasant wrote: »
    except that the Jimny won't break down :D ...very reliable little yoke and a choice that I would recommend for this venture (especially as there are quite a few used ones to choose from)

I'd imagine that somewhere in the 15k, from frozen tundra to desert, it would break something. They can't be that difficult to fix however.

If you got a few of the same car going you could share the carrying of essential spares.

You could try this Justy:

http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?quicksearch=Subaru+Justy&textopt=all&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

AWD too. They're based on the Suzuki Swift.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    You could try this Justy:

http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?quicksearch=Subaru+Justy&textopt=all&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

AWD too. They're based on the Suzuki Swift.

Looking at youtube there and it seems that a lot of the teams used Suzuki SJ410's last year. Seriously impressed with the trip too, something I'd love to do someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyR3YiYSAIo&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sadly the rules have changed slightly for '09. The 1L rule is in but the car can't be more than 10yrs old so a '99 would just stretch it. Given the 100cc increments being financialy based expect to see lots of bigger cars there from folks with deeper pockets.

The SJ would be a good choice alright, but a bit samey if you know what I mean. If they let go of the 10 yr rule you could have a cracking holiday in an early 80's Fiat Amigo - relative luxury! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Advertisement