Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor Fan in Bathroom not working properly

Options
  • 26-08-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an extactor fan that was very recently fitted in my ensuite (and my ensuite has a window). I got it fitted because the ceiling kept going mouldy and even now that the fan has been fitted, it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

Could it be that the fan just isn't strong enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

Hi Paulsgirl,we had the same problem until someone told me about this product called Perma-White Mould and Mildew proof self priming paint by Zinsser.Its a little expensive but brilliant stuff.Just clean off the mould with diluted bleach first(wear gloves) let dry and then paint with this.I did this about four years ago and the ceiling is still perfectly clean and white.
    I have no connection with the company,just very pleased with the product

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

To be able to function correctly, the fan must be able to draw air into the room to be able to move the moisture laden air out. Is the room airtight once the door is closed? Can you leave the window slightly open to allow ventilation?

Also is the fan vented / ducted to the outside? It may not be able to push the air anywhere.

Finally, the small bathroom fans do not have huge capacity and the fan will need to be left running on a "delay timer" after you finish your shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

Thanks for your replies. I leave the window on night vent to allow some air to come in and there is a vent in the ensuite aswell which is always left open.

The fan is vented to the outside of the house aswell.

I leave it running for approximately 10 mins after a shower but this still isn't working.

I think I'll try that paint and also think I'll just try and get a more powerful fan although the electrician has assured me that the fan he put in should be suitable.....but its not doing the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

Lennox1, where did you get that paint by the way? I might get it at the weekend and give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

I tried Woodies etc without luck but got it in an independent paint shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement