Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operating system reinstall problem

• 26-08-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey had some problems reinstalling my os (xp) now when I switch my pc on im getting an option to load 2 different versions of xp. First one is fine and the second is missing some file. Point is the one that isnt working was a failed install but im wondering now whether I have 2 xp's on my machine. Any ideas on getting rid of the second fecked up version.

Oh and aside from main topic I have bloody american settings on keyboard somehow, how do I get irish/english keyboard settings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

You'll find a WINDOWS folder on your C: drive (or whatever drive letter windows in installed on)

If you find a WINDOWS folder on any other drive just delete it.
    untick
    To remove the second Windows entry in the boot menu, go to Control Panel > Folder Options.

Click "View" tab, then select "Show Hidden Folders and Files", and untick "Hide protected operating system files".

Now go to your C: drive and you'll see a faded file called boot.ini. Right click on it and choose properties, untick read only and choose OK. Before you edit it, make a copy of it and just call it boot.ini.bak or something.

Open boot.ini up in notepad and you'll see two entries under "operating systems", each line representing an option from the boot menu. Delete the line which represents the XP you want rid of. Save and close the file.

Make boot.ini read only again by going to properties and ticking read only.
    Make protected operating system files hidden again, and hide hidden files if you wish.

Reboot and you'll just boot straight into XP without the menu.

Second Problem:
    Control Panel > Region and Language Options.

In Region Options, choose English (Ireland) if not already selected.
    Go to Languages tab, click Details button. Select Irish layout in this screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Everything Myxomatosis said will do the trick fine but this might be an easier option for removing the second Windows entry from the Boot.ini file.

Start
    Right click “My Computer
    Properties
    Advanced

Click the “Settings Button” under the Startup and Recovery section
    Click the “Edit” button.

Then just delete the invalid line & save the file.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement