Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport

Options
  • 26-08-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭

What do you use to transport your horses around? And why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

Sandra
    Use: I will use a horsebox (when i get my EB licence).
    Why: Emm.. because i'll only be moving one horse or a mare and foal at a single time

Jason
    Use: Horse Lorry
    Why: Because he can move four horses at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

you don't need your eb licence to tow a horsebox, its under the weight

well my local tax office and my local garda station said i do.

your B licence entitles you to pull a single axle trailer up to 750kg.

horsebox is double axle.

look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Actually you do. You need it for any trailer over 750kg capacity. thats if you passed your test after Jan 1 1997.

I meant more specifics as in makes.

I'm trying to decide what to do for myself. Have an old Rice Europa trailer, but nothing to pull it with. (would also be interested in hearing about small lorries and their pros and cons)

oh sorry, i'd buy a jeep to pull it.

On the licence thing.. actually no i'll make a thread..

We have a Pajero jeep to pull the trailers. Its an old one but they last for years. Takes alot out of a car.

Little Lorry

Pro
    all one vehicle so easier to drive
    There deadly
    can look at the horses while driving (cameras)
    Drive them on a car licence

Con
    Diesel perhaps
    insurance perhaps
    tax perhaps

Sandra

• Advertisement

SanNJay wrote: »
    oh sorry, i'd buy a jeep to pull it.

We have a Pajero jeep to pull the trailers. Its an old one but they last for years. Takes alot out of a car.

Yeah I'm looking at the pajeros/landcruisers/troopers. But am wondering if I should keep my little 1.3 for my 40 mile total daily commute.
    Or why don't you buy a two horse lorry, you can drive them on a car licence. There deadly!

Sandra

I'd love one, especially those MTMs. Good ones are expensive though. And I aint exactly flash with the cash.

no no, you'd pick up a little lorry for handy money, not spanky new but that will do the job.

pajero is very good but heavy on diesel.

And yes definitly keep the litte car. I've a 1 litre micra that i wouldn't part with for the world 45 miles to the gallon vrrmmm vrmmm

Where would you find the small lorries advertised?

oh fine, here.. it pains me to share this with ye cos i wanted it but anyway...

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/822473

I'm a big done deal fan!!

Thats pretty sweet alright. I doubt if its under 3500 kg fully loaded though. (i.e. would probably need C license). Might be ok with one horse.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Thats pretty sweet alright. I doubt if its under 3500 kg fully loaded though. (i.e. would probably need C license). Might be ok with one horse.

I'd say it is - it's only a little mercedes 480D.

If they lorry has 8 bolts/nuts in the tyre then it requires a C licence.

I doubt this little one does.

Sandra

Nope, if the lorry plus its contents weigh more than 3500kg, then you require a C license.

A lot of people have been caught out in the UK over this. And a lot of the lorries sold as 3.5T arent really 3.5T.

oh really, so is there a place you can find out the weights of vehicles

Do you think they'll get strict about it here? especially the EB? when i went to the garda station i have to admit the garda i spoke to wasn't very convincing.

They can be strict about these things down around Wexford I believe. They dont seem to be in the rest of the country.

I prefer to conform to the law myself.

me to, do you know of anyone that did the EB or what is the test like?

Yes I know of at least one person that has done it. And also know an instructor who teaches for the test.

I *think* the test is similar to B test but with some more reversing in there. I'm open to correction on that.

yes but still its another test..

right back to your original post..

Sandra

I am getting a slightly different version of one of these, they are light on diesel, and very reliable! also anybody thinking of buying a two horse box, poland is the place to go! I got mine here though(unreal deal) but in poland they go for half the uk price!

pic_2822a.jpg

Thats a nice one Skink. I'd really love one of those. It would be my first choice. I hate jeeps.

They can be strict about these things down around Wexford I believe.

They are. They have a weighbridge on the N11 and it gets a bit of use. Especially with all the trucks coming in from Rosslare.
    Thats a nice one Skink. I'd really love one of those. It would be my first choice. I hate jeeps.

You would pick up a 2 seater jeep for handy money now.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have problems insuring commercials?

I haven't heard of any - insurance is cheaper, as is tax.

is it not very expensive to buy them in Poland?

Sandra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Does anyone have problems insuring commercials?

Commercial jeeps?? No, i've never had problems insuring mine, its cheaper than what i ever paid for my car when i had it. You are only insured to carry 2 people, hence why its cheaper. Its also no more expensive to tax either than the car was.

SanNJay wrote: »
    is it not very expensive to buy them in Poland?

Sandra

no you can pick up the model i have there for around 2,500 for around a 1995 age, and i think vrt is only 250 euro? not 100% on the vrt, still works out cheaper than a horsebox, and light on fuel consumption than a vehicle towing a trailer, and your B licence is sufficent,

my reason for getting one is I am waiting on my hgv test, and i am sick and tired of paying for accom wheneve i go to a show, I am going to put in somwe bits into the one i am getting to make it habitable for one or two nights!

skink wrote: »
    no you can pick up the model i have there for around 2,500 for around a 1995 age, and i think vrt is only 250 euro? not 100% on the vrt, still works out cheaper than a horsebox, and light on fuel consumption than a vehicle towing a trailer, and your B licence is sufficent,

my reason for getting one is I am waiting on my hgv test, and i am sick and tired of paying for accom wheneve i go to a show, I am going to put in somwe bits into the one i am getting to make it habitable for one or two nights!

Skink, any relating websites or where did you search horse lorries in Poland.

Sandra

I have a contact in poland that can source lorries, i don't actually know of any websites, he is flying back next tuesday if you want me to get to do up a list of some over there? it will take about 3 weeks though, possibly a month

thanks anyay skink but i'm gonna go with a horse box.

Sandra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I use a jeep and horse box. We have a lot of different towing vehicles here to do with work so i have tested quite a few vehicles including

Isuzu Troopers - Uncomfortable yet reliable
    Old Type Pajeros - Less comfortable and less reliable and less power
    New Type Landcruiser - Loads of power, very reliable and fairly comfortable
    New Type LR Discovery - Very Comfortable, powerful and reliable (My personal Fave)
    Ney Type Nissan Navara - Uncomfortable and very unreliable (in my experience and we had two of these)

Cant think of anything else off hand, but my personal fave is the New Type Land Rover Discovery and the Toyota Landcruiser a close second.

I would also keep my car for a run around as all jeeps worth their salt (2.5 - 3L) are EXTREEMLY hard on fuel.

My horse box is a 2 year old Ifor Williams 505 Double Delux and i haven't had a days trouble with it (apart from the breaks sticking on after its been parked for a while)

• Advertisement

I have to say, I like the discoverys and have heard they are great for towing. But there seems to be a lot of reliability issues with the older ones.

Advertisement