Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless internet problem! Very annoying, help needed!

Options
  • 26-08-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm having this problem with 2 desktop computers that have conceptronic wireless network cards installed to connect to eircom broadband.

Now I have my laptop aswell which connects wirelessly to the internet with no problems so there is no problem with the router.

The problem I am having is that both desktop computers can see the broadband connection and both signals are 'excellent', yet i can't seem to go onto any websites!? Sometimes one of them will work and then it will drop all of a sudden and not work again yet the signal is still perfect! I have tried changing between letting windows to manage the wireless network and also letting the conceptronic program to manage it yet neither seem to do the job.
    For example at the moment now one of the desktops is working, the one that is actually further away from the router but the other one isn't. It says it is connected but nothing is being sent or recieved, or very little anyway.
    Is there anyway that any of the computers, including my laptop are interferring with the connection or preventing all of them being connected at any 1 time? I really don't understand it at all as to why it says its connected and that the signal is 'excellent' yet hardly anything is being sent or received and i can't connect to any sites.

Is there any settings that you thing i should check or any advice at all?
    Thanks alot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boralad

Try connecting to your eircom router web interface when you cannot connect to any websites. You should be able to see if your router is connected to the internet. Have experienced this problem with eircom broadband in the past. During the day the connection was ok, evening time connection was very unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Disable the 3rd party Conceptronic Wireless Utility in msconfig.exe and reboot.

Go to Start > Run > "ncpa.cpl" > remove any old dial up or Broadband connections. Disable the LAN as well.

Right click on the Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Wireless Networks > Tick "use Windows to configure this Wireless Network"

Under the heading of Preferred Networks below that, remove everything in the list (single click each one and click remove).

Go back to Network Connections > Right click on the Wireless Network Connection > "View available wireless networks > Now connect you your Eircom network (with your security key which you will have to confirm).

Now test for webpages...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Ok cheers lads i'll give that a shot and let you know.

boralad wrote: »
    Try connecting to your eircom router web interface when you cannot connect to any websites. You should be able to see if your router is connected to the internet. Have experienced this problem with eircom broadband in the past. During the day the connection was ok, evening time connection was very unreliable.

Yeah i can connect to the router interface and it says that i'm connected but still can't connect to any webpages....trying next suggestion now.

Username! wrote: »
    Disable the 3rd party Conceptronic Wireless Utility in msconfig.exe and reboot.

Go to Start > Run > "ncpa.cpl" > remove any old dial up or Broadband connections. Disable the LAN as well.

Right click on the Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Wireless Networks > Tick "use Windows to configure this Wireless Network"

Under the heading of Preferred Networks below that, remove everything in the list (single click each one and click remove).

Go back to Network Connections > Right click on the Wireless Network Connection > "View available wireless networks > Now connect you your Eircom network (with your security key which you will have to confirm).

Now test for webpages...

Ok when you say disable conceptronic wireless utility from msconfig.exe i can't see it there. Can't I just disable it/exit it from the bottom right hand corner.
    Anyway i've tried all that and still i can't get onto any webpages!
    It says on the router interface that im connected and also the signal is excellent. There is a bit of activity over the last hour...20,000 sent and 15,000 received. No webpages tho!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The signal that its describing as 'excellent' is the signal between the wireless router and the card. It has nothing to to with your connection to the internet.

Can you confirm for us that you are not losing connection to the net? To diagnose a problem like this its important to be systematic so as to establish what is actually wrong - the basic internet connection or the wireless network. (From what you have stated in your first post it would seem that your internect connection is not at fault but you need to confirm this)

So can you confirm that the internet connection is not the problem? Can you connect one of the pcs by ethernet and see what happens? Also did you change anything in your set up recently?

Have you checked to see it there are any other wirless networks on the same channel which could be interfering with your network?

dub45 wrote: »
    The signal that its describing as 'excellent' is the signal between the wireless router and the card. It has nothing to to with your connection to the internet.

Can you confirm for us that you are not losing connection to the net? To diagnose a problem like this its important to be systematic so as to establish what is actually wrong - the basic internet connection or the wireless network. (From what you have stated in your first post it would seem that your internect connection is not at fault but you need to confirm this)

So can you confirm that the internet connection is not the problem? Can you connect one of the pcs by ethernet and see what happens? Also did you change anything in your set up recently?

Have you checked to see it there are any other wirless networks on the same channel which could be interfering with your network?

Yes i can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the internet connection as i am on it now using my laptop which does not have a problem connecting to it wirelessly.
    Em nope i didn't change anything in my setup recently, i've only set the 2 computers up recently and installed the 2 wireless cards in them and have never had them fully funtional.
    How do i check if there is any other wireless networks on the same channel that could be interferring?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i' having a similar poblem with a new laptop. Could use it no problem for the last few weeks with hotel wifi networks that didnt have any connection encryption but cant access any website on my home wifi. its connected fine to the router and i can see the router and access it but not any external websites.
    witting this from my old laptop so know its not a router to internet issue.

I disabled macafee firewall that came installed on it and restarted. managed to ping google.com but not boards.ie then tried google.com again and couldnt ping it again.odd and annoying!

Advertisement