Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you legally pulling your horsebox?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

The law requires you to have an EB licence to pull a horsebox.

So here's a little survey,

if you pull a horse box, do you have the correct licence?
    if you have a B licence have you ever been stopped by the gardai and corrected on this?

Sandra

Do you have an EB licence to pull your horse box 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Only people who passed their test after 1997 need the EB license.

I dont have mine yet. But I dont tow yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

fits wrote: »
    Only people who passed their test after 1997 need the EB license.

But sure if its on their licence they'll vote yes

Sorry, I wasnt very clear there, I meant only people who passed their B test after 1997 need to do the EB test.

Just in case anyone panics unnecessarily if they read this.

Sorry, I wasnt very clear there, I meant only people who passed their B test after 1997 need to do the EB test.

Just in case anyone panics unnecessarily if they read this.

ha ha

yeah what fits said.

Heres a little story.

I have a full B licence. So i want to apply for my EB provisional. I asked the lady if i have a provisional do i cover myself with the full B licence. and no you don't. You have to have full EB licence holder with you.

Also,

with insurance, they sometimes only take your most recent licence so if you have a full B and a provisonal EB your back to a provisional - unless its a different policy.

Sandra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

your actually wrong, with an E licence you can tow a trailer, once total weight of vehicle, trailer and load do not exceed 3,500kgs

• Advertisement

skink wrote: »
    your actually wrong, with an E licence you can tow a trailer, once total weight of vehicle, trailer and load do not exceed 3,500kgs

Nope, I'm 100% sure I'm correct that you need an EB for a trailer of capacity >750kg.

If you can find a source to back what you're saying up, post it by all means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jackell

Cars and trailers

If you hold a Full category B licence, you may tow a trailer only if:
    • the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 750kg or less, or
    • the unladen (empty) weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's design gross vehicle weight, and the combined design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.
    When using a car to tow a heavier trailer, you must hold a category EB licence.

May I tow a trailer on my full B license?

A. Yes, provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500kg or

(2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you will have to apply for a category EB
    license.

Source

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/Licensing/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

Point 2 clearly means you need an EB to tow a horsebox.

jackell wrote: »
    [/LIST]When using a car to tow a heavier trailer, you must hold a category EB licence.

You got there before me. However I think this sentence confuses the issue slightly. You will *always* need an EB to tow a horsebox.

the problem is that were not informed enough of this. the majority do not know you need an EB licence and use the 3500kg 'rule'

Sandra

• Advertisement

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

As a legal driver, it is your responsibility to make sure that you are aware of any changes to the law that relate to you.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

As a legal driver, it is your responsibility to make sure that you are aware of any changes to the law that relate to you.

I feel like your directing that at me. I started this post. I know the law

Sandra

I dont think that was directed at anyone Sandra.

And its very true. People should know the laws in relation to these things and make it their business to conform to them.

i apologise then for accusing.

Sandra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

Hmm, I have a full B license for only the last 2 years and I tow, so it appears I'm breaking the law. :o

So there's provisional EB licenses? Will I need another test then as well?

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I heard the gardai have been doing a few checks near venues where horseboxes and cattleboxes have been recentley.

A_M101 wrote: »
    Hmm, I have a full B license for only the last 2 years and I tow, so it appears I'm breaking the law. :o

So there's provisional EB licenses? Will I need another test then as well?

yes you need a provisional EB and you need a full licence EB driver to be with you until you pass your EB test.

Sandra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

If the towing vehicle weighs more than the trailer does when its loaded then your ok as long as that combined weight is no more than 3500kgs, right?

Bendihorse wrote: »
    If the towing vehicle weighs more than the trailer does when its loaded then your ok as long as that combined weight is no more than 3500kgs, right?

can you back that up? i.e quote, reference, links...

Sandra

• Advertisement

Ok for what?

You need an EB if the dgvw of the trailer is >750kg.

All horseboxes have a dgvw>750kg.

Ok for what?

You need an EB if the dgvw of the trailer is >750kg.

All horseboxes have a dgvw>750kg.

i don't know what dgvw stands for vehicle weight sticks out thou.

All i know is. A Category B licence entitles you drive a vehicle with up to 8 passengers and under 3,500kg. It also entitle you to pull a single axle trailer under 750kg.

anything above requires an EB licence

the scarey thing is, if you have an accident while towing your double axle horse/cattle/sheep box and you dont' have an EB licence well then technically your insurance company dosn't have to stand over you.

Sandra

dgvw is the design gross vehicle weight.

i.e. the weight of the trailer + the maximum weight it can carry.

Its probably close to 2000kg for most horseboxes.

dgvw is the design gross vehicle weight.

i.e. the weight of the trailer + the maximum weight it can carry.

Its probably close to 2000kg for most horseboxes.

ok, well then yes you need an EB licence if it is over that

Sandra

Ill keep towing until a guard tells me to stop. I was pulled over in Dublin on the M1 recently by a guard for being on the phone (even though i wasn't) He checked my licence but didn't say anything to me about the trailer.

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Ill keep towing until a guard tells me to stop. I was pulled over in Dublin on the M1 recently by a guard for being on the phone (even though i wasn't) He checked my licence but didn't say anything to me about the trailer.

Thats an interesting point you have just made.
    So if you were pulled up and asked for your licence and a guard told you that you were not legally driving what would your response be?

Sandra

My response would be 'No way! You need a licence to tow a trailer? Well iv been towing for 8 years and this is the first iv ever heard of that... Ill go and get it organised straight away officer' *flutter eyelashes and hope he lets me away with it* If he doesn't, i guess ill have to figure that one out at the time! :)

But if and when it comes to doing the test, i will be more inclined to go and do the Rigid Truck test rather than waste money on doing the Car and Trailer test...

what happens if you get a female guard are you gonna flutter your eye lashes at her?

If you do the rigid test you automatically get the EB. thats an advantage i suppose.

Sandra

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Very interesting thread here, I'm glad I have come across it!
    I just enquired yesterday with the Motor Tax Office as to what I should do to pull a horse box (they didn't enquire about the weight of it, it seems a horse box just automatically goes under EB Licence - but I have read the weight rules as pointed out above, and yes they are very confusing in regards to a horse box). I have a full B licence also (before the Theory test)

These were the instructions given:
    1. Apply for the theory test and after you have passed it... (If you have already done the theory test for a B licence then skip this part)
    2. Apply for a provisional EB Licence, after 6 months you can
    3. Sit the Car & Trailer Test

In the mean time you can drive & tow on your provisional EB Licence as long as you are accompanied by an EB Licence holder. Which they automatically gave to people with their B licence in the '80s.
    I don't know what the 6 months has to do with it? Before you can sit the test. I think if I got a lesson or two and was confident that I could reverse it and whatever else they wanted it, then I would do it straight away.

Has anyone here done the Car & Trailer test? Could they give a few pointers as to what's involved?

There seems to be very little information on this, well that I have come across anyway.
    Hope my little bit of information helps others, I'd be grateful to hear what people who have done the test have to add, although reading this forum it seems very few have done it?

• Advertisement

I think the reason so few have done it is a; because the dont know they have to or b; relatively few who passed their test after '97 would be towing horseboxes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement