Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you legally pulling your horsebox?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

Dammit.

I thought once I had my B I was done with test centres and test malarky for good.

It's rare that I tow anyway and rarely a necessity when I do and seeing as my equestrian activities are being put on a slight hold for the next 12 months I guess I'll just put off doing the test until it really is a necessity. What a pain though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

SanNJay wrote: »
    what happens if you get a female guard are you gonna flutter your eye lashes at her?

If you do the rigid test you automatically get the EB. thats an advantage i suppose.

Sandra

I might, sure ya never know she might be that way inclined :P If not and she decides to do me then so be it *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

fits wrote: »
    relatively few who passed their test after '97 would be towing horseboxes.

i'm not so sure fits. Are you saying younger people are less involved in horses or are driven around by family/friends etc?

Sandra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

As soon as they have all the unnacompanied provisionally licenced drivers policed off the roads, ill start worrying about my EB licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

i'm not so sure fits. Are you saying younger people are less involved in horses or are driven around by family/friends etc?

Sandra

Nah I'm just saying that relatively few under 30s would have their own towing vehicle and trailer. There are still a sizable amount though of course.

I'm going to do the EB test as soon as I can too. Have to do the theory test first.

• Advertisement

Nah I'm just saying that relatively few under 30s would have their own towing vehicle and trailer. There are still a sizable amount though of course.

I'm going to do the EB test as soon as I can too. Have to do the theory test first.

did you do a theorey test for your B licence? if yes, then you don't have to do the theorey test for the EB.

Sandra

Does it not look like I've researched this or something?

Does it not look like I've researched this or something?

just trying to be helpful.

Sandra

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Hi fits, do you pull a horse box at the moment then?

I only have a B licence - might need to pull a box fairly soon though, I won't get my theory test done and get my provisional posted out that soon. Knowing my luck I'd get stopped if I did drive before that. I would have someone to accompany me with an EB licence, but they got it when they were handing them out with your B licence and although they have pulled a box before they aren't that confident in doing so.
    What to do.....???? :(

ecaf wrote: »
    Hi fits, do you pull a horse box at the moment then?

I've only pulled an empty box once. I have a box, or rather my Dad does, but I've nothing to tow it with (nor does he).
    I only have a B licence - might need to pull a box fairly soon though, I won't get my theory test done and get my provisional posted out that soon. Knowing my luck I'd get stopped if I did drive before that. I would have someone to accompany me with an EB licence, but they got it when they were handing them out with your B licence and although they have pulled a box before they aren't that confident in doing so.
    What to do.....???? :(

You could get a lesson, and practice with an empty box. Its not that difficult really. Otherwise just apply for the license as quickly as you can.

• Advertisement

just trying to be helpful.

fair enough. But ecaf had posted that information already too. No real need to repeat it (in theory).

You could get a lesson, and practice with an empty box. Its not that difficult really. Otherwise just apply for the license as quickly as you can.

Yeah, going to do that. I'd apply for the theory test tomorrow but I'm scared I won't pass it. I did my friends theory test for the craic on the CD and got most right, but you have to get 35 out of 40 or something. I'm waiting to get the book sent to me and then when I've studied up I'll apply for the exam.

Don't think the Guards would take that as an excuse if they decided to pull you over and check you have the licence and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

jackell wrote: »
    Cars and trailers

If you hold a Full category B licence, you may tow a trailer only if:
    • the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 750kg or less, or
    • the unladen (empty) weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's design gross vehicle weight, and the combined design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.
    When using a car to tow a heavier trailer, you must hold a category EB licence.
    Quite a few people in this thread have mentioned the above guidelines for trailers and have then claimed that they disallow you from towing a trailer with a design GVW of over 750Kg. That's incorrect. If you read carefully you'll see the word or at the end of the first clause. You may tow a trailer heavier than 750Kg provided that you meet both requirements in the second clause. Obviously, you're highly unlikely to meet this requirement with something the size of a horse box but it doesn't mean that you can't tow greater than 750Kg.

For example, my car has a design GVW of just under 2000Kg, an unladen weight of about 1400Kg. That will allow someone to legally tow a trailer with design GVW of 1400Kg on a full category B licence.

You are wrong.

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/Licensing/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf
    May I tow a trailer on my full B license?

A. Yes, provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500kg or

(2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you will have to apply for a category EB license.

Quite a few people in this thread have mentioned the above guidelines for trailers and have then claimed that they disallow you from towing a trailer with a design GVW of over 750Kg. That's incorrect. If you read carefully you'll see the word or at the end of the first clause. You may tow a trailer heavier than 750Kg provided that you meet both requirements in the second clause. Obviously, you're highly unlikely to meet this requirement with something the size of a horse box but it doesn't mean that you can't tow greater than 750Kg.

For example, my car has a design GVW of just under 2000Kg, an unladen weight of about 1400Kg. That will allow someone to legally tow a trailer with design GVW of 1400Kg on a full category B licence.

Its hard to understand when you get caught up in GVW and combined weight < 3500kg, etc.
    Say for example a jeep (old pajero - 1992 / 1996 it's my friends not sure which, but its small and compact), and a standard double horse box.

Would these two be under 3500 kg then?

ecaf wrote: »
    Its hard to understand when you get caught up in GVW and combined weight < 3500kg, etc.
    Say for example a jeep (old pajero - 1992 / 1996 it's my friends not sure which, but its small and compact), and a standard double horse box.

Would these two be under 3500 kg then?

Look guys forget the weight!

a category B licence can only pull a SINGLE AXLE trailer.

Sandra

You are wrong.

May I tow a trailer on my full B license?

A. Yes, provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500kg or

(2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you will have to apply for a category EB
    license.
    http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/Licensing/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

This is the last time I'm going to post this. It is as clear as day.

you need an EB to tow a horsebox.

OK sorry! :o
    I know you mentioned that before, but I had forgotten.
    I took a mock theory test online and got 36, I think I'll go ahead and book it for next week, if I got it then I could have my provisional in time for the following weekend. (Fingers crossed)!

This is the last time I'm going to post this. It is as clear as day.

you need an EB to tow a horsebox.

yeah i'm agreeing with you.. i have done all along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandra

I strongly disagree. Either but not both of clauses (1) or (2) must be valid and the last line part is not part of clause (2). I'll reformat it so that you can re-read it properly:

Q. May I tow a trailer on my full B license?

A. Yes, provided

(1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500kg

or

(2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg

If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you will have to apply for a category EB license.

• Advertisement

(2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg

If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you will have to apply for a category EB license.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

read that there mr leeroy

a horse is 750kg for christ sake! let alone the trailer there standing in!!!

the guards told me, the tax office told me.. its written infront of you....

Sandra

Your understanding of the grammar is different to mine.

The tax office say it, the gardai say it, the RSA says it. You need your EB.

And beside all of this. Very few would qualify under point one anyway.

Most horsebox dgvw are 2T.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

read that there mr leeroy

a horse is 750kg for christ sake! let alone the trailer there standing in!!!

Sandra

I don't for a moment suggest that you could tow a horse box on a full category B license. I even pointed that out in my first post. What I'm saying is that you can legally tow a trailer heavier than 750Kg on a full category B license provided that your tow vehicle is of a suitable weight.

whats really starting to piss me off is that people actually know this and are delibrately breaking the law!

and then they come up with stupid excuses and quotes from stupid sources and expect others to believe it.

if you don't know the rules of the road you shouldn't be on the road!

Sandra

I don't for a moment suggest that you could tow a horse box on a full category B license. I even pointed that out in my first post. What I'm saying is that you can legally tow a trailer heavier than 750Kg on a full category B license provided that your tow vehicle is of a suitable weight.

well the discussion is about horses, not other livestock or cargo.

Sandra

well the discussion is about horses, not other livestock or cargo.
    I know. I've made my point and I'll leave now.

I know. I've made my point and I'll leave now.

I wasn't running you, you have as much right to your point as anyone else, its just people were talking about towing horseboxes and with your comment they might be confused and think its any livestock trailer.

I apologise if I came accross rude.

Sandra

I apologise if I came accross rude.
    No offense taken whatsoever. I'm not involved in equestrian activities (but I am involved in other activities that require lighter towing) so I didn't want to butt in too much here. I think I'll go an look this up a bit more and find out what the actual law says and if the 'or' actually comes from it or someone just stuck it in mistakenly when doing up the regulations.

Right. First off, myself and Fits are the moderators - leave the mod work to us please.

If you have a problem with a post, report it using the report button.

You need a licence to tow a twin wheel trailer. Most (if not all) horseboxes are twin wheel and most would weigh over over 750kgs. From this, it would seem that if you have horsebox you would need a licence.

However, boards.ie doesn't give legal advice. Please contact a solicitor for final clarification. Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement