Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Current OS Disk to RAID5...

Options
  • 26-08-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

As I'm sure many of you have witnessed before, I'm agonisingly waiting on the final components of my new upgrade to arrive :)

I'm now just waiting on my 2 additional raptor drives to arrive. I already have 1 of them. My motherboard is an EVGA nForce 680i. Oddly enough, I see specs for this board as having onboard RAID supporting 0/1/0+1, but the RAID5 capability seems to come and go as you look through various different sites, manuals, etc. (anyone any idea on this?)

My plan is to either RAID5 the 3 Raptors or else RAID0 2 of them (more than likely the latter as I don't really need the redundancy quite so much if I'm honest with myself!).

So, my question is this: If I install Vista x64 onto this single raptor drive I currently have, is it possible for me then to add another drive(s) and "upgrade" the setup to a RAID setup, whilst keeping the data on the drive in tact? Does it depend on the RAID controller / onboard RAID capabilities? Finally, do I need to do any prepwork such as define my single drive as a "RAID0 Array" (I've seen certain RAID controllers do this by default) before I can add a disk to it?

Thanks in advance, as always!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, You should be able to image the original drive onto a spare partion on another drive and then restore it back to a raid array when You set it up. You'll need Acronis true image, great software but not free. I use this software to take an image of my main Vista partion (its 40GB just Vista & programs, I don't install games there) usually ends up 18GB and I can reinstall Vista from this image with all drivers and fully setup in 12minutes, never need to go through the trouble of a reinstall again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Cool, that sounds exactly like what I need. Cheers!

So TrueImage can restore partitions via bootable CD or something similar, I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Folex wrote: »
    Cool, that sounds exactly like what I need. Cheers!

So TrueImage can restore partitions via bootable CD or something similar, I presume?

Ya, a few options: make a rescue disk, set it to restore from a partion on another hd in the pc, restore from a network directory etc. Amazing piece of kit. I've only used it to restore from another hd in my pc, I've not made a rescue cd as that is just messy and I've a habit of scratchin them. As I said it restored for me in 12 mins.

Yours could be a lot more tricky as your not going to be restoring back to the same hd, but to a new raid volume, but it still should be possible

Advertisement