Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOI start

Options
  • 26-08-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Anyone planning on going along to this tomorrow? I'm hoping to make it up to the M50 bridge where the racing starts, for 10:30 or so. Will bring the camera hopefully and see if I can get some shots.
    Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Goin to Dundrum myself, couldn't convince anyone to go any further on a "work" day. Probably wont be wearing a boards jersey, but I think there are enough photos of me floating around here now in case anyone is around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Raam and myself are planning on heading down to the finish line- what started at "the M50 bridge" turned into Laragh, Mount Leinster and has ended up being the finish line in Waterford. We aim to take a head start on the race and get down there before them, anyone else is more than welcome to join in BTW, and if there are any Boardsies in Waterford would be happy to meet up.

Getting the 18:25 train back to Dublin, have to be in Waterford a bit before the estimated stage finish at 14:30. I am trying to plot logistics now, hope we should keep up a 30km/h average; doing the actual stage might be over-optimistic, we may have to take a short-cut down to Waterford if we are to be sure to get there (on the other hand if we do the stage we are guaranteed to see the riders whether we make it to Waterford ahead of them or not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Goin to Dundrum myself, couldn't convince anyone to go any further on a "work" day. Probably wont be wearing a boards jersey, but I think there are enough photos of me floating around here now in case anyone is around there.
    Where were you planning on watching in Dundrum? it only breezes by the balally luas stop in neutralized zone from what I can understand of the route.

Yup, I think that's where we were planning. I wanted to pop out to Enniskerry but the lads here only want to take a quick spin out of UCD, see a blur and cycle back in time for morning coffee. Sad, i know.

Blorg's idea sounds like the way to do it, but a) I can't do it that fast or b) take a day off :(

@Dirk- I'd consider heading on up to the National Mint/M50 bridge/Lambs Cross area, only 5 mins further up the road and that is where the flag goes down and the racing actually starts, would be well worth it I reckon.

• Advertisement

Blorg - Sounds like that's the thing to do so, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

guys, I have a few things to write and some photos already to post. I will start new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

am planning to head towards Laragh to see it around there, its a good cycle out, so hopefully the weather will be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Ill be at the very start at Grand canal dock. Will be cool to see everyones photos along the route

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lucky for me this goes right by the house, cannot wait, will be out taking pictures :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Anyone have a map of the Stage 1 route?

Which way are they going out to roundwood? Out past calary bog, is it?

From the official route sheet someone sent around earlier...
    0.0 National Mint Start Proper Greenlands 10:44 10:44 10:44
    1.0 Lambs Cross Straight On Enniskerry Road 10:45 10:45 10:45
    2.1 Roundabout Straight On, both sides 10:47 10:46 10:46
    2.4 Sign - Stepaside Straight On 10:47 10:47 10:47
    2.8 Traffic Lights Straight On 10:48 10:47 10:47
    5.4 Traffic Lights Straight On 10:52 10:51 10:50
    9.2 Y Junction Keep Left Texaco Garage 10:58 10:56 10:55
    10.4 Speed Bump 10:59 10:58 10:57
    10.5 T Junction Right Enniskerry Village 11:00 10:58 10:57
    10.6 Town Clock Left 11:00 10:58 10:57
    12.1 Narrow Bridge 11:02 11:00 10:59
    12.4 T Junction Right Dir Roundwood 11:03 11:01 10:59
    14.0 T Junction Left 11:05 11:03 11:01
    15.5 T Junction Right - KOM Start Cat 3 Lower Sugar Loaf 11:07 11:05 11:03
    17.9 KOM Finish Mirror on RHS 11:11 11:08 11:06
    27.5 Roundwood 11:26 11:22 11:18
    28.5 Roundwood Post Office Sprint 1 11:27 11:23 11:19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I'm in work all day :(
    going to try and catch them going by lesson street though as that is close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

kenmc wrote: »
    From the official route sheet someone sent around earlier...
    10.5 T Junction Right Enniskerry Village 11:00 10:58 10:57
    10.6 Town Clock Left 11:00 10:58 10:57
    12.1 Narrow Bridge 11:02 11:00 10:59
    12.4 T Junction Right Dir Roundwood 11:03 11:01 10:59
    14.0 T Junction Left 11:05 11:03 11:01
    15.5 T Junction Right - KOM Start Cat 3 Lower Sugar Loaf 11:07 11:05 11:03
    17.9 KOM Finish Mirror on RHS 11:11 11:08 11:06
    27.5 Roundwood 11:26 11:22 11:18
    28.5 Roundwood Post Office Sprint 1 11:27 11:23 11:19

No Sally Gap eh... thought these guys were supposed to be professionals :p -Blorg, I hope you're including Sally and Wicklow gaps in your route today... I'd expect nothing less :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

No Sally Gap eh... thought these guys were supposed to be professionals :p -Blorg, I hope you're including Sally and Wicklow gaps in your route today... I'd expect nothing less :)

Thought that was strange. Have been up Sally Gap 4 times and it is killing me. What is the route to Roundwood that the tour is taking when compared with route up to Sally Gap from Enniskerry. ie what is the road from Enniskerry to Roundwood like in terms of climbs/gradients?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ROK ON wrote: »
    Thought that was strange. Have been up Sally Gap 4 times and it is killing me. What is the route to Roundwood that the tour is taking when compared with route up to Sally Gap from Enniskerry. ie what is the road from Enniskerry to Roundwood like in terms of climbs/gradients?

It's a grand road, not a huge amount of climbing at all in it. I suppose though the speed those guys will be hitting makes it tough enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Just back from watching the start at grand Canal Street. Couldn't see Cavendish in the group but as we were heading off we saw a Colombia rider coming up the road who stopped dead in from of us on the corner with a stem problem. Wearing the #1 it was Mark Cavendish.

Small enough field. looking forward to the highlights tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Missed the start by 3minutes. Thought it was 10:30 beginning. gutted

Downtime wrote: »
    Just back from watching the start at grand Canal Street. Couldn't see Cavendish in the group but as we were heading off we saw a Colombia rider coming up the road who stopped dead in from of us on the corner with a stem problem. Wearing the #1 it was Mark Cavendish.

Small enough field. looking forward to the highlights tonight.

yeah that was Cavendish alrite, wearing #1, I seeing him out the back at the start, lucky the first 10k are neutralized!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Missed the start by 3minutes. Thought it was 10:30 beginning. gutted

me too, annoyed :mad:
    went up for 10:30 but I suppose they started a bit early. I stood around for about 20 mins!

• Advertisement

Just back from KM0. Few pics, nothing special I think. A huge crowd of around 7 at the start. Lucky I got there early :rolleyes:
    Pics here

LDB wrote: »
    me too, annoyed :mad:
    went up for 10:30 but I suppose they started a bit early. I stood around for about 20 mins!

they started at 10.15......

I was out last nite, got a phone call at 10:22 this morning waking me up. Popped into the shower, hopped on the bike and raced in...got to Foster's ave at 10:44. Gutted I missed the bunch passing through, but one of the lads got some class photos. Would have liked to go to the start like Blorg suggested, but none of the lads wanted to stray far from UCD :(

Oh the best part was watching the postwoman throwing a wobbly cos they'd closed the road and wouldn't let her drive out of the estate where she'd been delivering letters. You'd think that An Post would have some idea about it..... ? :rolleyes:

The riders got lost somewhere along the route, wasting about 30 minutes.
    Met Niceonetom, Cadex at the start in the quays, and Raam and Blorg, who made it to Waterford before the riders at the finish.

The riders got lost somewhere along the route, wasting about 30 minutes.
    Classic stuff, we were wondering what was keeping them!

Great day cycling to see the end of the race whizz by in 15 seconds! We took a pretty "direct" route down but almost all on back roads and it was more than a bit hilly in places. Quite a good (and completely gratuitous) climb near the start took us up over 325m, in order to avoid the N81.

th_27-08-2008Route.png th_27-08-2008Elevation-Distance.png

We were on the N9 for only around 5km during which Raam was almost killed by a truck, gave him about 4cm at the most passing, absolutely disgraceful driving (we were single file, me behind, and as close to the edge as we could be too.) Wavin were the owners of it if ye happen to be a big consumer of plastic pipes and want to start a boycott.

I must say it was absolutely classic to sprint down the finishing straight in Waterford with all the 500m, 400m, etc to go markers and with spectators cheering us!

David Millar's chain snapped just inches from the finish line :D
    th_david_millar.jpg

Raam has a very good photo of the winner who shall remain nameless for now as I am sure many of ye will be watching the highlights in just a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A great day indeed, near death experiences aside. Although, I thought I was a goner.

Anyway, the real winner was Blorg who beat me by bike lengths in the sprint. In my defense, I suck. That's all I got. Though it sure was great fun hammering it down the main run in getting all the attention from the awaiting fans. Even the Gardai were cheering us on, either that or telling us to get off the course ;)

Many thanks to Blorg for routing us over that climb first thing in the morning. I'll remember that one. Having said that, he made up for it by doing a great job leading into the headwind for most of the way. Thanks for that.

If you are watching the highlights now, don't click this link...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/PLDoyle/TOI2008Stage1

Do u recognize these 2 cyclists ...? hehe!!!!

Tour%20of%20Ireland%20101.JPG?imgmax=512

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Do u recognoze these 2 cyclists ...? hehe!!!!

Tour%20of%20Ireland%20101.JPG?imgmax=512

Blorg, what are you smoking in that pic?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Blorg, what are you smoking in that pic?

Looks like a fat one.

Advertisement