Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hand break light

Options
  • 26-08-2008 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi can anybdy help me please,

I have a 97 fiesta and all of a sudden last night while driving the handbreak light came on. It has since gone off but goes on and off intermittenly is this a major problem or is it just something small? I dont really have the spare cash at the moment to bring it to a garage but im terrified in case i end up stranded at the side of the road one of these nights?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Usually means your pads are worn and need to be replaced, or your brake fluid is low

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Sounds like you're just low on brake fluid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

MissTF wrote: »
    Hi can anybdy help me please,

I have a 97 fiesta and all of a sudden last night while driving the handbreak light came on. It has since gone off but goes on and off intermittenly is this a major problem or is it just something small? I dont really have the spare cash at the moment to bring it to a garage but im terrified in case i end up stranded at the side of the road one of these nights?

Cheers ;)

This was happening to my car as well. Your handbrake light is more than likely also a break warning light. If it comes on when the handbrake is not on it suggests that there is a problem with your braking system.

I just topped up my break fluid and it seemed to fix the problem. Well the light never came on again. My break fluid wasn't near the minimum mark but there was room to add some.

You say it comes on and off. Which was happening in mine. I figured that whatever sensor was measuring the break fluid was a bit iffy and that the movement of break fluid caused by sharp breaking/accelerating seemed to cause the light to come on/off.

How do the breaks feel/perform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissTF

Thanks lads great help, i just went into quickfit they said the pads are worn below the normal level so they'll need to replace the pads and discs and in true quick fit style also threw in i that i needed a new tyre, total cost-€230! Ah well at least i know what the problem is now im booked in for saturday. Thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I didnt think 97 fiesta had pad warning sensor? I may be wrong. I would get a second opinion on it requiring disc. Pads fair enough but they are usually overly quick to recommend discs which only require changing with every 3 -4 sets of pads on fiesta generally. A set of front pads fitted on fiesta should be no more than €35 + 1 hour labour.

Are they doing front & rear or just front? Dont get me wrong, if it requires the work it is money well spent but if you are tight for cash, you would want to be quite sure it is justified. Thats alot to spend on a 97 fiesta

Hi Mickdw, im thinking its a lot to spend too. The guy in quick fit said the pads are worn down past the limit they should be and he needs to replace the discs because they are so thin? i dont think they checked the back just the front but i have since spoken to someone and they have told me if the pads are that worn there should be a scraping sound like metal on metal when i brake but i cant hear any noises at all?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its brakes dammit ... BRAKES .. not BREAK .. thats what you do with a Kit-Kat! :)

Ha ha im a girl cant help it im not supposed to know how to spell car parts properly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

The best way to tell if your discs are worn is to feel them...

Rub your finger from the center to the outside of the disc.If they are worn you will feel a lip on the very outside ( This means that the disc has been worn down by the pads ) The outside of the disc around the circumference will remain the same thickness as the pads don't come into contact with this part of the disc. If you feel a lip ( usually a small lip is ok 2 - 3 mm maybe ) this means your discs need replacing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

mickdw wrote: »
    I didnt think 97 fiesta had pad warning sensor? I may be wrong
    It doesnt - if all 4 pads/shoes are worn down enough the brake fluid level will have dropped significantly in the resevoir causing the light to come on. when all pistons are pushed back in again the level will come back up in the resevoir causing the light to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

VH wrote: »
    It doesnt - if all 4 pads/shoes are worn down enough the brake fluid level will have dropped significantly in the resevoir causing the light to come on. when all pistons are pushed back in again the level will come back up in the resevoir causing the light to go out.

Yes Im sure that is what has caused the light in this case but my point is that athough yes the pad are worn enough to require a fluid top up does not mean you must replace them. Also I would never push the fluid backwards through the system when replacing pads as there is a risk of damaging master cylinder seals specially if work carried out by careless apprentice. Always imo better to let fluid out at the bleed nipple at each wheel and bleed brakes when finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes Im sure that is what has caused the light in this case but my point is that athough yes the pad are worn enough to require a fluid top up does not mean you must replace them.
    quite possibly not - I was only explaining the probable reason for the light to be on
    mickdw wrote:
    Also I would never push the fluid backwards through the system when replacing pads as there is a risk of damaging master cylinder seals
    thank opel for that - they had a lot of trouble with damaged master cylinders in early astras - I've been gently pushing pistons back in for years (not opels tho) and have not had any trouble yet

Advertisement