Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep crows off my thatch roof?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

I have a thatched roof on my cottage and around last March I had the ridge replaced, and this cost €700.

Since then, the crows and magpies have been having a field day pulling individual reeds out of the ridge, so that it's beginning to look patchy again. I wouldn't mind so much if they were using the reed to build their nests, but it seems to be just for the sake of it!

Any humane tips for keeping crows and magpies off the roof?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. Chicken wire, two or three layers? A hawk (oh, wait, you said humane)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

There was something on some radio station a while back about mice in a thatch roof, and the advice given was it was that there probably grain left on the straw, which would attract the mice.
    Maybe there is grain left in your straw that is attracting the crows & magpies ?.
    I hope this of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

try putting a stuffed owl or hawk on top of the roof that is what is used when there is a bird problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Banger, shotgun, fireworks ( maybe not that great an idea near a thatched roof ) just something that makes that type of noise. Stick at it for a while and don't be too regular or they'll have you sussed in no time at all.

Another one is preventing them from having a stable perch with nets or something similar. If the can't perch on something solid and stable they won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

do u have chicken wire on the roof ??
    if you do i think you could put a small electric current through the chicken wire that would keep them off your roof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Get 1 of the kites that is like a hawk, it will hover over the roof and the crows wont dare come near it..farmers use them to keep away birds and they work...

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

getz wrote: »
    try putting a stuffed owl or hawk on top of the roof that is what is used when there is a bird problem
    that will only have crows and magpies mobbing the house crowwing and cackling attacking it. wire or bangers or even a falconer to fly his birds around for a few days that'll move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Electrified chickenwire won't do the job. Have you never seen birds sitting on live electric cables ? Doesn't bother them that much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Electrified chickenwire won't do the job. Have you never seen birds sitting on live electric cables ? Doesn't bother them that much at all.

I think with them cables you have to touch the 2 or 3 cables together to close the circuit. I think only touching one has no effect.
    I remember seeing a program about american eagles stretching their wings out while sitting on a cable and touching the other cable with their wing and killing themselves. They had to redesign the layout so one wire was lower and further away so as not to allow contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Umm, wouldn't electrified wire and bangers be fire hazards on thatch?

Could you get some more straw and put it somewhere it's easier to get at - kind of like paying protection?

Could you put something vile-tasting (to crows) on the thatch?

Maybe ask old folks who have thatch? Or ask the Irish Wildbird Conservancy, who may have come across this before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

we had issues with an infestation of magpies (genuine infestation). They killed off all the other birds around the area and were constantly dive bombing and physically attacking the cat and dog so we got a humane magpie trap. Put catfood or broken egg shells in one side and they'll fly in to get at it. It then closes and you can move the trapped magpie into the other side of it(where the shells are). This will attract more and more and as they're caught you can release them miles away from your home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

My brother had a serious crow problem as his garden backed onto a forest. He got a plastic owl ornament, about 10 inches high, from a garden centre a couple of years ago. He put the owl on his back wall an since then he hasn't had a single crow in the garden. They still land in his neighbours gardens and rip apart their bins. It might be a bit gaudy but it will work.

Simple, effective and FAR cheaper than the other options!

Advertisement