Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to buy a LHD car in Ireland?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Thinking about heading to Europe for a few months next year. Instead of that interrailing lark I want to get a LHD car here, and drive it over.

What would be the best way to go about this?

I'm guessing they'd be cheap enough to buy here due to the limited demand.
    Any idea what the general quality of the western European cars in Ireland is like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Look in your local tesco/supervalue

there are always Polish guys selling their cars on the notice boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Use carzone's new keyword search to look for "LHD" and "left hand drive". Downside is it requires you to at least select a manufacturer, so you'd have to do it separately for each manufacturer you're interested in.

Ooo look, a 1995 LHD VW Corrado with a big engine :D
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Corrado/SLC/1066207/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

As Stephen says but try www.buyandsell.ie and in key word put LHD.

your best bet is up north (no vrt) if your leaving the country with it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll be paying more to insure a LHD car here and then when you come back you'll be stuck trying to sell a LHD car. There could be issues with an Irish insurance policy if you are out of Ireland for more then 30 days.

Would it not be easier to just buy a RHD car and use that, at least it'll be easier to move on when you're done with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

frag4 wrote: »
    As Stephen says but try www.buyandsell.ie and in key word put LHD.

your best bet is up north (no vrt) if your leaving the country with it

If I leave through Ireland will I be done for VRT?

Looking for something reliable and fairly cheap, 3k or under.

I'll be 25 by the time I hit the road so insurance costs are still an issue. What's the best thing to do about insurance?

B&S seems to have a good selection. Will keep my eyes peeled for any cars near supermarkets. There's been an old 90's LHD Astra for sale by Lidl for a while alright.

RichyX wrote: »
    If I leave through Ireland will I be done for VRT?

Yes, if you want to drive it legally here.

Looking for something reliable and fairly cheap, 3k or under.

I'll be 25 by the time I hit the road so insurance costs are still an issue. What's the best thing to do about insurance?

B&S seems to have a good selection. Will keep my eyes peeled for any cars near supermarkets. There's been an old 90's LHD Astra for sale by Lidl for a while alright.

You won't have much comfort driving an early 90's Astra. There are a fairly basic car not really designed for long distances. Go for something in the Moneo/Vectra class as they'll be more comfortable.

For 3k you'll be looking at a lot of bad cars to find one decent one, especially when dealing with cars from Eastern Eurpoe. Be aware that some of these cars may have been stolen and brough over here.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You won't have much comfort driving an early 90's Astra. There are a fairly basic car not really designed for long distances..

I wouldn't touch an older Astra with a bargepole!
    Just used it as an example of what's around here.

Thought 3K would get me a decent car. Late 90's Almera's and other reasonable motors can be had for less in RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What do you intend to do with the car once you're done with it?
    Selling it abroad will be difficult due to registration issues and selling it here won't be easy either.

You may lose quite a lot of money. If i were you I'd investigate longterm rental in different EU countries ...might work out cheaper in the end (especially when factoring in insurance and tax as well)

peasant wrote: »
    What do you intend to do with the car once you're done with it?
    Selling it abroad will be difficult due to registration issues and selling it here won't be easy either.

Sell it for cash to a dealer in whichever country I finish in.
    peasant wrote: »
    You may lose quite a lot of money. If i were you I'd investigate longterm rental in different EU countries ...might work out cheaper in the end (especially when factoring in insurance and tax as well)

Had a quick look at longterm rentals. For 3 months rental it was costing over 3K for a Renault Twingo.
    Seems a bit steep, but I'll get a few different quites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Here's a couple of LHDs from carzone.

Here's a Camaro for you too.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

frag4 wrote: »

The focus of that site seems to be on newer cars.
    The only thing anywhere hear my budget is a 95 Peugeot 806!

Del2005 wrote: »
    Be aware that some of these cars may have been stolen and brough over here.

Is there any way to check if an eastern European car has been stolen?
    Do individual countries (Poland most likely), have something along the lines of a HPI check?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Get a mid-90s 5 series off a Pole. Should last. I've encountered a number of them up around Drogheda.

Get a mid-90s 5 series off a Pole. Should last. I've encountered a number of them up around Drogheda.

That's what I'd like to get in an ideal world.
    Maybe an A6 or Merc E-Class instead, depending on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Something American perhaps?

What's the best way to go about insuring a car for driving around Europe?
    Looking at A6's and got a quote of 1K from Quinn for basic insurance.
    Damn my 2 years NCB!

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Something American perhaps?

Trying to keep the engine size down to 1.8 so I'd say I wouldn't have many options there.

RichyX wrote: »
    What's the best way to go about insuring a car for driving around Europe?
    Looking at A6's and got a quote of 1K from Quinn for basic insurance.
    Damn my 2 years NCB!

By using the phone, unfortunately most Irish policies only cover 30 days EU driving as standard. You'll have to call and ask specifically about long term EU driving, but for that you'll need a car to get a quote.

Just pick a random LHD car and get a quote and ask about extended EU driving. It should be free, free movement of people and goods in EU, but since we're in Ireland I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Well ...

1. Insurance company will not cover a foreign reg car, you'll have to register it with Irish plates.
    2. Most insurers will cover you for a MAX of 90 days outside of Ireland.
    3. No foreign dealer will take the car off you with Foreign plates, its more money for them to go and register it. Germany for example, you won't be able to sell it as they have no comeback since your not a resident and they have no way to check the cars history.

The easiest way would be to find a LHD car on Irish plates and insure as normal here, then contact quinn and inform them your going abroad for 3 months.

Don't really see why you need a LHD car, theres not really all that much of a difference, the only balls is the Mac Donalds drive thru and toll gates :P

craichoe wrote: »
    Well ...

1. Insurance company will not cover a foreign reg car, you'll have to register it with Irish plates.
    2. Most insurers will cover you for a MAX of 90 days outside of Ireland.
    3. No foreign dealer will take the car off you with Foreign plates, its more money for them to go and register it. Germany for example, you won't be able to sell it as they have no comeback since your not a resident and they have no way to check the cars history.

The easiest way would be to find a LHD car on Irish plates and insure as normal here, then contact quinn and inform them your going abroad for 3 months.

Don't really see why you need a LHD car, theres not really all that much of a difference, the only balls is the Mac Donalds drive thru and toll gates :P

Thanks for all the advice.
    Quinn will cover me for 93 days of driving outside of Ireland.

Don't see a huge number of LHD's on Irish plates. The majority of the supermarket carpark motors are still on original plates.
    Won't be going until next May or June so I should have enough time to get something good.

Thinking a 1.6 Mondeo, Passat, S40, A4 or something similar would be a good idea since we'll be doing long distances.
    Are there any cars that would be especially good for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Good idea may be a late 90s passat, a4, octavia etc in TDI form as opposed to 1.6 petrol. They're good comfortable cruisers and since your doing high milage the more you can get out of the tank the better. I've done Kildare to Tyrone and back to Kilkenny in one day in my passat and didn't find it tiring at all. Also you'll prob have a lot of bags travelling around, and the passat has a huge boot, as does the octavia ;)

Should be able to pick one up pretty realsonable:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/tdi/1171622/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI/1181783/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Octavia/1.9-TDI/1183298/

Advertisement