Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed Second year- options?

• 26-08-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, failed second year and would like to know what other options i have.
    i can think of 4 so far-
    go back and repeat second year without my grant using my own money.
    go back when im 23 and finish out my course.
    go back to college on a different course when im 23.
    or re-do my cao dealy and see what i can get this year.

anything else?
    thanks in advance

Comments

...repeat 'off books' whereby you don't attend lectures and only sit the exams next year (and so only pay for the cost of the exams). Most colleges have this option I think.

Oh, and if you've a tutor/mentor system in your college contact them soon, since there may be very tight closing dates for any appeals. Plus they could give you some good advice which is always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Myth wrote: »
    ...repeat 'off books' whereby you don't attend lectures and only sit the exams next year (and so only pay for the cost of the exams). Most colleges have this option I think.

Oh, and if you've a tutor/mentor system in your college contact them soon, since there may be very tight closing dates for any appeals. Plus they could give you some good advice which is always good.
    id probably prefer that, since the thoughts of doing the course again makes me cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Myth wrote: »

One point on this method of repeating - be very careful you get notes/class handouts etc.

Speaking from experience, lecturers change from year to year and while they will adhere to the syllabus, each lecturer will have his or her own way of doing things. He/She might also omit certain topics, or worse still, add in their own slant on topics, which may result in a different type of exam at the end of the year. For example, in a certain college, I lectured on Operating Systems and used Linux. The following year, I was helping out the new lecturer and she knew nothing about Linux, so taught the same course using Windows. Nothing wrong with that, the theory is still the same, but it's just something to be aware of.

I've had to deal with students repeating the exam only and it has been a bit of a challenge for them.

Nerin wrote: »
    Basically, failed second year and would like to know what other options i have.
    i can think of 4 so far-
    go back and repeat second year without my grant using my own money.
    go back when im 23 and finish out my course.
    go back to college on a different course when im 23.
    or re-do my cao dealy and see what i can get this year.

anything else?
    thanks in advance

Oh, one other thing... I've just answered a query for someone who is 23 and dropped out of college. They have to pay fees even if they are a mature student. If you go back at 23, you don't automatically get 'free fees' again, you've to wait five years between when you dropped out before going to college again because otherwise you would be paying fees for those years you previously did in college.

Not sure if you knew that but the reference to 23 above just made me think of this.

Advertisement