Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Select Top XI from the Premiership

• 26-08-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Had this thread a year ago, thought it'd be interesting to see how opinions change

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126515

I'm gona to try pick it not in terms of who is the best player but how they would work as a team, but obviously, whatever way you want to go.
    I'm not basing it on last seasons form, but in general.

Cech
    --Sagna--Ferdinand--Carvalho---Evra-
    Essien----Fabregas
    --Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Young--
    Torres

It was once again a tough choice between Fabregas and Scholes, but I think Fabregas having added goals to his game edges it now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cech

Richards
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Clichy

Essien

Ballack
    Fabregas

Ronaldo
    Young

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cant really argue with your team. To be a wee bit different I'll make the following changes.

Cech
    --Essien--Ferdinand--Carvalho---Evra-
    Mascherano----Fabregas
    --Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Young--
    Torres

I would just love to see a midfield pairing of Mascherano & Fabregas. Gerrard offers more goals and assists than Rooney so that was a bit of a no brainer. Sagna may be a better option than Essien but its impossible to leave him out of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

PHB wrote: »
    Had this thread a year ago, thought it'd be interesting to see how opinions change

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126515

I'm gona to try pick it not in terms of who is the best player but how they would work as a team, but obviously, whatever way you want to go.
    I'm not basing it on last seasons form, but in general.

Cech
    --Sagna--Ferdinand--Carvalho---Evra-
    Essien----Fabregas
    --Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Young--
    Torres

It was once again a tough choice between Fabregas and Scholes, but I think Fabregas having added goals to his game edges it now.

I'd agree with that team really, maybe replace Young with Petrov.

Tusky wrote: »
    Cant really argue with your team. To be a wee bit different I'll make the following changes.

Cech
    --Essien--Ferdinand--Carvalho---Evra-
    Mascherano----Fabregas
    --Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Young--
    Torres

I would just love to see a midfield pairing of Mascherano & Fabregas.

:mad: Why must people keep doing that?

He's the best holding player in the Premiership if not the world and he keeps getting stuck at feckin right back. The mind boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cech

Sagna
    Terry (C)
    Carvalho
    Evra

Essien
    Mascherano

Gerrard
    Tevez
    Ronaldo

Torres

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

He's the best holding player in the Premiership if not the world and he keeps getting stuck at feckin right back. The mind boggles!

Because Mascherano is damn good too. I like to idea of Mascherano & Fabregas in the middle, thats why :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53660101&postcount=32

with Torres in for Drogba
    A Cole in for Riise
    Brown for Neville and Ferdinand for Carragher

Because Mascherano is damn good too. I like to idea of Mascherano & Fabregas in the middle, thats why :)

But Essien is a better player than Mascherano. Why not play Mascherano at right back and play the best player in his best position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Problem with Essien is that he's one of the best RBs in the world also :) That said, he did get owned there by Ronaldo in the CL final so :)

But Essien is a better player than Mascherano. Why not play Mascherano at right back and play the best player in his best position?

Well Ive never seen Mascherano play right back. Essien on the other hand, is a terrific right back. With Mascherano covering, he would be able to make powerful driving runs into the other teams half.

Another option would be this -

Cech

Sagna
    Ferdinand
    Carvalho
    Evra

Essien
    Mascherano

Gerrard
    Fabregas
    Ronaldo

Torres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You have Fabregas is a horrible position there Tusky.

He played in a similar position for Spain in the Euros and was shíte in that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cech

Brown
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Evra

Gerrard

Ronaldo
    Fabregas
    Young

Rooney

Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

..................Cech
    Sagna....Vidic....Ferdinand...Evra
    .................Essien
    .........Fabregas.....Deco
    Ronaldo....................Rooney
    ................Drogba

Des wrote: »
    You have Fabregas is a horrible position there Tusky.

He played in a similar position for Spain in the Euros and was shíte in that match.

Cech

Sagna
    Ferdinand----Carvaliho
    Evra

Mascherano---Essien

Fabregas

----Gerrard
    Ronaldo----

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Given
    --Hutton--Ferdinand--Carvalho---Evra-
    Essien----Gerrard
    --Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Young--
    Torres

Anyone that leaves out Ferdinand or Gerrard are insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

--Given--

--Sagna ----Terry----Ferdinand----Evra

---Ronaldo---Essien----Lampard----Gamt Pederson

---Rooney
    Torres---

How Gerrard gets on these teams I've never know..he must be the most over-rated player (by himself as well).
    I'd pick Fat Frankie :D any day over him. At least Lampard is in the game from start to finish...not picking his nose for 4/5's of the match and popping up to score a goal now and then.sure it might be a winning goal and he makes a habit of it but damnit Gerrald..a soccer match is 90 mins not 10 mins.

Also I'm 50/50 between Pederson and Joe Cole..I like both players but think Pederson just shades it consistently wise

How Gerrard gets on these teams I've never know..he must be the most over-rated player (by himself as well).

Gerrard 07/08

Appearances: 48
    Goals: 22
    Assists: 19

Rooney 07/08

Appearances: 43
    Goals: 18
    Assists:14

Its not rocket science :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

oof, do I smell a "<insertManUplayer> is better than <insertPoolplayer>" argument coming on...?

oof, do I smell a "<insertManUplayer> is better than <insertPoolplayer>" argument coming on...?

Pennant is better than Ronaldo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Trilla wrote: »

Given
    --Hutton--Ferdinand--Carvalho---Evra-
    Essien----Gerrard
    --Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Young--
    Torres

Anyone that leaves out Ferdinand or Gerrard are insane
    I'd say the same about Fabregas tbh.

Cech

-- Sagna -- Ferdinand -- Carvalho -- Clichy

Essien ---- Fabregas

Gerrard -- Rooney --- Ronaldo

Torres

• Advertisement

I'd pick Fat Frankie :D any day over him. At least Lampard is in the game from start to finish...not picking his nose for 4/5's of the match and popping up to score a goal now and then.sure it might be a winning goal and he makes a habit of it but damnit Gerrald..a soccer match is 90 mins not 10 mins.

Interesting that you decry Gerrard because apparently he does nothing for 89 minutes - then debate between picking The Ped or Joe Cole for the left!! Though I guess the irony of that is lost on you.

In any case, Gerrard brings a much greater influence to games than just his goals. He is involved in much of Liverpool's attacking moves to some degree; he is an athletic presence defensively; he covers a lot of ground during games. And he has popped up with so many crucial goals and assists at this stage - that even that contribution alone would be enough to have him the conversation.

He isn't Roy Keane. But he is a lot more than a prima donna who struts around and takes a few shots towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Cech

Richards
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Clichy

Essien

Ballack
    Fabregas

Ronaldo
    Young

Torres
    I agree with this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Given

Richards
    Carvalho
    Vidic
    Evra

Essien
    Fabregas

Gerrard
    Rooney
    Ronaldo----

Torres

Edit: Shit, i forgot to put Rooney in there..

ibh wrote: »

Given

Richards
    Carvalho
    Vidic
    Evra

Essien
    Fabregas

Gerrard
    Ronaldo

Torres

Well, if you have to start with just 10 players that is a good one I'll agree. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Cech

Sagna
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Clichy

Essien

Lampard
    Fabregas

Ronaldo
    Downing

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

van der Sar

-Sagna---Toure---Vidic---Evra

Gerard
    Fabregas

Deco
    Ronaldo

Rooney

Drogba

I could put more lines in to spread it out more but I think you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Probably is a bit biased but anyway:

Reina
    Sagna---Carvalho
    Toure
    Clichy
    Mascherano

Fabregas
    Deco
    Gerrard
    cRonaldo
    Torres

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mayordenis wrote: »

Liverpool allow much less shots on goal than ANY other team in the league, which flatters Reina a bit. Hes a great keeper and winning the golden gloves three years in a row is a fantastic achievement, but I think hes over-rated by a lot of Liverpool fans.

Great keeper, but not the best in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Fair opinion I think the only ones who have that level of consistency though are Friedel, Given and Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm shocked that not more people have van der Sar in:confused:
    I think he has been outstanding for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Fair opinion I think the only ones who have that level of consistency though are Friedel, Given and Reina.

+1 - Was thinking of what keeper id put in and had rounded it down to those 3

No not exactly, everyone knows Rooney is quality, just comparing his stats to Rooney to show exactly why people don't believe Gerrard is ****e/overrated

Heres mine anyway -

Reina
    --Richards---Vidic---Carvalho---Evra--

Essien
    Fabregas
    --Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Young--

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool allow much less shots on goal than ANY other team in the league, which flatters Reina a bit. Hes a great keeper and winning the golden gloves three years in a row is a fantastic achievement, but I think hes over-rated by a lot of Liverpool fans.

Great keeper, but not the best in the league.

imo he is the best in the league, and has been since Cechs head injury, since then Cech has not been near the same keeper he was before.

using your logic, should we rubbish Ronaldos scoring record cause Utd attack more than any other team so get more shots off? or because he is exempt of any defensive duties on the pitch?

of course not.

my team.

Reina

-Sagna--Ferdinand-Carvalhio-Evra
    ----mascherano--fabregas

ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Cole---
    Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm shocked that not more people have van der Sar in:confused:
    I think he has been outstanding for United.

No way. That's gas. No way he's the best in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cech

Richards
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Clichy

Essien

Ballack
    Fabregas

Ronaldo
    Young

Torres

I like this team. With Evra ahead of Clichy.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    imo he is the best in the league, and has been since Cechs head injury, since then Cech has not been near the same keeper he was before.

using your logic, should we rubbish Ronaldos scoring record cause Utd attack more than any other team so get more shots off? or because he is exempt of any defensive duties on the pitch?

of course not.

my team.

Err, no. Put it this way (the statistics below are just an example)

Lets say-

Liverpool allow 100 shots on goal in a season. Reina saves 50%. Liverpool concede 50 goals.

Manchester Utd allow 200 shot on goal in a season. Van Der Saar saves 70% of them. United concede 60 goals.

Because of this, Reina may have more clean sheets, but he has a much lower save perentage which flatters him. Its completely relevant.

Also, over 35% of your team is Liverpool players, dya not think you are letting the fact that you support them get in the way of your choices ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also United had far more clean sheets last season. The only reason VDS didn't get the gloves was because he was injuried for a couple of games. In terms of goals concedded per time on the pitch, VDS was top of the league.

That said, as I said I'm not basing my opinion just on last year. VDS is a choker, always has been. He didn't **** up last year, but he nearly did a couple of times. Reina is prone to the odd **** up as well, he has at least 4 or 5 throughout the season, not least when he comes for crosses, where he suffers from the same syndrome as Given, in that he often has no idea what he is doing, although his defence often bails him out.
    Cech for me is the most complete of them all. He had a troublesome last year, no doubt about that. But I feel he still was getting used to playing again, and the head injury no doubt affected his confidence. But I think I'd prefer him to all the keepers in the league.

Friedal, Given, James are all good shot stoppers, but they have it easy, they are constantly constantly challenged. A good shot stopper loves that. The real test of skill for a top class keeper is having to make one extremely difficult save a game and doing it, and then doing everything else right, no ****s up. Thats why top class keepers are in a league of their own, and why James and Friedal looked so good when they left a top club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Cech

Carvalho
    Vidic
    Rio
    Clichy

Ronaldo
    Essien
    Fabregas
    Nasri---

Berbatov
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Can we stop picking players out of position!

Carvalho at right full, in all fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

zAbbo wrote: »
    Can we stop picking players out of position!

Carvalho at right full, in all fairness...

He has played in that position, very well too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Given
    Richards---Vidic---Ferdinand---Evra
    Fabregas----Essien
    Gerrard
    Rooney
    Ronaldo
    Torres

I'd rather not have 3 of the Man Utd back 4, but in my opinion, they're the best in the world at the moment so I couldn't say no :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Cech
    Sagna---Vidic---Ferdinand---Evra
    Fabregas----Essien
    Ronaldo
    Deco
    Petrov
    Adebayor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cech

Richards----Ferdinand---Carvalho
    Evra

Essien

Fabregas
    Gerrard

----Ronaldo
    Rooney--

Torres

Thread Over.

Richards at right back to add a balance to the attacking threat of Evra, Bosingwa and Sagna deserve consideration here too. Evra gets the nod ahead of Clichy and Ashley Cole
    Ferdinand and Carvalho are the two best centre halves in the league. Toure, Terry, Carragher and Vidic unlucky to lose out. Essien over Mascherano but its a close one. Gerrard and Fabregas get the nod over Ballack and Deco as a) Ballack is a **** and b) Deco wouldnt offer the work rate of the other two. Anderson deserves some consideration here. Ronaldo cannot be debated. Rooney here would have a greater attacking licence than at United, Ashley Young also an option here. Having Essien & Fabregas & Gerrad behind him is bound to fill him with more confidence than Carrick & Hargreaves & Anderson. Torres has to be the striker although in top form and without his attitude Drogba would almost shade it. Berbatov on form and Adebayor would be close too if he gave up that annoying praying and dance when he comes on the field or scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool allow 100 shots on goal in a season. Reina saves 50%. Liverpool concede 50 goals.

Manchester Utd allow 200 shot on goal in a season. Van Der Saar saves 70% of them. United concede 60 goals.

Because of this, Reina may have more clean sheets, but he has a much lower save perentage which flatters him. Its completely relevant.

But using the same logic, if Utd have 200 shots on target and Ronaldo scores 42 goals-and Blackburn have 100 shots on target and Santa Cruz gets 25 goals, is Santa Cruz better than Ronaldo?

I would deem the fact that Liverpool have less shots on target as a compliment to the way Reina marshells his defence and plays at times almost as a sweeper keeper. combined with his excellent distribution, this is why i rate him as the top goalie in the league since the decline of peter cech. keeping more clean sheets than any other keeper for the last 3 seasons is not the sole reason i view him as being the best.
    Also, over 35% of your team is Liverpool players, dya not think you are letting the fact that you support them get in the way of your choices ?

Gerrard-everyone knows why he is there and only an idiot would argue
    Torres-Everyone knows why he is there and only an idiot would argue
    Mascherano-regarded by many as in the top 1/2 in his position in the world
    Reina-I've already explained i view him as the top goalie in England

Also United had far more clean sheets last season. The only reason VDS didn't get the gloves was because he was injuried for a couple of games. In terms of goals concedded per time on the pitch, VDS was top of the league.

how many league games did VDS miss, i thought it was only one or two?
    Reina is prone to the odd **** up as well, he has at least 4 or 5 throughout the season, not least when he comes for crosses, where he suffers from the same syndrome as Given, in that he often has no idea what he is doing, although his defence often bails him out.

4 or 5? little harsh, **** up against your lot at OT last year is the only one i can think of.

Then the one before that is Everton the season previous.

All keepers make mistakes, this is an inevitable fact. Wats important is how they can bounce back from them. Reina has shown he has great mental strenght.
    Friedal, Given, James are all good shot stoppers, but they have it easy, they are constantly constantly challenged. A good shot stopper loves that. The real test of skill for a top class keeper is having to make one extremely difficult save a game and doing it, and then doing everything else right, no ****s up. Thats why top class keepers are in a league of their own, and why James and Friedal looked so good when they left a top club.

Exactly, agree 100%.

see Carson at Charlton for another example-it will also be the biggest test Foster faces when/if he starts playing reg for Utd.

People rave about James now, and yes he is excellent, but when thinking about it logically, he still pretty much makes one bad **** up per game, for a top side this is too much. but after games his 5/6 great saves over shadow his one **** up, this does not work that way at a top club. and its why when i see James, i still see the same error prone, but yet undeniably talented keeper i did in his Liverpool days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Reina
    --Sagna---Vidic---Rio---Evra--

Essien
    Fabregas
    --Gerrard
    Rooney
    Ronaldo--

Torres

Mouth watering team imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    But using the same logic, if Utd have 200 shots on target and Ronaldo scores 42 goals-and Blackburn have 100 shots on target and Santa Cruz gets 25 goals, is Santa Cruz better than Ronaldo?

I would deem the fact that Liverpool have less shots on target as a compliment to the way Reina marshells his defence and plays at times almost as a sweeper keeper. combined with his excellent distribution, this is why i rate him as the top goalie in the league since the decline of peter cech. keeping more clean sheets than any other keeper for the last 3 seasons is not the sole reason i view him as being the best.

But thats not directly relevant. It doesnt really matter how many shots Utd get on target as a team. Its how many Ronaldo personally gets on target and ultimately, how many goals he scores.

With the keeper situation, it DOES matter because as he has to save those shots. Put it this way. Reina saves a lot less shots than Cech & Van Der Saar. One of the reasons he has so many clean sheets is because of the style of football that Liverpool play.

I still rate him in the top 3 or 4 keepers in England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol i agree but hes one of the better rb around aswel!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

CHD wrote: »
    lol i agree but hes one of the better rb around aswel!!

no he isn't. he has absolutely no positional sense for the job. he rushes oncoming wingers who then just skip past as he commits himself. As a right back he looks exactly what he is; out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Given

----Sagna--Vidic--Carvalho--Clichy---

Essien

Fabregas

--Ronaldo
    Young--
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

............Cech

Sagna..Rio..Vidic..Evra

......Essien..Fabregas

Gerrard....Rooney...Ronaldo

............Torres

EDIT: @ Im No Superman.... i didn't actually look at your team before posting mine, honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement