Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Select Top XI from the Premiership

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Doesn't seem to be many 4-4-2's here so I'll throw one out...

Cech

Sagna
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra--
    Ronaldo
    Fabregas----Essien----Young-

Torres
    Adebayor

Toss up between Young and Joe Cole.

Evra and Clichy, went with Evra cos he's able to cross the ball and Clichy's not.

Centre mid, 2 out of Gerrard, Fabregas, Essien. Left Gerrard out. Figure Essien is the excellent holding midfielder. Cesc the playmaker with the probing passes. What I'd want from a midfield pairing. Plenty of goals on the wing from Ronaldo anyway.

Adebayor... couldn't really think of anybody else. I don't rate Rooney all that highly as an out and out striker, which is what I was going for there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tauren wrote: »
    ............Cech

Sagna..Rio..Vidic..Evra

......Essien..Fabregas

Gerrard....Rooney...Ronaldo

............Torres

EDIT: @ Im No Superman.... i didn't actually look at your team before posting mine, honest.
    Great minds and all that..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Reina
    --Sagna---Vidic---Rio---Evra--

Essien
    Fabregas
    --Gerrard
    Rooney
    Ronaldo--

Torres

Mouth watering team imo.

Fabregas isn't a holding midfielder and Gerrard can't play on the right.

Don't pick the best players on paper. Pick the best ones in their best positions or leave them out;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SantryRed wrote: »

Don't pick the best players on paper. Pick the best ones in their best positions or leave them out;):p

I disagree (i have picked the same formation)

Fabregas isn't being deployed as a holding DM - he is playing CM with Essien beside him. The same way United played Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez as an attacking 4 at times last season with Scholes (Fabregas role) and another midfielder behind them.

As for Gerrard, imo some of his best stuff over the last few years has come when he has been given a 'free' role on th eright side of the attacking midfield 3, with the freedom to move around (and he would do, swapping positions with Ronnie and Rooney through the match)

IMO, the players have been picked as not only being the best, but fitting into the team unit for a good balance.

Essien is my holding midfielder and Gerrard had one of his most productive seasons with Liverpool playing on the right. :P

The trio of Gerrard, Rooney and Ronaldo would have the freedom to interchange positions anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Essien is my holding midfielder and Gerrard had one of his most productive seasons with Liverpool playing on the right. :P

The trio of Gerrard, Rooney and Ronaldo would have the freedom to interchange positions anyways.

:D

Great minds and all that...

Tauren wrote: »
    I disagree (i have picked the same formation)

Fabregas isn't being deployed as a holding DM - he is playing CM with Essien beside him. The same way United played Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez as an attacking 4 at times last season with Scholes (Fabregas role) and another midfielder behind them.

As for Gerrard, imo some of his best stuff over the last few years has come when he has been given a 'free' role on th eright side of the attacking midfield 3, with the freedom to move around (and he would do, swapping positions with Ronnie and Rooney through the match)

IMO, the players have been picked as not only being the best, but fitting into the team unit for a good balance.
    Tauren get out of my head!! :eek:

Well then. You should of said that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

That bit made me laugh... 20 odd goals from the right, albeit not as a traditional winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Since when has Essien been a DMF? I've ALWAYS looked at him as a CMF... Makelele was the destroyer while Essien was the perfect mix of grit for winning the ball back and then bombing forward towards the opposition goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gerrard can't play on the right.

Rofl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have you ever watched a game of football in your life?
    If yes is the answer, take off the goggles next time;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not enough width in that imo.

Ronaldo does provide width, but he cuts in also. Ronaldo is much much more effective on the right, as it leads him to be more of a team player (when he plays on the left, he cuts in to shoot nearly every time) Gerrard cuts in all the time.

2 wingers is the way to go, and just pick between Gerrard and Rooney. Or play

---Ronaldo----Gerrard----Rooney--

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you ever watched a game of football in your life?
    If yes is the answer, take off the goggles next time;)

What? Your telling me Fabregas is a Holding midfielder?

And Gerrard is no where near as effective on the right. Ronaldo would be the only one giving any bit of width in that team aswell.

What? Your telling me Fabregas is a Holding midfielder?

And Gerrard is no where near as effective on the right. Ronaldo would be the only one giving any bit of width in that team aswell.
    No, I did not say he was a holding midfielder, but he would be able to play it if necessary.
    Nearly as effective relative to what? His own performances in midfield or somebody else performing on the right?

• Advertisement

No, I did not say he was a holding midfielder, but he would be able to play it if necessary.
    Nearly as effective relative to what? His own performances in midfield or somebody else performing on the right?

What? He played there for Spain in the Euros and was muck! Mascherano should be there.

Yes, his performances in centre midfield. He's much better there.
    In that team which was posted. Young would be a much better option. Offering width. And a cross on the ball. INstead of everything going straight down the middle.

What? He played there for Spain in the Euros and was muck! Mascherano should be there.

Yes, his performances in centre midfield. He's much better there.
    In that team which was posted. Young would be a much better option. Offering width. And a cross on the ball. INstead of everything going straight down the middle.
    I'd have Cesc ahead of Mascherano any day on that team, because he can play the holding type role if necessary and his creative ability makes him a must play also. Regardless of what you think of his performances at Euro 2008 he was on the winning team. And he also made the Uefa team for that championship.
    And Gerard has been played on the right and won matches almost on his own from there.

I'd have Cesc ahead of Mascherano any day on that team, because he can play the holding type role if necessary.

No way, not if he's gonna be playing there. It's rediculous just because one players better than another you put him in the team even though that's not his position and it is Mascheranos.

Did he really make the UEFA team? Because when he played there for Spain in the Euros he was terrible.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Strangely large amount of agreement on the teams, particularly on the front 6! (SantryRed excepted)

The Essien/Fabregas partnership would be unbelievable. They’d be the perfect combination to dominate midfield, leaving Rooney, Ronaldo and Gerrard to float around behind Torres and cut any defence to shreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

reina

richards--ferdinand-carvalho--clichy

mascherano

fabregas

ronaldo
    gerrard
    rooney

torres

couple of close calls there ferdinand or vidic, clichy or evra very very close, fabregas or essien and rooney, cole or young.

BTW has anyone got the stats that liverpool have less shots against than other team etc.????

• Advertisement
Advertisement