Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Someone hit my car then drove off!!!

Options
  • 26-08-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Yesterday evening i was sitting in my room watching TV, when i heard a big bang outside, i got up to see what it was. Some man drove his car into the side off my car, got out checked his car and drove off. I went out to check the car and the rear bumper was hit, kind of cracked and a big scratch just behind the rear wheels where impact was made.

Luckily enough my girlfriend was near by with a pen and jotted down the number plate. We rang the garda who came and said they will get in touch with the owner. They said this could be classed as a hit and run job,i just want it repaired.

What i want to know is has this happened anyone else and what can realistically be done about this situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Has happened to my brother, your man was caught and had to fork out, he was also charged for not reporting the accident. If your man is caught in your case you should bring your car to a main dealer and get the best possible quote and hit him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Any idea how long it will take for the garda to contact the person, and sort out the mess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

What a scumbag !!!! ..hope they catch him . Gaurds should be able to get his name and address from their pulse system nearly straight away. Dont know how fast they would be on following it up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

I agree with Barr that the guy is pretty low. I can't imagine just driving off after damaging someone's car or property, of course people do it everyday though.

I would definitely follow up with the garda in a day or two if you haven't heard anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The cops should have information within days as they take hit & runs very serious, if it goes to court it could take months. Your man might try to get a quick patch up done on his car, ie try to hide any evidence such as paint marks from your car etc, It is worth while looking around the area for broken lenses, plastic work etc on the ground from his car, this is what nailed the guy that hit my brothers van. You can also claim for the use of a hired car or taxis while your car is being repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure to notify your insurance company of the situation.

It is possible this guy has no insurance or tax making him more difficult to track him down.

There is some of his cars paint on my car, would that be enough. Also we took a picture for evidence if needed.

If i havent heard from the garda tomorrow i will ring them and see what the story is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bazz26 wrote: »
    Make sure to notify your insurance company of the situation.

It is possible this guy has no insurance or tax making him more difficult to track him down.

makes no difference if they guy has no tax or insurance the reg plate will lead the cops to the registered owner.

happened to my mate last year, a woman reversed into his car while he was in work. he ran out after her but she teared away up the road but he got her reg plate.

rang the guards, gave the details etc etc

then guards then knocked on the womens door and gave her my mates details and told her to contact him ASAP to arrange for his car car to be fixed or they would be prosecuting (sp) her for damage, failing to report and accident, leaving the scene of an accident etc etc

he got sorted out in full after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sounds exactly what happened to me last Wednesday. You are lucky, I didn't see the car that did the damage. I'm now left with a ~€200 bill for repair. Read all about it here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361234

Now some metal sign has ruined a nearly new tyre, herself drove over the sign & now my tyre is a write off too.:(

rebel.ranter your story sounds exactly the same as mine. Lucky i got the reg plate otherwise id be screwed.

Hate to say it but, if these guys can drive off from a car accident would they drive off if they hit a person / child and its a scary thought but they obviously have no morals. Hope the guards get it sorted though.

bazz26 - do i need to contact my insurance, i thought it would be him that needs to contact his?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AdrianII wrote: »
    bazz26 - do i need to contact my insurance, i thought it would be him that needs to contact his?

Not trying to scare you but there is a chance that this guy is not insured and that is why he took off.

I would inform my insurance company of the situation anyway. You are not making a claim at this stage but just to have the incident of your car being damaged by another driver who took off, on record with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,919 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bazz26 wrote: »
    You are not making a claim at this stage but just to have the incident of your car being damaged by another driver who took off, on record with them.

+1 for this, and you may also find the other parties insurer are uncommunicative until your insurer gives them a poke - had to get this done before, after my insurance firm phoned up to 'make the claim' and give me the number Zurich would talk to me, before that I "wasn't a customer"!

Advertisement