Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording sports

• 26-08-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a camcorder for recording sports (athletics) so that I can slice and dice later for coaching purposes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase or whether its not the camcorder that matters but the software.

I'd hope to be able to record and later break it down to do as much analysis as possible. Record times from the recording, review two different recordings at same time, morph (is that the right term) so that you can see an athlete in several stages before they long jump for example and each image stays on screen. Is there a package/camera that can give you this? Also, what kind of budget would we be talking about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joe.inom

Afcourse man it depends on the camera , that is ho wmuch ever teh camcorder is with its megapixels and the frames per second , the most clarity and the most slicing and scraping work wwill be done.
    For ecxample take the 8 megapixel camera , that will capture more amount of details in the picturae than a 2 megapixel camera , thus cropping and slicing be more confident in 8 megapixel camera.
    Software is not that much of a conceren.

San Diego Home Insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

joe.inom wrote: »
    Afcourse man it depends on the camera , that is ho wmuch ever teh camcorder is with its megapixels and the frames per second , the most clarity and the most slicing and scraping work wwill be done.
    For ecxample take the 8 megapixel camera , that will capture more amount of details in the picturae than a 2 megapixel camera , thus cropping and slicing be more confident in 8 megapixel camera.
    Software is not that much of a conceren.

what a load of horse****. the resolution will depend on what format he's shooting in and it's a fixed size. so if he soots hdv it will be 1440x1080. shooting at standard def - 720x576.

but to be honest i don't think you've got a clue what you're talking about and are more interested with spamming the board with your home insurance link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

You'd pick up a sony minidv cam nowadays for €200-€300, which would give a decent picture quality. Then you'd need a firewire card on your computer to connect the cam and capture the video with whatever video editing software your using. These cams use small minidv video tapes.

You could go the digital route with SD or Hard Drive cams which store the files digitally and then you just copy the files through a usb cable. you'd need plenty of hard Disk space to store these files.

For software do a search in google for "sports analysis software"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

okee wrote: »
    You'd pick up a sony minidv cam nowadays for €200-€300, which would give a decent picture quality. Then you'd need a firewire card on your computer to connect the cam and capture the video with whatever video editing software your using. These cams use small minidv video tapes.

You could go the digital route with SD or Hard Drive cams which store the files digitally and then you just copy the files through a usb cable. you'd need plenty of hard Disk space to store these files.

For software do a search in google for "sports analysis software"

Thanks, thats been helpfull and I have found some packages with entry level stuff that seems to have all that I'm looking for so I'll have a look into it.

Advertisement