Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private Clampers!!

Options
  • 26-08-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have heard that there is no law to stop anyone from cutting off a private clamp. By private clamp I mean in an apartment block, office block, retail carpark or pub carpark. (not a city council clamp, thats criminal damage)

I once saw a tv show from the UK that featured a guy called 'Mr Clamp'. If somebody got clamped they would ring him and he would cut the clamp off for a fraction of the price.

I would love to know your views on the above matter.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This is my understanding of it private clamping:

If you're clamped on private ground it's a civil rather than criminal matter, so the Gardai won't get involved.

If the clampers are acting with the authority of the land owner, then they are allowed to clamp you. If you feel you've been incorrectly clamped you need to follow their appeals procedure rather than removing the clamp yourself.

If they have the authority to clamp you and you damage their clamp in the process of removing it they would be allowed to pursue you legally for damaging their property. For this they would be able to get the Gardai involved. I believe this would be criminal damage (whether on private or public land, you're still wilfully damaging another's property).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - if someone impeded your access by parking beside your vehicle, would you think it would be criminal damage to cut up their car? Hypothetical I know, but the principle is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's interferring with a mans automobile, for me it's a call to Sam Hire rather than a call to the private clampers should they clamp herself :D.

In Scotland all clamping is illegal, public and private.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you can remove it without damaging the clamp, there's sweet **** all they can do. On some cars if you let the tyre down, you can get the clamp off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

AudiChris wrote: »

If the clampers are acting with the authority of the land owner, then they are allowed to clamp you.
    Not true, it is all based on the law of contract. The driver has to see and agree to a contract which terms are contained in a sign. Also any sign must be large enough to be read easily and be posted at the entrance.
    If you feel you've been incorrectly clamped you need to follow their appeals procedure rather than removing the clamp yourself.
    ROFFLE!
    You seriously believe that a private clamper will have a honest and impartial appeals process. There is no appeals process. You would have to sue the clamper and or the landowner in court.
    If they have the authority to clamp you and you damage their clamp in the process of removing it they would be allowed to pursue you legally for damaging their property. For this they would be able to get the Gardai involved. I believe this would be criminal damage (whether on private or public land, you're still wilfully damaging another's property).
    That is true, but is a scum bag private clamper going to bother?
    Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    It's interferring with a mans automobile, for me it's a call to Sam Hire rather than a call to the private clampers should they clamp herself :D.

Correct. It is always advisable to carry a bolt cutters in the boot for such eventualities.
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    If you can remove it without damaging the clamp, there's sweet **** all they can do. On some cars if you let the tyre down, you can get the clamp off.
    Correct. If you can get the clamp off without causing damage there is very little they can do. :D

• Advertisement

Yes, you'd have to be advised clamping is in force and under what circumstances you'll be clamped before they could enfore it. I took that bit for granted.

No, I don't know what the appeals process is, but I'd bet it includes something like paying the fee first and then asking for a refund based on the circumstances and escalating to legal means if unsuccessful. It's a process to appeal.
    Not all clampers are cowboys, even if they are overzealous and we don't agree with their tactics.

If you damage their property, expect to be exposed to legal ramifications. If you think they're scum for clamping you, wait until they sue for loss of earnings, replacement charges etc.

By private clamper, I presumed the OP meant a non-public clamper, including the likes of NCPS, rather than the cowboys you see on "Britain's Worst Clampers" on Sky One.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you damage their property, expect to be exposed to legal ramifications. If you think they're scum for clamping you, wait until they sue for loss of earnings, replacement charges etc.

Any idiot can sue. Being successful is another matter.

I have extensive experience of dealing with rogue clampers. And actually most of them in Ireland are UK imports. Things got too hot there so they set up shop here.

It is naive to think there is an appeals process. Of course you have pay first. Any "appeal" will be met with a standard template letter if they even bother to respond at all.
    Unless you engage in self help measures ( remove the clamp yourself) the only option is court and a clamper is not an easy person to sue.

Have a read of http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Ok so, my main point to the OP was "no, it's not legal to damage other people's property, even if your name is Mr Clamp". The rest was to try and be helpful.

I don't expect a fair appeals process (and I haven't been treated fairly by the public clampers either when I've appealed).

Removing the clamp through damage = illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So who's to say you were the person who damaged the clamp ;)

Hey Bond, did you get my PM?

• Advertisement

I did. :)

I will get back to you shortly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cool thanks :)

I wonder could you get something fitted to your vehicle that would make sheet drop down to the ground everytime you park, blocking access to wheels and underneath your vehicle making clamping and lifting impossible without damaging the vehicle :)

Or just drive something with gigantic wheels/tyres so the clamp won't fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Or just not park illegally on private property? Or would that be too simple?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Anan1 wrote: »
    Or just not park illegally on private property? Or would that be too simple?;)

I was waiting for a comment like this.

Some developers don't adhere to the planning they were granted in the first place, so while the residents and the local council are struggling slowly through the high courts to remedy/rectify this the locals residents have to tolerate this legal clamping, the proceeds of which go straight into the pockets of the developer who is causing the problem in the first place.

So a smart comment like yours, whilst on the face of it, is common sense, it's not really a practical solution if you are trying to live in an area that has private clamping and insufficient parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If it was illegal parking then Gardaí or Traffic wardens would ticket you or tow you away.

let the landowner make a criminal complaint and secure a conviction, this would be illegal parking.

Victor_M wrote: »
    I was waiting for a comment like this.

Some developers don't adhere to the planning they were granted in the first place, so while the residents and the local council are struggling slowly through the high courts to remedy/rectify this the locals residents have to tolerate this legal clamping, the proceeds of which go straight into the pockets of the developer who is causing the problem in the first place.

So a smart comment like yours, whilst on the face of it, is common sense, it's not really a practical solution if you are trying to live in an area that has private clamping and insufficient parking!
    I'm not with you. Do you mean apartment complexes where people have paid for parking spaces? Or where they haven't? Or where? Surely if it's private property and it's not yours then you just can't park there without the owner's permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not with you. Do you mean apartment complexes where people have paid for parking spaces? Or where they haven't? Or where? Surely if it's private property and it's not yours then you just can't park there without the owner's permission?

Or developments with poorly marked and quite arbitrary no-parking areas? Or developments where the clampers will clamp a car if it's parked a 1mm where it shouldn't be?

Anyway, Captain Obvious' remarks aside, this was summed up in a previous thread by seamus, but I can't remember in which forum.

From what I can remember of the post, private clampers are not allowed to interfere with or detain your vehicle. You are within your rights to request they remove the clamp, and post you an invoice for any parking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eoin_s wrote: »
    Or developments with poorly marked and quite arbitrary no-parking areas? Or developments where the clampers will clamp a car if it's parked a 1mm where it shouldn't be?

Anyway, Captain Obvious' remarks aside, this was summed up in a previous thread by seamus, but I can't remember in which forum.

From what I can remember of the post, private clampers are not allowed to interfere with or detain your vehicle. You are within your rights to request they remove the clamp, and post you an invoice for any parking fees.

Your examples of private developements aside. Peoples general view of all clampers is the same. I dont have a problem with clampers and have been clamped before. I parked without a pay and display ticket so it's my own fault.

I have to put up with retarded gimps who cant park everyday. I live in a cul de sac and at the bottom end of the road people from across the main road park along the path on one side of our street so that they dont have to park both cars in their own driveways and move them when someone wants to go out. The rest of the people on our road do the same. They also park directly opposite ech other about 2 feet from the kerb, effectivly blocking the road.

At the end of the day, a good percentage of people are ignorant and just dont care about others ( this is whoely evident on the m50 where the traffic is at a standsill and tails back for 2 or 3 miles till just after the ballymount on ramp because the road goes down to 2 lanes and none of the absolute **** on the road want to give way to each other, I doubt any of them know the meaning of the word filter) and as a result I have little regard and even less sympathy for people who get clamped as a result.

I'd love it if this were defo true. Was it a thread started by Seamus or do you know another way to find it?

• Advertisement

Search for clampers in Legal Discussion.

The view there is very different to moral high horse brigades view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd love it if this were defo true. Was it a thread started by Seamus or do you know another way to find it?

No, he replied to an existing thread Chris - I think it was in the last couple of weeks or so - but can't remember the forum it was in.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Your examples of private developements aside. Peoples general view of all clampers is the same. I dont have a problem with clampers and have been clamped before. I parked without a pay and display ticket so it's my own fault.

This thread is about private clampers, so setting aside opinions of clampers in private developments doesn't make sense. They are a law unto themselves, and any "appeals process" is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I have heard that there is no law to stop anyone from cutting off a private clamp. By private clamp I mean in an apartment block, office block, retail carpark or pub carpark. (not a city council clamp, thats criminal damage)

I once saw a tv show from the UK that featured a guy called 'Mr Clamp'. If somebody got clamped they would ring him and he would cut the clamp off for a fraction of the price.

I would love to know your views on the above matter.

Thanks

Untested area but I've done it three times, (on two occasions I recovering the vehicle back to my garage and then removing the clamping device, on one occasion I took it off where it was), and haven't had to pay out or take a hit yet. I'll concede that on every occasion I've had a visit from the Gardai, answer was on every occasion, "Look, it's a civil matter". Having said that, I'm a little more combative than most, on one of these occasions, an inspector was called and on another, a superintendent arrived. It could have gone the other way and I'd have been taken away in handcuffs. My understanding after getting to the debate is that there is no legal basis whatsoever for private clamping.

Apparently there is no legal difference at the present between someone robbing your alloys and putting a clamp on your car in a private place...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Or just drive something with gigantic wheels/tyres so the clamp won't fit!

Wasn't that the reason for Mr. Ronan getting his Hummer H1? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

Being happy is illegal in Scotland:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭legalbird12

Thanks guys some great points made. God help them when they coem near my car again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

cormie wrote: »
    cool thanks :)

I wonder could you get something fitted to your vehicle that would make sheet drop down to the ground everytime you park, blocking access to wheels and underneath your vehicle making clamping and lifting impossible without damaging the vehicle :)

Just buy a Citroen Xantia and drop the suspension to the lowest level. They won't get a standard clamp under the wheelarch. :D

None of this addresses my point, eoin_s. If someone owns property, should they or should they not be allowed to dictate who parks on it? If it helps, try thinking of your front garden. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

None of this addresses my point, eoin_s. If someone owns property, should they or should they not be allowed to dictate who parks on it? If it helps, try thinking of your front garden. :-)

No. If you have an open area without any warning signs or fence, then irrespective of the legal ownership it is a public place.

If you have a front garden, without a wall, and without a warning sign, then it would essentially be illegal for you to clamp someone in that garden.

• Advertisement

And therein lies the problem.

Advertisement