Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your sources?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

The tone of this site regarding the US presidential election is interesting to say the least. Where do most of you get your sources of information which helps to guide your opinion on the US election?

For me:

Television: Primarily FoxNews and CNN, and sometimes MSNBC (MSLSD) for laughs.

Online: Drudge Report, Breibart, The New York Times & International Herald Tribune, CNN, WSJ, Newsmax, but the best source which addresses some of the most pointed factors shaping the election (and is pretty much unbiased) for me is Politico.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pretty much the same sources as you.. Google news mainly and read across multiple sites.

I then go to the "horses mouth". For example Obama has a site that clarifies stories said about him. Either pointing them out to be BS or explaining the fact rather then rewrites for shock and awe.

http://factcheck.barackobama.com/

Haven't found one for McCain, if you know of it post it please.

Lastly I also read http://loc.gov/ when a bill is mentioned.

There is no such as an unbiased news site.

I only really watch Fox News when the daily show is not on, as it is the second best comedy show out there (certainly is not a news station).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Do you mean... http://www.factcheck.org/ ? That's the one I check.

"I only really watch Fox News when the daily show is not on, as it is the second best comedy show out there (certainly is not a news station)."
    Touché!

(I really got to figure out how you all do that quote thingy)

Nope wasn't that site but thanks for that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lolz fox news could never be considered a source. I read either the guardian or independent, thats my primary source of news. Online I pick and choose what links to view, I have no allegiences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Primarily FoxNews

That station is hilarious. The reason i think that they are the [roll the drums] Most watched cable News Network that leaves all others trailing in the shadow of our $hit[end drums] is that so many tune in just to entertain themselves. Its definately not news.

Me its bbc.co.uk for standard news stuff.

Anythng American I go to realclearpolitics.com and CNN, TV is CNN again as i dont have sky. I think that stuff is straight down the middle.

BBC News for more domestic stuff. Cant stand sky and its melodrama.

I read the Sunday times for more of the international scene. I split my time between the Examiner and the Irish Times when it comes to more local news.

Anybody see this http://www.borowitzreport.com/index.aspx :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    The tone of this site regarding the US presidential election is interesting to say the least. Where do most of you get your sources of information which helps to guide your opinion on the US election?

For me:

Television: Primarily FoxNews and CNN, and sometimes MSNBC (MSLSD) for laughs.

Online: Drudge Report, Breibart, The New York Times & International Herald Tribune, CNN, WSJ, Newsmax, but the best source which addresses some of the most pointed factors shaping the election (and is pretty much unbiased) for me is Politico.

i watch more Fox News than CNN - it doesn't form my opinions, but it's entertaining. CNN just doesn't strike me as being a heavyweight anymore. Their election night coverages, when they roll out the big guns are pretty good. But their normal nightly fare is weak.

Enjoy watching some of the pundits on Fox and have a grudging respect for a few of them.

i also read the Washington Post as often as i can and look to BBC News for breaking news stories. The Irish media seems to be a bit retarded when it comes to the US election. RTÉ's Robert Short is particularly useless - not a patch on Mark Little or Carol Coleman. BBC's Newsnight is good.

The print media is always out of date for these types of stories, so i don't bother. However i do read The Economist and TIME weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The best thing of recent vintage from Fox was the Barack/Michelle fist-pump: 'What is that? A closed-fist handshake? A terrorist fist jab?'

Classic fox.

Back on topic: realclearpolitics.com and rasmussenreport.com onlinewould be two major sourcews that I'd check daily, and then CNN. [Ron Paul related Fox news boycott in operation] But there are loads of other sites I'd run by to clear something up.

banquo wrote: »
    The best thing of recent vintage from Fox was the Barack/Michelle fist-pump: 'What is that? A closed-fist handshake? A terrorist fist jab?'

The daily show comment was funnier. Michelle gave a fist bump to all the presenters on the view and Jon response was "And that was the day the presenters of the view became terrorists". :D

That reporter lost her show in the same week, although Fox claim it wasn't because of that.

Advertisement