Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Eircom Wireless?????

Options
  • 26-08-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

I recently got eircom home broadband and now want to connect it to a second computer in my home. I've considered running a network cable from the second computer to the router but I'm not keen on the work involved in doing so. Thats where wireless comes in. The router is a Netopia 2247nwg and I'm not sure what capabilities the second computer would have over a wireless connection to this router. I know there are different standards for speed and range. I presume the router I have supports "G" but i don't think the second computer would be capable of such activities as video streaming over this speed or would it? Would the router support a wireless adapter with the N standard??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

tvercetti wrote: »
    Would the router support a wireless adapter with the N standard??

A wireless adapter with 802.11n would be backwards compatible with 802.11g and would work with the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Spear wrote: »
    A wireless adapter with 802.11n would be backwards compatible with 802.11g and would work with the router.

Does that mean I'd only have G standard speeds with a N standard adapter. Do G standard Adapters have limited capabilities, i.e. No Video Streaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

tvercetti wrote: »
    Does that mean I'd only have G standard speeds with a N standard adapter. Do G standard Adapters have limited capabilities, i.e. No Video Streaming

Yes you will only have 'G' speeds. 802.11G will work fine with video streaming as long as its not HD then it gets a bit too much. Have you tried testing video streaming with the second PC yet?

Your Data Speed depends on how close you are to your wireless router and how many barriers are in between them. You should be able to stream video wirelessly with 802.11G. Just make sure you have the wireless card in your second PC supporting 802.11G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I haven't actually got a wireless card yet. So if I get a G standard wireless card for the second PC, would there be a noticeable difference in speed between the two PC's or no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

difference if they were wired vs wireless?

I can't tell, I dunno how far everything is in your place and if there are a load of walls. Best advice would be get someone that has a wireless laptop and try it out, then make a decision based on that

• Advertisement
Advertisement