Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A stadium modelled on a volcano?!?

• 26-08-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

275302402349bf487e46ovl3.jpg

2753856034b9aedb2979ozw7.jpg

Early next year Mexico’s Club Deportivo Guadalajara will be playing football in a brand new stadium which has been modelled on, of all things, a volcano. French architects Massaud decided, along with help from the Mexican FA, that they should highlight the El Templo Mayor’s ecological design by disguising it as a lava-spewing hill. How can that be done? First of all, the lower half of the stadium itself will be surrounded by an incline of grass, resulting in the pitch itself sitting within what seems to be an artificial hill.

The roof of the stadium, consisting of white fabric stretched over a steel frame, will form the cloud of smoke hovering above the volcano with relatively narrow column supports ensuring the cloud never gets too close. This roof will also serve as a gigantic projection screen, home to large-scale advertisements directed towards the picnicing families outside on the hill. The final part of the volcanic equation will be the seats, the majority of which will obviously be lava-red.

Can't exactly see the resemblence tbh, but it's a pretty cool idea none the less.

Btw, don't ask me why those two pictures aren't the same. I just caught it from a different forum. My guess is they're just two different possible designs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Theres gonna be hot atmosphere on the stadium:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm sure the place will errupt when the first goal is scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

mayordenis wrote: »
    I laughed at both :o:(

That does look unbelievable though. Cost a fair bit mind you.

Here it goes: I'm sure there will be plenty of scorching goals inside of it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Bet the atmosphere will be just bubbling under :D

Well you lot did start it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Would you people mind to go on that stadium?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mayordenis wrote: »
    You gotta lava those two puns!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What a magma-nimous gesture to the people of Guadalajara. In fact I can think of no crater gift to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm sure there will be plenty of scorching goals scored there in the coming seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

What a magma-nimous gesture to the people of Guadalajara. In fact I can think of no crater gift to the city.

dear god...

*wretches*

anyway, I really like the design, and i can certainly see the 'Volcano' in it. seats 45,500 apparently and will open in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

At least they'll save on under pitch heating.

(I know it's not a pun, but come on...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

here's hoping their first victory is by a landslide!...oh...bugger

/gets coat. leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

and when it's not in use they can hire it out to super villains to conduct their evil schemes!

drevil.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

volcanoar1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Volcano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

A new igneous themed stadium is great and all but won't supporters feel sedimental for the old place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just hope the fans' pashion for the team doesn't blind them to the club's ulterior motives here!

Sorry, I just had to vent.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

These aren't puns.

They're "Turbo Puns!!!!!"

Advertisement