Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof headwear for commuting?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend anything?

I recently bought a waterproof cycling jacket but it has no hood, which i dont mind cos i find hoods annoying anyway. But i do need something.

What do other people wear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

What do other people wear?
    A helmet. If i get wet I get wet. No big deal to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I have a bog standard cycling cap -keeps the rain off just fine. Can also be worn under a helmet... all you need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

a cap if it's really lashing just to keep the rain out of my eyes.
    Otherwise my head is waterproof enough and seen as I recently shaved my hair real tight all over I now have quick drying moisture wicking MicroClimate technology growing naturally on my head. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I wear a sort of waxed hat (not cap) the like of which you might find in Kilkenny Design or some other less-than-modish shop on Nassau street. Gives me a distinctly agricultural look but is 100% rainproof in even the worst weather and remains anchored to my skull by an elasticated internal headband in the strongest wind.

I have seen ads for what I believe are technically termed "sou'westers" on the Ortlieb website if you're more into that Killybegs harbour look.

I believe all the kids are the wearing them...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Well i dont wear a helmet and i reckon a cap on its own would look pretty stupid.

I just thought having something on would save me having to dry my hair when i get to work. Plus i wouldnt fancy not wearing anything on the days its lashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Well i dont wear a helmet and i reckon a cap on its own would look pretty stupid.

I just thought having something on would save me having to dry my hair when i get to work. Plus i wouldnt fancy not wearing anything on the days its lashing.

I don't wear a helmet either, and the hat does me just fine -though I don't care about looks too much :)

I've also got long hair, which I tuck into the cap on wet days -means I don't have to dry it when I get into work!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use hair. Lots of it.

Cycling caps have a long tradition well predating helmets mind, I wouldn't think they look particularly silly at all any more than anything on your head is going to look silly.

Do you really need waterproof headgear- are you of the female persuasion by any chance (if so, I take it back, clearly you need it :D)

cyclingcapgregg.jpg

Search on google images for "cycling cap" for more info :D

No, Im not of the female persuasion and i think your right, a cap would do fine. When caps were mentioned though i was thinking more of a skull cap which is really just like a swimming cap so thats why i said they might look silly.

But yeh, a cap is a good idea after all. Thanks.

Also, would i be right to presume that it'll be a lot cheaper for me to buy rain gear from Wiggle or Chain Reaction rather than from any bike shop in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

You would be.
    Also, would i be right to presume that it'll be a lot cheaper for me to buy rain gear from Wiggle or Chain Reaction rather than from any bike shop in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Generally yes, if the item is massively discounted (which they so often are, particularly at CRC.) If the item is "full" price there is not so much of a difference. CRC tends to be cheaper than Wiggle but Wiggle have good weekly offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Cycling caps are the business. Rapha's one is waterproof and sweat wicking, you oughter check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Nothing beats that Pink Cap/Freddie Mercury tash combo! mmmmm...Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you get wet you are more than likely going to have a shower at the end of it. I have a bit of a mop and I don't mind it getting wet, slick it back to keep the rain out of my eyes.

Most times I'm going so fast that I can dodge the rain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

The innovative man would line the inside of his helmet with cling film. Said innovative man would also have to have a degree of insanity to his character...nothing wrong with a pinch of insanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

kenmc wrote: »
    A helmet. If i get wet I get wet. No big deal to be honest

I'm the same. Helmet ftw! (yore ma agrees)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

When caps were mentioned though i was thinking more of a skull cap which is really just like a swimming cap so thats why i said they might look silly.

I wear a skull cap under the helmet when it gets proper cold. Probably would look silly without a helmet on top of it, but they are brilliantly comfortably snug.

Rain in the hair is less of a problem than rain in the eyes, for which the brim of a cap / visor of a helmet is really helpful.

Advertisement