Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavlyuchenko

Options
  • 26-08-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on Sky Sports website

Roman Pavlyuchenko has claimed that he is set to complete a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

The 26-year-old Russia international striker has been linked with a move to Spurs all summer.

Now it appears that the North London outfit have sealed a deal with his club Spartak Moscow.

Speaking to Uefa's Russian website, Pavlyuchenko confirmed he had not travelled with the rest of the Spartak squad for the second leg of their UEFA Champions League qualifier against Dynamo Kiev as he was finalising the details of his move to Spurs.

"I am back in Moscow and I will not play in Kiev, and I can confirm I am going to Tottenham," he told uefa.ru.

"I am waiting for a Visa and as soon as it is granted, I am ready to go to England and sign."

Pavlyuchenko revealed he was yet to discuss the move with Spurs boss Juande Ramos.

"Juande Ramos, I have not yet met, it seems like he will call me - but I know for sure he is very interested in my services," he continued.

No done deal
    Spartak spokesman Eduard Nisenboim has told the Russia media that the deal is not yet signed.

"I would prefer it if the deal was described as very close," said Nisenboim.

"At the moment the papers have not yet been signed - we have only reached a verbal agreement with the England club."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Lets hope it's true..

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

He's been top goalscorer in the Russian League for the last two seasons and a regular for the national side.

I'd be lying if I said I knew more about him but from what I've read I think he'd be a good buy although I'm not counting the chickens just yet. I'll wait until he's signed on the dotted line before I get more excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

KingdomYid wrote: »

Speaking to Uefa's Russian website, Pavlyuchenko confirmed he had not travelled with the rest of the Spartak squad for the second leg of their UEFA Champions League qualifier against Dynamo Kiev as he was finalising the details of his move to Spurs.

"I am back in Moscow and I will not play in Kiev, and I can confirm I am going to Tottenham," he told uefa.ru.

I wonder if he played in the first leg? If so, would that make him ineligible for Spurs UEFA Cup campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Interesting. Can't say I know much about him but he must be decent enough. Now for Arshavin!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stedub

i will take more to cheer me up after saturday but definetly a good buy, just read this on reuters. lets hope its true

MOSCOW, Aug 26 (Reuters) - Roman Pavlyuchenko is poised to join Tottenham Hotspur, the Russia striker said on Tuesday.

“I can confirm I’m joining (Spurs),” the Spartak Moscow player told local media. “Right now I’m getting my visa and as soon as it is ready I will fly to England to sign a contract.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Perhaps Levy and Commolli are eyeing a double swoop for the Russians.

Anyone worried about the fantasy football way we sign players though?
    We only seem to be interested in high profile 'buzz' players at top whack as opposed to actually employing a scouting network whereby we can sniff talent out before it hits the big stage and the back page.

We only seem to be interested in high profile 'buzz' players at top whack as opposed to actually employing a scouting network whereby we can sniff talent out before it hits the big stage and the back page.

Absolutely - where's our no nonsense, battling midfielder? Doesn't need to be fancy, or a big name, just good. Same with our defensive backup. We're signing all these attacking players, but nothing defensive seems to be coming our way, which is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

Hope it's true, we need two strikers up front.

Let hope the midfield can give them good service.

spurs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

worked for chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

ruiseal wrote: »
    I wonder if he played in the first leg? If so, would that make him ineligible for Spurs UEFA Cup campaign?

He did play in the first leg

http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/match?id=252055&league=UEFA.CHAMPIONS&cc=5739

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

IanCurtis wrote: »

His goal ratio is good. Hope he's not another rebrov though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Have'nt seen much of him to be honest , the Euro's apart, will reserve judgement. Still dont see any central midfielder or centre half being linked with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eiduap

I have seen him play against Kiev in the first league. Did not get a kick was shocking was even taken off.this a side Drogheda got 3 goals past.He was club captain but was only giving out to players around him reminded me of Berbs. Think it is a panic buy. Hope not.

Having his medical tomorrow apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eiduap wrote: »
    Think it is a panic buy. Hope not.

Been linked with him since the window opened, don't think is a Rasiak-type signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

not much news on this today. doesn't make a lot of sense to me, spending £14-£15 million on a player that would even be eligible to play in the UEFA Cup.

:confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Can't wait to get Pavlyuchenko in.....what odds on Huntalaar aswell (Daily Mail website today)....I know fantasy football but us Spurs fans are forever optimists !!!

Anyword on when Hutton is back ( to free up DZ to go back into midfield)

Philon

philon wrote: »
    what odds on Huntalaar aswell (Daily Mail website today)....I know fantasy football but us Spurs fans are forever optimists !!!

Cose to zero if we're honest.
    philon wrote: »
    Anyword on when Hutton is back ( to free up DZ to go back into midfield)

Philon

Injury timeframe is 6-7 weeks, not sure when the clock started ticking.

el diablo wrote: »
    not much news on this today. doesn't make a lot of sense to me, spending £14-£15 million on a player that would even be eligible to play in the UEFA Cup.

:confused:

They're after 4th place. The UEFA Cup's not really worth a sh1te - just ask Zenit Saint Petersburg, Sevilla or CSKA Moscow, the last three winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone think that £15 million is a bit steep for a player that is largely unproven, particulalry in light of what you sold Defoe for.

Anyone think that £15 million is a bit steep for a player that is largely unproven, particulalry in light of what you sold Defoe for.

I'm not that concerned Charlie, he scores goals at a rate of 1 in every 2 for Spartak and close to that rate for Russia. T'is a bit higher than I though we'd get him for (around the £12m mark) but if Ramos rates him then I'm happy we're prepared to pay the asking price.

I'm not that concerned Charlie, he scores goals at a rate of 1 in every 2 for Spartak and close to that rate for Russia. T'is a bit higher than I though we'd get him for (around the £12m mark) but if Ramos rates him then I'm happy we're prepared to pay the asking price.

Fair enough, but Stephane Guivarch and Sergei Rebrov had equally good scoring records before their respective moves to the EPL.

Playing devils advocate; Would you rather take Defoe back for 7; or plum for the pavster at 15.

Fair enough, but Stephane Guivarch and Sergei Rebrov had equally good scoring records before their respective moves to the EPL.

Playing devils advocate; Would you rather take Defoe back for 7; or plum for the pavster at 15.

Pompey wouldn't sell him for £7m.

Would depend on the formation, Defoe would be fcuked up front on his own. If we were definitely playing 4-4-2 I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

As an aside, I don't buy into the concept of relative values. Defoe going for £7m doesn't make the Russian at £15m a bad buy, just as I don't think Gareth Barry is worth £18m just because United paid £18.9m for Carrick.

Two factors influence the price paid, the selling clubs asking price and the buying clubs willingness to pay.

Pompey wouldn't sell him for £7m.

Would depend on the formation, Defoe would be fcuked up front on his own. If we were definitely playing 4-4-2 I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

As an aside, I don't buy into the concept of relative values. Defoe going for £7m doesn't make the Russian at £15m a bad buy, just as I don't think Gareth Barry is worth £18m just because United paid £18.9m for Carrick.

Two factors influence the price paid, the selling clubs asking price and the buying clubs willingness to pay.

All fair points.

We buy Robbie Keane for £7m and after a good few years service sell him for £19m. We bought Gazza for £2.3m and sold him for £5.5m to Lazio when his knee was fcuked.

The Bent deal was a bit strange granted but generally we don't get shafted that often and I'd fancy the likes of Nuuuucassel wanna look at their books a bit more carefully than the like of Spurs.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    We buy Robbie Keane for £7m and after a good few years service sell him for £19m. We bought Gazza for £2.3m and sold him for £5.5m to Lazio when his knee was fcuked.

The Bent deal was a bit strange granted but generally we don't get shafted that often and I'd fancy the likes of Nuuuucassel wanna look at their books a bit more carefully than the like of Spurs.

In fairness Rich...

Ruel Fox
    Andy Sinton
    Oyvind Leonhardsen
    Ben Thatcher
    Chris Perry
    Les Ferdinand
    etc etc

The 90s were hardly chck full of value for money at WHL.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I'd fancy the likes of Nuuuucassel wanna look at their books a bit more carefully than the like of Spurs.

Te Newcastle of yesteryear, yes, but as reckless pointed out, same goes for Spuds.

However, if Newcastle can be accussed of anything at the moment, it is being prudent in the market and signing quality players, not at an over inflated price.

Bentley or Modric for £35 million, or Guthrie and Spiderman for £6 million. I'll let you do the math.

A fair point however, completely different regime in control now days Ronan.

• Advertisement

Te Newcastle of yesteryear, yes, but as reckless pointed out, same goes for Spuds.

However, if Newcastle can be accussed of anything at the moment, it is being prudent in the market and signing quality players, not at an over inflated price.

Bentley or Modric for £35 million, or Guthrie and Spiderman for £6 million. I'll let you do the math.

Sure we'll see how things pan out come of the end of the season. I'm not one for maths but i fancy there will be a good 10 or more points between us come May 2009.

Advertisement