Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling Forum And The Issue With rovert

Options
  • 26-08-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

I may as well start this thread now. I'm sure there'll be many replies from the people involved

I'm not sure what the best way to explain this is but I'll give it a go. rovert is a poster on the Pro Wrestling board who other posters frequently get annoyed at. A lot of the things that they get annoyed about I don't consider to be wrong. rovert has done some stuff that I have considered to be wrong though, and he's been warned/infracted accordingly

As far as I can tell, people's issue with him started when he began asking for proof when others would post certain things. People would get annoyed because they didn't think that any proof was necessary because it was their opinion. I saw that differently though. I'll try give a typical example:

Johnny posts saying "Kane turning heel will really get people watching now". rovert asks for proof. Johnny says he doesn't need proof, it's his opinion. But the ratings for the shows show that Kane turning heel doesn't really interest the audience as less people are watching him. (I believe that an exchange just like that happened). I see nothing wrong with rovert asking for proof in that instance as he has the facts that suggest otherwise

rovert has only been posting for a few months but he is one of the more informed posters on the board

There are times when people call rovert up on a point where they perceive him to be wrong and a lot of others join in on it, dragging a thread off topic. I believe that rovert gets picked on much more than any others when saying something that people perceive to be wrong or rude

Admittedly I'm not around as much as I used to be when things begin to kick off. Neither am I the best mod around. The other mod, bombidol, is usually only around to deal with reported posts

I don't know what to expect from this thread but as I said, I'm sure there'll be some input
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rovert is the poster that keeps PW interesting lets be honest..He knows his stuff..He doesnt do anything wrong..It is others that drag threads off topic giving out about him basically because he has more knowledge about the business than him...Leave Rovert alone..You giving out about him are the people that ruin PW just to let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Repentant

Rovert <3

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fozzy wrote: »
    Admittedly I'm not around as much as I used to be when things begin to kick off. Neither am I the best mod around. The other mod, bombidol, is usually only around to deal with reported posts

Sounds like you need an extra mod there to me. If there are frequent "incidents" on a forum and there is consistently a lack of mods around to calm things down or censure posters, then it threatens to bring that forum into disrepute as it'll get a reputation for being a free for all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I noticed that too. The guy gets lambasted in there for his knowledge rather than thanked for it. I don't really like that TBH.
    Nice to see a mod starting a feedback thread on a forum he mods to try and improve things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Zaph wrote: »
    Sounds like you need an extra mod there to me. If there are frequent "incidents" on a forum and there is consistently a lack of mods around to calm things down or censure posters, then it threatens to bring that forum into disrepute as it'll get a reputation for being a free for all.

Nah, bombidol and Fozzy are doing a great job modding it, in fact Foz, to his credit has busted his balls on that forum since he took the position up a year ago.

Rovert is one of the more informed posters, but his negatives do outweigh his positives in mine, and a lot of the posters eyes. He doesn't just ask for "proof", he demands it. If anyone has an opinion, he shoots it down with fact. Facts are facts, which are fair enough, but in his short tenure on the PW forum, he has rubbed a lot of PW forum regulars up the wrong way. I'm one of the few that has him on ignore because i personally, could only tolerate so much.

I admit, i'm not saint on said forum, but when i was asked to tone my posts down by the mods, i'd no problem with it.

He also has a really annoying habit of using in jokes from another forum, and bringing them over, when not everyone is going to get them.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I think people got more annoyed with Roverts posting style in the beginning (short sentences, sometimes even just the word "proof?", and his directness) but I think that after a while some people started to get annoyed with him personally because they found him difficult to interact with. That and he showed up all of a sudden and started acting this way probably irked a few older posters and gave them a bad impression of him from the start.

He is clearly one of the most knowlegable people on the board when it comes to wrestling, but his posting style sometimes comes across as though he is not actually trying to discuss a subject, it appears more like he is dissecting it. He is trying to discuss things and is open to discussion, but he has a more analytic/scientific approach to things and other posters seem to have a problem understanding his point of view.

That is why when someone posts their opinion and he disagrees with them people get annoyed. They think he is just putting them down, he isn't, he is just saying that from his point of view, the one that he believes has examined the subject matter more completely their opinion is wrong or misguided. It also explains his constant requests for proof when people post unsourced articles or articles from sites that are reputedly unreliable.

It is a clash of positions between people just up for a bit of casual discussion and people who take a far more serious approach to the subject at hand. A bit more civility and patience on both sides and the whole thing would be nowhere near as much of an issue imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Just saw this thread on my travels and said I'd butt in! I was until about 2 weeks ago a regular contributor to the PW board, but since rovert joined I've just become frustrated by his incessant search for 'proof' and his one word replies e.g. "FALSE".
    I think Fozzy is doing a fair job handling the situation and I understand that while Bombidol contributes very little posts, but keeps the place clean so to speak. But another mod is probably needed in the forum, not just for this situation, but because the forum has grown significantly in the last year (I have no figures to back this up, but I defo think there are more frequent posters now than previously.

EDIT: I too had put rovert on ignore, but almost every thread on the forum has mulitple post 'debates' involving him and I end up seeing 90% of what he says through quotes, so there was no point leaving him on ignore. I just stopped posting and viewing threads there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I don't think an extra mod is needed tbh, things don't usually get very personal, just pedantic, in my opinion anyway. Few people just need to know when to stop replying.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nah, bombidol and Fozzy are doing a great job modding it, in fact Foz, to his credit has busted his balls on that forum since he took the position up a year ago.

I never said they weren't, it's not a forum I frequent so I've no personal experience of their modding. My suggestion was merely based on the fact that obviously for outside reasons neither can devote as much time as may be needed to look after that forum at the moment, and an extra pair of hands would mean that it would be more likely that there would be a mod around to nip things in the bud before they got out of hand.

I call for Rovert to be a mod

• Advertisement

I never said they weren't, it's not a forum I frequent so I've no personal experience of their modding. My suggestion was merely based on the fact that obviously for outside reasons neither can devote as much time as may be needed to look after that forum at the moment, and an extra pair of hands would mean that it would be more likely that there would be a mod around to nip things in the bud before they got out of hand.

It's monitored most times during the day and night though. bombidol, although he doesn't post much, he does keep watch a lot during the day. And Fozzy has been fine at nights, even when he's been busy.

Rovert just needs to tone it down a little. It's not just this forum that he's rubbed people up the wrong way on, he's done it on other places. I know that's no concern here. It's not what he posts, it's how he posts.

VR!

callaway92 wrote: »

Then I'm probably never gonna come back to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I agree - things often get out of hand when a quick reminder to get back on topic is all that is needed. Usually rovert is involved since he is a last word freak the like of which I have never seen before who will endlessly disect every single post which conflicts with his opinion.

Pro-wrestling is supposed to be entertaining but talking about it with rovert can be a painful experience.

I like to browse and read the forum more than discuss every single topic that comes up but since rovert started posting there just seems to be constant arguments over tiny details.

Sometimes I get involved and I admit that I have done so in order to demonstrate how ridiculous rovert can be at times in the hope that something might change.

In his defence rovert is a great source of knowledge but unfortunately he has a serious attitude problem.

I usually agree with a lot of your posts dude, but now i just think you're smoking crack. ;)

VR!

I usually agree with a lot of your posts dude, but now i just think you're smoking crack. ;)

VR!

I was only messin you know:D..P.S..Just noticed im banned from P.W for 5 days :(

I was only messin you know:D..P.S..Just noticed im banned from P.W for 5 days :(

In fairness you pretty much said yourself you were gonna be banned for those comments, so it should be no great suprise, lol!

True True haha

I know you were joking callaway, but I think we need to get back to the issue at hand here folks ;)
    VR!

but I think we need to get back to the issue at hand here folks

VR for mod? It sounds kinda dirty tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Amazing, looks like everyone can get nice and far off topic without rovert's help.

• Advertisement

Rovert doesnt take things off topic it is the other people

No thanks, not that i'm even in the running for it, but my interest in modding PW died a long time ago.

I think the opinion with a good few of the posters in PW is that PW was a fun place to have a discussion. Rovert comes along and saps the fun out of it with his dry attitude and insisting on facts, always the taker of the last word, and generally, coming off as looking like a smarmy git.

Some people can tolerate him, other's can't. Fact of the matter is, nobody should have to tolerate it.

VR!

amacachi wrote: »
    Amazing, looks like everyone can get nice and far off topic without rovert's help.

I'm trying my best here, dude.
    VR!

Rovert doesnt take things off topic it is the other people

Not entirely true, some of rovert's replies indirectly provoke arguments with a lot of the posters, because of his attitude. Technically speaking, rovert does take it off topic. If he'd be a little more civil, it would avoid a lot of crap over on PW.

It's supposed to be a forum for discussion, not argument. It's become a lot more argument based since rovert came along in my honest opinion.

VR!

I think the opinion with a good few of the posters in PW is that PW was a fun place to have a discussion. Rovert comes along and saps the fun out of it with his dry attitude and insisting on facts, always the taker of the last word, and generally, coming off as looking like a smarmy git.

Some people can tolerate him, other's can't. Fact of the matter is, nobody should have to tolerate it.

VR!

Took the words out of my mouth. I wouldn't like to see him banned or to go away, just calm down with the search for facts and just let people post an opinion without having to defend it.

The point I am trying to make though is that people make points and when he says to back it up they go all in a frenzy at him..As you said..This is a discussion board and he wants people to discuss the point they make

The point I am trying to make though is that people make points and when he says to back it up they go all in a frenzy at him..As you said..This is a discussion board and he wants people to discuss the point they make

It's not that black and white callaway, if it was just a case of requesting to back up a statement, that's fine, but he picks and picks apart and turns a discussion into an argument.

And "Proof", "False", and "WRONG!" are not exactly the best ways to request to back up a point.

To rovert's credit, he's calmed down on that aspect, but he needs to learn to stop acting like he's a prosecution solicitor on the stand, when it comes to posting. If he'd only quit that BS, i'm pretty sure all would be peachy creamy.

VR!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I read the wrestling forum alot and post from time to time.

Rovert seems to pop alot as some one who knows his stuff but doesnt have say the internet skills not to let people wind him up and gets carried away with himself. I've no problem with him but he gets carried away to easy. The cena is injured thread is one example of this

The amount of off topic posting is unreal. I've reported one or two of them. It seems that all is need is a strong hard to stop this kind of thing from happening. If an extra hand is needed I'm sure help is available

It's not that black and white callaway, if it was just a case of requesting to back up a statement, that's fine, but he picks and picks apart and turns a discussion into an argument.

And "Proof", "False", and "WRONG!" are not exactly the best ways to request to back up a point.

To rovert's credit, he's calmed down on that aspect, but he needs to learn to stop acting like he's a prosecution solicitor on the stand, when it comes to posting. If he'd only quit that BS, i'm pretty sure all would be peachy creamy.

VR!

Fair enough that is quiet annoying actually.

• Advertisement

This is a discussion board and he wants people to discuss the point they make

Why can't someone just post an opinion on a match or situation without having to back up their argument. I don't mind if someone quotes me and says he/she disagrees with mine, but to have it picked apart saying my opinion is wrong and my facts are flawed just annoys me. I have stopped posting/visiting that forum because of it and I'm sure others have too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement