Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling Forum And The Issue With rovert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'm not trying to be a prick... But am I the only one that thinks he's spamming the hell out of this thread?

No, it's just rovert using his other account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No, it's just rovert using his other account.

Thats funny............And very immature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

callaway92 wrote: »
    Thats funny............
    FUNNY LOOKING!! :cool:

haw haw haw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

nevf wrote: »
    Oh Noes. If you elevate someone inside the forum to moderatorship - No matter how hard they try, they will bring their own bias with them. Which I don't see as a practical solution either.

To my knowledge, most of our mods have been brought from with in the forum and it hasn't been a problem before!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

That you don't see anything wrong in what rovert posted makes me sad. To describe another poster's views as 'retarded' is not on, in my opinion, and deserves a warning. If rovert meant it to mean 'not fully formed', he could have said so directly. Rovert is an intelligent guy. He most likely knew what he was doing, using a word like retarded, which could have an alternative (and less offensive) meaning. The fact that you agree with his point shouldn't cloud you to the manner in which he makes it.

If he'd called MNG retarded then of course I'd have to do something. Forming an opinion about a book which uses an esoteric ranking system without knowing anything about it is "retarded" in the sense that you can't possibly have an informed opinion on the matter, at least in my opinion

It tied in with the whole "attack the post, not the poster" thing too. He attacked MNG's views that were expressed in his post

EDIT: Unique is a better word than esoteric

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    No Im not..Im saying its a very interesting thread..Just because I disagree with your point doesnt mean you need to get p'd off bud
    This is for KKV

I don't have any problem with you disagreeing with me at all. You just seem to be making lots of irrelevant posts and repeating yourself.

But enough about that, lets not go off topic again, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Fozzy wrote: »
    If he'd called MNG retarded then of course I'd have to do something. Forming an opinion about a book which uses an esoteric ranking system without knowing anything about it is "retarded" in the sense that you can't possibly have an informed opinion on the matter, at least in my opinion

It tied in with the whole "attack the post, not the poster" thing too. He attacked MNG's views that were expressed in his post

He chose his words very carefully to ensure that he could come as close as possible to calling MNG retarded without actually saying so. I saw him do the same thing to others only today. It's a common tactic of his to try to indirectly insult people without technically breaking the rules.

Seriously Fozzy, if you can't see what he did in this case then you either don't want to confront the issue or you are unable to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'd be happy to throw my hat into the ring to help mod the wrestling forum. I have an interest in wrestling and lurk on the page a good bit and post a little bit, but don't have as in depth a knowledge as VR, mng or rovert or plenty of the other posters. I don't have much of a bias since I just like to enjoy the show and don't think about the backstage stuff or anything like that so I have an interest but a certain amount of detachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I beg your pardon?

As a big Bret Hart fan I consider leaving him out of a list celebrating great Canadian wrestlers to be crazy and I used the analogy before of it being like, to me, a book celebrating NI's greatest footballers and not having George Best in it.

Would I therefore have a retarded view if I slated such a book because I did not read it?

I resent anyone telling me my views are retarded because I haven't read a book which to me is lacking major credibility due to its content.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

Rovert seems to be a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to wrestling. I appreciate when he posts information or starts a topic because its usually interesting.

I would say, I did find his one word answers incredibly irritating but in fairness that seems to have stopped (at least on the threads I read) recently.

He does seem to take himself and wrestling very seriously, and there is nothing wrong with that, but the forum is generally one of a more chatty, fun type. He may find that frustrating and his attitude can come across as confrontational and rude. Maybe its not the right forum for him, but I hope thats not the case because like I said, his post can be interesting and informative.

I do feel some people will look to get into an arguement with him just because its him and tend to berate him for dragging a thread off topic while further taking it off topic to continue their little feud with Rovert.

He can be annoying but really...he is not the only one.

On a side note the Mods on the forum do a great job and I don't think an extra Mod would resolve this issue but if they think the third Mod who am I to disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

As a big Bret Hart fan I consider leaving him out of a list celebrating great Canadian wrestlers to be crazy and I used the analogy before of it being like, to me, a book celebrating NI's greatest footballers and not having George Best in it.

Sorry for going off topic here, i just need something cleared up here.
    Is this list where he was actually in it, but just not in the top 10 (he was listed at 15)

Or is that something completely different?
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Thought I should throw in my two cents as I was one of the people involved in today's Cena thread debacle.

I got a bit frustrated, in the thread when I asked for something to be clarified and I had it thrown back in my face, unnecesarrily. I only asked for clarification of what was meant and I was treated like a child and subject to veiled insults. Had it been the first occurance of this, I probably wouldn't have been as angry as I was.

I will admit I am not as educated as Rovert on the WWE, but I don't think that should in anyway reflect the responses I receive on the board.

Pro-Wrestling is an entertainment industry. It should not provoke the sort of arguments that have occured in the last while. However I do think the main problem is a lack of clear communication between posters, not the content - obviously.

My main quibble I suppose, is that I get the feeling that Rovert doesn't see - or doesn't want to see - the opposing side's argument in many debates. I have had some debates on other internet forums and while we have come to accpet the fact that one of us may be wrong, or at the very least we can see each others points of view but disagree, there was a feeling that we had our opinions respected and were allowed to voice our views. I never experience this with Rovert. He complains of of threads going around in circles because he only hears his own side of the argument imho.

Rant over.

I beg your pardon?

Would I therefore have a retarded view if I slated such a book because I did not read it?

I resent anyone telling me my views are retarded because I haven't read a book which to me is lacking major credibility due to its content.

All I can say is read the book and get back to me. It's not comparable to Best and NI at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

He chose his words very carefully to ensure that he could come as close as possible to calling MNG retarded without actually saying so. I saw him do the same thing to others only today. It's a common tactic of his to try to indirectly insult people without technically breaking the rules.

Seriously Fozzy, if you can't see what he did in this case then you either don't want to confront the issue or you are unable to.
    I agree with this. It seems an additional moderator is necessary after this revelation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Look, forget about the context for a moment. One poster called another poster's opinions retarded. That is quite offensive. Like you say, and like I said earlier, 'retarded' could mean 'ill-formed', but it could also mean something far more offensive. It is possible that rovert, being the intelligent chap that we know him to be, knew exactly what he was doing by using this word. And even if he didn't mean it with any mallice, it could still have been construed as being offensive if someone took the wrong meaning. And I believe on Boards something is judged to be offensive not based on whether the person meant it to be offensive, but rather if it could be construed as being offensive (at least, a mod posted that before on a different forum). Like I said, it deserved a warning purely because 'retarded' has such prominant negitive connotations, but not a banning because there was no proof that rovert intended to use it in such a manner. Basically, a word like 'retarded' has no place on the PW forum, unless you are describing the character Eugene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Im going to give my opinion on this. I would echo the majority of Vince's sentiments . Now i don't post on the PW forum very often on regular threads . I would hope to be viewed as a balanced poster who doesn't loose the head.

I would post more if it was not for Rovert's attitude, id give my opinion more, however at the moment i know ill just get irritated by his comments towards myself and others.

If anyone has a question or starts a thread about a particular thread he's generally in there. Id just like him to tone down is behavior. As For Fozzy viewpoint its his opinion and he's entitled to it, but a great deal of what Rovert replies to other people's posts is condescending, insulting, and just damn right rude .

P.S PW forum at the moment has some absolutely fantastic threads going at the moment and it would be a great shame of posters to leave after such a good period time of fun and creative threads.

Actually, I'd also like to say that I think Fozzy is an excellent mod for the most part. I have been compelled to defend rovert in the past because I think some people really enjoy having a go at him, which I think is wrong. Sometimes it can feel like people are ganging up on him just because of his lack of etiquette. I'd hate to see the PW forum become a more authoritarian place. As someone who has been infracted for calling another poster 'child', I can say that Boards is often over-mod'd, and I wouldn't like to see the PW forum go down that route.

With all this talk over the 'retard' post, I just remembered the time rovert called me a fagot and got away with it. Here's the link to the post: Click ME!
    Dunno why I'm posting it, I guess its just another example of his behaviour for the boards to see.

Did you report it at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Minto wrote: »
    With all this talk over the 'retard' post, I just remembered the time rovert called me a fagot and got away with it. Here's the link to the post: Click ME!
    Dunno why I'm posting it, I guess its just another example of his behaviour for the boards to see.

Jesus, that's a bit much.

• Advertisement

Actually, I'd also like to say that I think Fozzy is an excellent mod for the most part. I have been compelled to defend rovert in the past because I think some people really enjoy having a go at him, which I think is wrong. Sometimes it can feel like people are ganging up on him just because of his lack of etiquette. I'd hate to see the PW forum become a more authoritarian place. As someone who has been infracted for calling another poster 'child', I can say that Boards is often over-mod'd, and I wouldn't like to see the PW forum go down that route.

Thats a big reason why I don't want another mod. Plus, as i said, Fozzy is a friendly, welcoming guy.

I remember this, this was another one of his jokes dragged over from another forum. Needless to say, few people found the funny side of it.

VR!

I explained this before. Minto had talked about the board on a website that he is a member of, Figure Four Online. rovert is also a member there. Minto had posted something about the Figure Four board. rovert replied to him using a sort of in-joke from that board, saying "fagot". "Fagot" is a term of affection if anything on that board

To me it's the equivalent of someone making a South Park reference and someone else replying to them using some sort of joke from the show, using an "insult" that isn't actually offensive in the context of the show

If Minto were not a member of that other board and he hadn't been posting about it then I would have taken some action against rovert

I did tell rovert not to do it again though

Did you report it at the time?

Yes and Fozzy thought it was a joke from another board, which it is, but it shouldn't have been on this forum. I just let it go tbh. I got better things to do than argue with guys like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

A troll,even a well informed and knowledgeable one,is still a troll.Its obvious he loves to play the heel and has a huge opinion of his view point and a ridiculous level of snobbery (see - I dont usually post members only information post,ummm,who cares?) when it comes to wrestling.He can be very condescending,sometimes ,which is a huge pity because alot of his posts are very enjoyable but it seems to me that he just goes out of his way to rub people up the wrong way.
    The sad thing is that he now has a thread dedicated all to himself that is already 6 pages long and methinks it will be a damn sight longer before all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I have reported rovert to Fozzy and to bomidol a few times (twice I think) after he said certain things about people or just generally bringing the board into a little bit of chaos (can't remember the specifics).

And I do think Fozzy has handled the issue too softly. However in his defense, being pretty much on his own as bombidol never seems to be an active moderator, it hasn't been the easiest place to mod I'd say over the last few months.

In saying that the vast majority of people on the board are great and alot of fun to discuss topics with.

I explained this before. Minto had talked about the board on a website that he is a member of, Figure Four Online. rovert is also a member there. Minto had posted something about the Figure Four board. rovert replied to him using a sort of in-joke from that board, saying "fagot". "Fagot" is a term of affection if anything on that board

To me it's the equivalent of someone making a South Park reference and someone else replying to them using some sort of joke from the show, using an "insult" that isn't actually offensive in the context of the show

If Minto were not a member of that other board and he hadn't been posting about it then I would have taken some action against rovert

I'm not complaining about your modding, I think you do a great job under the conditions you are in. I just think rovert gets too much freedom. Also, for the record I don't read that board, i just am signed up for the podcasts on the main site. I didn't get the joke at first as didn't a few other people.

The difference is though, South Park is accessable to many while Figure Four Online is a members only board. Minto would have gotten the joke, you got the joke as a subscriber, but anyone not a member of that board would be oblivious to it and could have been (and in some cases were) offended by his comment.

Which was a fair call.

And to his credit, he hasn't done so. But all FFW board in jokes should be outlawed in PW forum, i've always maintained that. In jokes are just annoying.

I also recall rovert once saying "if you're smart enough, you'll get the in-jokes", which is hardly justification at all.

VR!

I'm not complaining about your modding, I think you do a great job under the conditions you are in. I just think rovert gets too much freedom.

I can't agree more here, if rovert got any more rope, he'd be able to hang himself from the Empire State building, and his feet would still touch the ground! I've already vouched for Foz's modding, i don't need to do it again.

VR!

• Advertisement

Also, for the record I don't read that board

The post of yours that rovert was quoting in the post that you linked to has you saying that you read something on that board. I was therefore under the impression that you'd have got the reference, as rovert probably was too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement